NHL’s Next TV Deal

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The NHLs needs to re-up with NBC for more money.

But the league itself needs to have every game online and have every franchise push this on the fans for free to create a major online/mobile fan friendly avenue for the future

You could but the cap would go down due to less HRR

Reactions: skeena1

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
https://www.sportico.com/2020/business/media/fox-stashes-cash-for-nfl-rights-1234608579/

If Fox gets its entire sports lineup back up and running in the fall, it may very well look to confound expectations by taking on an expansionist role. Although it parted ways with the NHL back in 1999, Fox could try to outmuscle incumbent NBCU for a new hockey package, which would kick in at the beginning of the 2021-22 campaign. While NBC enjoys the benefit of a right-of-first-refusal clause and is determined to re-up with the NHL, the league is said to be considering a non-exclusive package that would accommodate at least two network groups. The current deal is valued at $200 million per year.

I still believe FOX Sports will make a big push for the NHL TV rights. I think 2/3 of FOX, ESPN, and NBC will get the rights

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
Fox Sports is struggling for content even before the pandemic. They was showing wwe re-runs, underage basketball games,etc.. Since losing the ufc, they have been going down. They definitely will be gunning for some NHL coverage. Maybe nbc can have the eastern conference home games and fs1 can get the western conference.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I consider ViacomCBS my top candidate if NBC doesn't renew.

They could air games on CBS, The CW, MTV, Pop, Paramount Network, VH1, CBS Sports Network, some kid-friendly broadcasts on Nickelodeon, and a few Preds games on CMT (which would be the only cable network owned by the company to air that team, whose games remain mostly on FSTN).

If a Nickelodeon broadcast involves the Red Wings, perhaps Jessica DiCicco could be a color commentator in character as Lynn Loud from The Loud House (the character that is into sports; the show is set near Detroit).

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Keep in mind that getting ESPN back in the fold could be a door opening for future Canadian TV contracts with Bell Media and trying to get them back into the fold. as ESPN owns 20% of TSN. Just something to think about .

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

They could air games on CBS, The CW, MTV, Pop, Paramount Network, VH1, CBS Sports Network, some kid-friendly broadcasts on Nickelodeon, and a few Preds games on CMT (which would be the only cable network owned by the company to air that team, whose games remain mostly on FSTN).

If a Nickelodeon broadcast involves the Red Wings, perhaps Jessica DiCicco could be a color commentator in character as Lynn Loud from The Loud House (the character that is into sports; the show is set near Detroit).

not everyone has CBS sports network.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I think the best for the NHL in its next US TV deal would be:

- 70%-30% split between NBC and ABC/ESPN with NBC getting 70%.
- NBC continuing its weekly games on Wednesday's on NBCSN as well.
- ESPN getting a new Thursday night game on ESPN/ESPN2
- Winter Classic and the All Star Game on NBC and not NBCSN.
- NBCU and ESPN splitting round 1 and 2 of the playoffs. (NBC gets first pick in each round)
- NBC showing all Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals game with every SCF game on the main NBC network.

Annual amount the NHL should target for this deal should be around $650M (450M from NBC and 200M from ESPN).

Reactions: Ghetty Green

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Media Mailbag: Drew Brees or Greg Olsen, Dan Le Batard's...

Richard, what exactly is CBS’s plan with regard to CBS Sports Network? What purpose does it serve? While I get they want to use Champions League and Europa League soccer to drive sales of the All-Access service why wouldn’t CBS Sports Network play a bigger role than it seems it’s going to in that coverage? – David V.

CBS has inventory with some scale (college basketball, college football, WNBA, PBR) and there is value in having a cable outlet to place some of that inventory on air as well as a place to experiment with content. The network is in roughly 60 million homes and isn’t rated by Nielsen so it’s not viewership-driven. It’s not big money play for Viacom/CBS.

Simply put, CBS will not be a player in these negotiations.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I think the best for the NHL in its next US TV deal would be:

- 70%-30% split between NBC and ABC/ESPN with NBC getting 70%.
- NBC continuing its weekly games on Wednesday's on NBCSN as well.
- ESPN getting a new Thursday night game on ESPN/ESPN2
- Winter Classic and the All Star Game on NBC and not NBCSN.
- NBCU and ESPN splitting round 1 and 2 of the playoffs. (NBC gets first pick in each round)
- NBC showing all Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals game with every SCF game on the main NBC network.

Annual amount the NHL should target for this deal should be around $650M (450M from NBC and 200M from ESPN).

I think ESPN or FOX will get a bigger piece than that for it to worthwhile for the NHL imo. They can potentially get more overall if the split is closer to 50-50. ESPN would probably ok with a CF as well with NBC retaining the SCF. I think FOX will want the SCF as well as a CF. I think a fair split between FOX/NBC would be more lucrative where sides are splitting years of SCF and WC.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think ESPN or FOX will get a bigger piece than that for it to worthwhile for the NHL imo. They can potentially get more overall if the split is closer to 50-50. ESPN would probably ok with a CF as well with NBC retaining the SCF. I think FOX will want the SCF as well as a CF. I think a fair split between FOX/NBC would be more lucrative where sides are splitting years of SCF and WC.
ESPN doesn't cover it, hasn't since 2004....unless it's a Vegas or a Seattle type story

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
Nbcsn is about to become the NHL Network during the pandemic. I just wish nbc would create a debate show for the NHL. Fans gravitate to those type of shows .

Reactions: Da Murf

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s money plus the right partner. Don’t want to end up at the bottom of the list when it comes to programming. Given the time of year, NHL is up against everything beginning in October with MLB playoffs, Q2 of NFL, NCAA football. Come November, the NBA and college basketball. January is nfl playoffs and the bigger NCAA football bow games. March is the NCAA basketball tournament. And the NHL’s playoffs coincide with the nba.

need partners who will give them the airtime throughout the season.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I was reading in one of the athletic mailbags last year that the NHL had at least inquired about non-cable partners, especially if they'd be involved in a content split. At least one streaming partner has inquired about feasibility for sure.

This is gonna sound crazy, I'd love to watch NHL on Netflix or Disney+ Presents Hockey.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The NHL should put the entire Cup Finals on broadcast TV at least starting with the next contract

No other big 4 league has any part of their final round on cable. There's a reason ESPN isn't in the Super Bowl rotation despite paying more money for its share of NFL rights than other broadcast partners.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Ok, doesn’t mean they can get a piece of the rights. That’s why the discussion is about, that cab discussed if they get a TV deal.
Fox nor ESPN will never get the rights to the NHL, STREAMING or otherwise.... you also forget that each team has a regional contract, whether they own the station or created one, ie Boston (NESN) and Chicago (Marquee)

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Fox nor ESPN will never get the rights to the NHL, STREAMING or otherwise.... you also forget that each team has a regional contract, whether they own the station or created one, ie Boston (NESN) and Chicago (Marquee)

Again that has nothing to do with the TV deal being negotiated in the future. Please has a better understanding how TV deals are negotiated, regional contracts are separate entities negotiated but the teams itself and their local RSNs. TV deals like the one NBC currently has an negotiated by the league itself.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Again that has nothing to do with the TV deal being negotiated in the future. Please has a better understanding how TV deals are negotiated, regional contracts are separate entities negotiated but the teams itself and their local RSNs. TV deals like the one NBC currently has an negotiated by the league itself.
disagree....

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Blackhawks are on NBC Sports Chicago, they have nothing to do with Marquee.

Also, ESPN has the streaming rights, so you're contradicting yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad