NHL’s Next TV Deal

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Or we realize they have been negotiating for quite sometime, so the ratings during once in a hundred years global pandemic probably wont have any tangible effect on the tv rights at all
And this is why I'm grateful for capitalism. Some people should be kept far far away from anything involving money.

We're easily in the fastest rate of digitization(of relative growth) of any 3 month period since 2000. People who normally have limited usage of the internet are being forced into going digital.

This alone could radically affect things.

I suppose a rational argument could be made that big networks can't cope with uncertainty and are sticking to " go with what you know", but this only holds true if you assume such ignorant fools will get to stay in control of megacorps.

I could very very easily see this whole thing as an excuse to give up on networks altogether and push for partnerships with other streaming services.

"Rich" corporations aren't rich because they have money. They continue to be rich because they don't make bad decisions.

Even if companiesv traditional cable companies like CBS are planning to swap hockey into their streaming services and not television, this still means the deals themselves will be very very different.

Way too many people on this sub don't get that supply and demand curves are not limited to a specific time.

A whole lot of demand is psychological. The feeling of scarcity creates the feeling of value. If you end in a period with no scarcity, you're not automatically gonna feel the impulse to buy something when it is back in scarcity.

I.e. imagine a WHA Gretsky card that only has only 100 prints.

Now imagine you find out that super rare card in fact has 1000 prints.

If I were to burn 900 of those cards to bring us back to the same supply number of 100, you're not gonna turn around and feel that same sense of scarcity because you know I'm artificially decreasing the supply.

Now multiple this concept across virtually our entire economy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Tje NHL is the only league without at least two TV partners (NFL has Fox, CBS, NBC, and ESPN. NBA has ABC/ESPN & TNT. MLB has FOX, TBS and ESPN). I can't imagine this will continue. Back in the 90's they had Fox & ESPN.

I would like to see them stick with NBC as the main broadcaster. I don't think ESPN or CBS care enough (Or know enough) about Hockey. Would they be willing to go with Fox? Joe Buck could do a few games I'm sure

You do realize that the NHL has a deal with Rogers for 5.232 billion dollars, right?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am not sure if there is really any interest of a 2nd US network. NHL has its season going on with college football and basketball going on it. It'll be hard to a 2nd network to really promote the well with those college sports going on. Nvm with the NFL going on during the first half of the NHL.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
FS1 NOR 2 need programming

Yea no, besides college basketball FS1 doesn’t have consistently prime time programming in the winter. NHL could definitely fill and help them in those months. You really should see how nonexistent that network ratings are prime time most days if MLB or college football/basketball isn’t on their channel.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
In each game you're talking about at most 20k extra eyeballs from only the home market. That's not enough to make a substantial difference in the rights fees.

The ratings generated this summer good or bad won't determine the next deal.
It’s worth a quarter of a rating point.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yea no, besides college basketball FS1 doesn’t have consistently prime time programming in the winter. NHL could definitely fill and help them in those months. You really should see how nonexistent that network ratings are prime time most days if MLB or college football/basketball isn’t on their channel.
Fox had already tried it and bombed.....why did they bolt to NBC AND NBCSN

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
tjhe point is FS1 NOR 2 need the NHL.......

That’s not true, NHL would help FS1 prime time in the ratings especially come playoff time. Please don’t response without actual facts on the situation. Considering FOX is more focused on live sports after the 21CF/FX/FOX Sports RSN deals they are definitely gonna be a heavy player in the NHL TV rights negotiations.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That’s not true, NHL would help FS1 prime time in the ratings especially come playoff time. Please don’t response without actual facts on the situation. Considering FOX is more focused on live sports after the 21CF/FX/FOX Sports RSN deals they are definitely gonna be a heavy player in the NHL TV rights negotiations.
nope.... multiple contracts from other sports rights

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
nope.... multiple contracts from other sports rights

None of which would be prohibit them from bidding on the NHL is the point I and @IU Hawks fan pointed out. If you said ESPN I would agree with you 100%. I would argue NBCSN is the strong network in terms of ratings and content over FS1. ESPN is on a different compared to both.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
FS1 needs it bad, IMO.

Big East basketball ain't exactly moving the needle. Once MLB Postseason ends, the network goes back to being a total afterthought in most people's minds.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
A lot of the recent sports media deals have been made with the idea that it'll keep people from cutting the cord.

But that hasn't been working out so well.

Pay-TV has lost 10m subscriptions since 2018, about 12% of total subscribers.

Maybe the high cost tv deals have slowed subscriber losses, but they certainly haven't stopped them. It also leaves pro leagues with diminishing exposure to consumers. However, hockey fans are the wealthiest of pro sports fans in North America, with 1/3rd of viewers earning over $100,000 (as of 2014). So that plays into the NHL's favour.

Are they considering people who left for streaming apps like AT&T Now, Hulu+, and Sling, "Cord cutters", though? Because they've jacked the price up enough on that that it's pretty much the same difference. (Sidenote, AT&T Now is trash, live sports have had issues with video lagging behind audio since the start of last CFB season)

This is well deserved though. TV provider's business model has been trash for over a decade. They put one or two must have channels in a higher package with a bunch of filler trash that nobody wants , and then they charge an extra $20-$30 a month for it. I haven't watched TV since the day the NHL shut down, but I'm supposed to keep paying $45/mo for the channels I couldn't give two shits about? If they want to know why people are cutting the cord, look no further.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The idea that any sports broadcasting network, "Doesn't need content", is laughable.

These leagues have been doubling and tripling their TV deals over the last five years because networks are starving for content. Hell, if a dying company like the WWE can get a $2B deal from FOX, that should tell you all you need to know.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I do hope that they're wise enough to not go as long on this deal. That last NBC deal was idiotic. Sure it was good money up front but the amounts they were getting in later years was not what they would be getting had they been a part of a new deal by then. Basically they took short-term gratification for long-term loss, as they usually do.

Oh yeah another reason not to go long-term that I just remembered. In 5 or 7 years, for all we know, online streamers like Amazon might enter the sporting market big time. We've already seen the big market share DAZN has with the EPL in North America. It would be really stupid to lock in to a single TV network for the long-term but Gary Bettman's regime always makes the short-sighted safer decisions (which in this case I think are unsafe).

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Oh yeah another reason not to go long-term that I just remembered. In 5 or 7 years, for all we know, online streamers like Amazon might enter the sporting market big time. We've already seen the big market share DAZN has with the EPL in North America. It would be really stupid to lock in to a single TV network for the long-term but Gary Bettman's regime always makes the short-sighted safer decisions (which in this case I think are unsafe).
DAZN has Premiership rights in Canada only. DAZN in USA is for fight fans only.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NBC Sports’ calendar is going to be awfully full come September with the Stanley Cup, NASCAR, NFL, US Open, resumption of the triple crown, Indy Car, ND football and the Premier League (assuming it resumes back on schedule).

re: USGA rights. If I have read the various reports right it seems like Fox will be paying more for the USGA events to air on NBC/Golf Channel than NBC will be paying for them.

Last edited:

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
The NHLs needs to re-up with NBC for more money.

But the league itself needs to have every game online and have every franchise push this on the fans for free to create a major online/mobile fan friendly avenue for the future

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The NHLs needs to re-up with NBC for more money.

But the league itself needs to have every game online and have every franchise push this on the fans for free to create a major online/mobile fan friendly avenue for the future

Every out of market game and non-nationally broadcasted game is online at NHL GameCenter, which is very reasonably priced.

The NHL should not put every game online for free. That's not how the sports entertainment business works. There is absolutely no rational or logical basis behind "if it's free, then people will watch it." Increasing numbers of people every year are watching hockey without it and it has become increasingly more online and fan friendly. The NHL loses a ton of revenues if you simply make every single game available online and for free. That takes away every single team and league TV contract because no TV channel/provider is going to show your games when they're available for free and legally elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad