NHL’s Next TV Deal

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
I was reading in one of the athletic mailbags last year that the NHL had at least inquired about non-cable partners, especially if they'd be involved in a content split. At least one streaming partner has inquired about feasibility for sure.

This is gonna sound crazy, I'd love to watch NHL on Netflix or Disney+ Presents Hockey.

Disney and ESPN is the same company and nhl games is already on ESPN plus.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Disney and ESPN is the same company and nhl games is already on ESPN plus.

Yeah, one has 60 million subscribers, the other has 12 million. I used the unrealistic ones because of size rather than realisticness. I mean Dazn would probably be the best bet but they only have 8 million subscribers.

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014
Whatever the NHL does they have to address the in market stream for cord cutters. It’s ridiculous that a fan cannot just pay something extra to watch every game..I love NHL.TV, MLB.TV...I just wish there was a way for me to watch my Sabres without paying a cable like streaming service.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Whatever the NHL does they have to address the in market stream for cord cutters. It’s ridiculous that a fan cannot just pay something extra to watch every game..I love NHL.TV, MLB.TV...I just wish there was a way for me to watch my Sabres without paying a cable like streaming service.

Keep waiting....As long as the league make the bulk of their media rights from companies who main source of revenue is subscriber fees this is going to be the case.

Reactions: patnyrnyg

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Okay, but you said ESPN would never get the rights, streaming or otherwise.

They ALREADY have the streaming rights.

Which makes you wrong
THERE ARE NOT STREAMING RIGHTS OTHERWISE , why bother with a National contract at all? might as well end the deal with NBC NOW and no local TV FOR ANY OF THE 32 TEAMS STARTING NOW...

MIGHT as well forget pro hockey on TV...:rolleyes:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
THERE ARE NOT STREAMING RIGHTS OTHERWISE , why bother with a National contract at all? might as well end the deal with NBC NOW and no local TV FOR ANY OF THE 32 TEAMS STARTING NOW...

MIGHT as well forget pro hockey on TV...:rolleyes:
Wow you really are clueless. You realize that streaming and digital rights are also sold by sports leagues along with cable/broadcast rights, correct?

You realize MLB's Bamtech has digital rights, ESPN plus has streaming rights, and NBCUniversal has the cable/broadcast rights, in addition to each team selling local cable/broadcast rights?

So again, what the f**k are you talking about?

Reactions: oknazevad

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Wow you really are clueless. You realize that streaming and digital rights are also sold by sports leagues along with cable/broadcast rights, correct?

You realize MLB's Bamtech has digital rights, ESPN plus has streaming rights, and NBCUniversal has the cable/broadcast rights, in addition to each team selling local cable/broadcast rights?

So again, what the f**k are you talking about?

Something something Portland Pirates.

I don't care mods, I don't care.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Could anyone see a potential MLB strike/lockout happening? I have zero knowledge of baseball’s current economics so forgive me for my ignorance. But hearing about the MLB and the PA going off on eachother about grievances and etc could start an absolute war next year no?

I wonder how that in turn could affect the NHL’s next deal if the MLB can’t come to terms. I wonder if networks get desperate at all for that ad revenue.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Great that you disagree, but that is how it works. League negotiates the national rights, teams negotiate their own local tv/radio contracts.

Ive never seen someone so wrong in my life lol
disagree....posters keep forgetting the local..... that has to be included in addition to the national contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->