NHL 11 draft. My thoughts on some players

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
Here is how I think players will turn out in a few years with my reasoning.
1. Adam Larsson - number 1 defenseman - > franchise defensemen
this young man oozes poise, positioning, great passes, decent shot and has no weakness at such a young age. He's the type of player you know is gonna get things done in his zone. His puck skills are decent but he's got creativity and great hockey sense which is why I think he will be a cornerstone to a rebuilding franchise.
ETA: NHL READY

2. Gabriel Landeskog - Brandon Morrow - > Mike Richards
this man isn't soft and will be able to carry his team in tough situations in the playoffs. We've seen how often skilled players don't meet expectations in the playoffs because they aren't willing to battle it out. This man has a bit of Forsberg in him and that's high praise. The knock on him might be not having as high a hockey sense as other top 5 players in the draft but a player with this kind of package of skill AND heart is too hard to pass up.

3. Ryan Nugent Hopkins
this is the player who oozes potential but I think needs at least another year in junior. He's got a great tool box. Probably the best hockey sense in the draft with great passes. Underrated defensive play but needs to find consistency if he wants to be a star and major impact player on his team rather just a 2nd line player. That's my concern with him. I think he has datsyuk-like potential in terms of offensive upside with a Joe-Sakic release that he definitely use a lot more at the next level because he won't have all the time in the world to set up plays. He also thinks the game so well which is why I think he will translate well despite a longer developmental curve. He should not be rushed and when he makes it to the NHL should play a lot of minutes. He's got speed to burn as well.
ETA: 2 Years
1 Junior and 1 AHL

4. Sean Couturier Jordan Staal - > Vincent Lecavalier
He does all the little things right. His puck control is great, makes sick passes, pretty good shot, sound defensively. He makes all his linemates better. I don't think he has the ability to be as successful as others project him to be because he's not as dynamic as other players above. With that being said I think he will be a solid 60-70 point player who will be extremely sound defensively.

5. Jonathan Huberdeau
He's got sick dangles, real soft hands, amazing hockey sense and is improving in all facets of his game. He has game-breaker offensive potential. Again I think this is one of the players that need proper development but he has "potential" to become an impact player on his team.
ETA to NHL: 2 Years

6. Ryan Murphy
He's probably one of the most gifted offensive defenseman that I've seen in 5 years in terms of pure skill set. His ability to dominate a game is evident already in junior. He's faster than Ryan Ellis which is why I think he will translate his game better. I would put him higher if his projection was easier to nail down. He's in my opinion this year's Jeff Skinner where some scouts rave about him and others question him.
1 Junior and 1 AHL

7. Duncan Siemens
He's nasty and he's a very good defenseman in his own zone. I think NHL teams that draft him are going to LOVE him when playoff time comes. His ability to shut down the opposition and intimidate them is just fantastic. Though he may never be a big point producer, he's going to get the puck out safely and his offensive game is still developing. I like him better than Erik Gudbranson and that says a lot of how highly I think of Duncan Siemens.
ETA to NHL: 3 Years
2 Junior and 1 AHL

8. Ryan Strome
He's an extremely dynamic player who's shown improvement in his game. He's fancy and very creative which is why I think he will succeed at the next level. When you don't have much time to think and make players, you have to be able to think ahead in the game. I think he will be very good on the PP at the next level because of his cannon of a shot. He also can hit that top gear and make plays and moves that dazzle players and scouts alike. He's going to need to add strength to his game but that will come with time.
2 Junior and 1 AHL

9. Dougie Hamilton
Great mobility for a big man. Could end up in my opinion the best player in the draft because he has so much potential. He's like Braydon Coburn with a big shot that will be an asset on the powerplay. He's got the potential to become a Chris-Pronger player in the future. That being said, his decision making isn't all that great but if he's able to improve it, he's going to be a monster at the next level.
ETA:3 Years
2 Junior and 1 AHL

10. Sven Bartschi
He's got hands of gold and an amazing release. He's also got great hockey sense and knows where to be to put the puck in the night. I believe he has to ability to be a complementary 1st line to 2nd line winger but won't be able to generate as much offense on his own because he's not superbly big or strong on the puck. He still has ways to go with his defensive game.

Joel Armia
Nikolai Kulemin potential. 30-30 goal-assist guy. He's very raw and has a great shot however I don't think he has the hockey sense to be more than that.

Brandon Saad
I see a lot of potential but he doesn't play with enough grit to warrant a top 10 pick. He has great potential because he's fast, strong puck possession and decent offensive skills. He needs to put in my opinion a more consistent effort as the NHL has 82 game season.

Honorable mentions: daniel catenacci (andrew cogliano with more potential)
(matt puempel: potential top 6 forward but I wouldn't want him on my team in the playoffs)
Ty Rattie (dynamic player but needs to simplify his game a bit, potential to be top 6 forward but has many flaws in his game that could be improved)
Maxim Shalunov
Shane Prince (gonna be a great late 1st- 2nd round pick)
Tomas Jurco (amazing puck skills, plays behind a deep team, but needs to improve decisions on ice to become better- could slip)
Nathan Beaulieu - Francois Beauchemin

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Dont know if its a bad comparison or not. But i see a lot of Kulemin in Niklas Jennsen from the Oshawa generals.
A rather big winger, who can use his size to protect the puck. Along with a above average shot. (30-30 guy aswell)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
3. Ryan Nugent Hopkins
this is the player who oozes potential but I think needs at least another year in junior. He's got a great tool box. Probably the best hockey sense in the draft with great passes. Underrated defensive play but needs to find consistency if he wants to be a star and major impact player on his team rather just a 2nd line player. That's my concern with him. I think he has datsyuk-like potential in terms of offensive upside with a Joe-Sakic release that he definitely use a lot more at the next level because he won't have all the time in the world to set up plays. He also thinks the game so well which is why I think he will translate well despite a longer developmental curve. He should not be rushed and when he makes it to the NHL should play a lot of minutes. He's got speed to burn as well.
1 Junior and 1 AHL

RNH isn't eligible for the AHL after one more year in the WHL.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Here is how I think players will turn out in a few years with my reasoning.
1. Adam Larsson - number 1 defenseman - > franchise defensemen
this young man oozes poise, positioning, great passes, decent shot and has no weakness at such a young age. He's the type of player you know is gonna get things done in his zone. His puck skills are decent but he's got creativity and great hockey sense which is why I think he will be a cornerstone to a rebuilding franchise.

2. Gabriel Landeskog - Brandon Morrow - > Mike Richards
this man isn't soft and will be able to carry his team in tough situations in the playoffs. We've seen how often skilled players don't meet expectations in the playoffs because they aren't willing to battle it out. This man has a bit of Forsberg in him and that's high praise. The knock on him might be not having as high a hockey sense as other top 5 players in the draft but a player with this kind of package of skill AND heart is too hard to pass up.

3. Ryan Nugent Hopkins
1 Junior and 1 AHL

4. Sean Couturier Jordan Staal - > Vincent Lecavalier
He does all the little things right. His puck control is great, makes sick passes, pretty good shot, sound defensively. He makes all his linemates better. I don't think he has the ability to be as successful as others project him to be because he's not as dynamic as other players above. With that being said I think he will be a solid 60-70 point player who will be extremely sound defensively.

5. Jonathan Huberdeau
He's got sick dangles, real soft hands, amazing hockey sense and is improving in all facets of his game. He has game-breaker offensive potential. Again I think this is one of the players that need proper development but he has "potential" to become an impact player on his team.

6. Ryan Murphy
He's probably one of the most gifted offensive defenseman that I've seen in 5 years in terms of pure skill set. His ability to dominate a game is evident already in junior. He's faster than Ryan Ellis which is why I think he will translate his game better. I would put him higher if his projection was easier to nail down. He's in my opinion this year's Jeff Skinner where some scouts rave about him and others question him.
1 Junior and 1 AHL

7. Duncan Siemens
He's nasty and he's a very good defenseman in his own zone. I think NHL teams that draft him are going to LOVE him when playoff time comes. His ability to shut down the opposition and intimidate them is just fantastic. Though he may never be a big point producer, he's going to get the puck out safely and his offensive game is still developing. I like him better than Erik Gudbranson and that says a lot of how highly I think of Duncan Siemens.
2 Junior and 1 AHL

8. Ryan Strome
He's an extremely dynamic player who's shown improvement in his game. He's fancy and very creative which is why I think he will succeed at the next level. When you don't have much time to think and make players, you have to be able to think ahead in the game. I think he will be very good on the PP at the next level because of his cannon of a shot. He also can hit that top gear and make plays and moves that dazzle players and scouts alike. He's going to need to add strength to his game but that will come with time.
2 Junior and 1 AHL

9. Dougie Hamilton
Great mobility for a big man. Could end up in my opinion the best player in the draft because he has so much potential. He's like Braydon Coburn with a big shot that will be an asset on the powerplay. He's got the potential to become a Chris-Pronger player in the future. That being said, his decision making isn't all that great but if he's able to improve it, he's going to be a monster at the next level.
ETA:3 Years
2 Junior and 1 AHL

10. Sven Bartschi
He's got hands of gold and an amazing release. He's also got great hockey sense and knows where to be to put the puck in the night. I believe he has to ability to be a complementary 1st line to 2nd line winger but won't be able to generate as much offense on his own because he's not superbly big or strong on the puck. He still has ways to go with his defensive game.

Joel Armia
Nikolai Kulemin potential. 30-30 goal-assist guy. He's very raw and has a great shot however I don't think he has the hockey sense to be more than that.

Brandon Saad
I see a lot of potential but he doesn't play with enough grit to warrant a top 10 pick. He has great potential because he's fast, strong puck possession and decent offensive skills. He needs to put in my opinion a more consistent effort as the NHL has 82 game season.

Honorable mentions: daniel catenacci (andrew cogliano with more potential)
(matt puempel: potential top 6 forward but I wouldn't want him on my team in the playoffs)
Ty Rattie (dynamic player but needs to simplify his game a bit, potential to be top 6 forward but has many flaws in his game that could be improved)
Maxim Shalunov
Shane Prince (gonna be a great late 1st- 2nd round pick)
Tomas Jurco (amazing puck skills, plays behind a deep team, but needs to improve decisions on ice to become better- could slip)
Nathan Beaulieu - Francois Beauchemin

Im praying the Oilers get Larrson!

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
RNH need to bulk up a lot in the summer to become NHL ready for next season. Of the top 4, he is the one least likely to make the NHL at once imo. So I agree with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->