NFLPA calls for ban on artificial turf due to increased injury

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Sounds fine and dandy, but 13 of the league's 30 stadiums us synthetic turfs. A few are in domed environments, like Ford Field, where grass has no real way to grow (even with the glass windows), and some of the northern climates, like CenturyLink Field and MetLife Stadium, opted for synthetic turf due to the winter conditions.

"Turf toe" and other injuries are common due to the lack of give on synthetic fields, but I'm not sure those places will accept the change so easily.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The old Giants Stadium tried a tray system a few years ago, where they grew natural grass in large modular trays. They could switch out sections of the field that got worn down. It was installed in 2000, and removed in 2003 in favor of Field Turf. The grass deteriorated during the season, and players rated the grass surface for late season games as worse than the old astro-turf. Technology has likely advanced in the last 17 years, but I don't think any grass field is going to stand up to 16+ games in NJ climate between Sept-January.

Reactions: DaveG

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The old Giants Stadium tried a tray system a few years ago, where they grew natural grass in large modular trays. They could switch out sections of the field that got worn down. It was installed in 2000, and removed in 2003 in favor of Field Turf. The grass deteriorated during the season, and players rated the grass surface for late season games as worse than the old astro-turf. Technology has likely advanced in the last 17 years, but I don't think any grass field is going to stand up to 16+ games in NJ climate between Sept-January.

NRG Stadium used a similar system, and they subsequently installed an artificial surface as a replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad