OT: NFL: Welcome to Teddys Playhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I've been saying Fire Howie for years, it's about damn time some of you jumped on board.

thatsnoneofmy.jpg

Reactions: SnS and Chinatown88

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
3 years 50M with 30M guaranteed.

Can someone who is much more knowledgeable on the NFL Cap and how it works break that down for me? Imagine I'm Michael Scott asking how a budget surplus works :laugh:

You'll see terms like guaranteed and fully guaranteed tossed around. If the latter is used, that means the money is guaranteed against Skill (cut as a result of not being good enough), Injury, and Cap (the team needs the space). Just "guaranteed" means at least one of those three categories is missing somehow.

We'll take Byron Jones as an example. He was announced at 5/82 with ~54 in total guarantees and ~45 fully guaranteed. He got a 15 MM signing bonus and fully guaranteed salaries in 2020 and 2021. Those three items add up to the 45 in full guarantees. He can also eventually get ~9 MM more in guarantees by both being on the Dolphins' roster on the 5th day of the 2022 league year (unless he's hurt) and playing in 2022.

Basically, Jones signed a giant 2-3 year deal with some Team Options tacked on the end. The Dolphins could trade him after 2021 or cut him after 2022 reasonably easily.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You'll see terms like guaranteed and fully guaranteed tossed around. If the latter is used, that means the money is guaranteed against Skill (cut as a result of not being good enough), Injury, and Cap (the team needs the space). Just "guaranteed" means at least one of those three categories is missing somehow.

We'll take Byron Jones as an example. He was announced at 5/82 with ~54 in total guarantees and ~45 fully guaranteed. He got a 15 MM signing bonus and fully guaranteed salaries in 2020 and 2021. Those three items add up to the 45 in full guarantees. He can also eventually get ~9 MM more in guarantees by both being on the Dolphins' roster on the 5th day of the 2022 league year (unless he's hurt) and playing in 2022.

Basically, Jones signed a giant 2-3 year deal with some Team Options tacked on the end. The Dolphins could trade him after 2021 or cut him after 2022 reasonably easily.

I got you. Thanks.

So I'm not sure what to make of this new contract. Seems like they both paid a big price (since Detroit had little leverage as Slay made it widely known he wanted out) AND paid big on a contract.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I got you. Thanks.

So I'm not sure what to make of this new contract. Seems like they both paid a big price (since Detroit had little leverage as Slay made it widely known he wanted out) AND paid big on a contract.

They did. And you said you didn't understand NFL contracts. ;)

It could all work out. Slay was very good for a long time. It just feels like they got worked from various angle in all of this in a make or break offseason for this regime. I like the idea of him quite a bit. I don't like paying market value on multiple fronts for almost anyone.

Reactions: Chinatown88

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was an extension, which means from the Eagles perspective it's a 4 year deal, with a $10M salary in 2020, or $60M for four years. $30M guaranteed may include guaranteeing his 2020 salary, a signing bonus of $9M and guaranteeing most of his 2021 salary - which you'd expect to pay in any case. We'll see when the details come out.

Slay also has the speed and size to move to FS in a couple years if he has the smarts and can tackle, he should still be in the 4.4 to 4.5 range at that point.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

If they were going to go for Slay, I really would have preferred they also beat this. That's dirt cheap.

I just hope the other thing coming is not Ngakoue.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Now reports they are heavily interest in Yannick Ngakoue. @JojoTheWhale what do you think of the possibility of acquiring him? Same as any usual deal? Compensation and trade comp impacts your thoughts?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'd take Yannick. I just don't want to imagine the dollars on that contract.

It's not that he's a bad player. It's that there's an awful lot of noise in those Sack totals. We're still in a phase where the league as a whole overvalues Sacks relative to overall pressure, as evidenced by Clowney's situation. For example:

ESRT-EkXkAEbUM3

He's the anti-Brandon Graham. He doesn't win his reps very often on the premium pass rusher scale and he's not a Von Miller where you understand why he finishes such a large percentage.

*Edit* @Prongo

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Now reports they are heavily interest in Yannick Ngakoue. @JojoTheWhale what do you think of the possibility of acquiring him? Same as any usual deal? Compensation and trade comp impacts your thoughts?

I admit, I'm confused if we get Ngakoue.

I was all for it 5 days ago (literally my top FA target), but unless you can get rid of Malk it seems to be too much on the D-Line. May have to give up a 1st for him (although the Jags are morons, so I could see it just being a #2).

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
It's not that he's a bad player. It's that there's an awful lot of noise in those Sack totals. We're still in a phase where the league as a whole overvalues Sacks relative to overall pressure, as evidenced by Clowney's situation. For example:

ESRT-EkXkAEbUM3

He's the anti-Brandon Graham. He doesn't win his reps very often on the premium pass rusher scale and he's not a Von Miller where you understand why he finishes such a large percentage.
So what you're telling me is that we're trading Nate Gerry for Ngakoue?

Yeah I understand your point Jojo. I honestly think it would be another move just for the sake of having another big "name". I could be all for it depending on the numbers and the trade compensation. But we shall see what Howie does and the anticipation is making me clench my butt.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So what you're telling me is that we're trading Nate Gerry for Ngakoue?

Yeah I understand your point Jojo. I honestly think it would be another move just for the sake of having another big "name". I could be all for it depending on the numbers and the trade compensation. But we shall see what Howie does and the anticipation is making me clench my butt.

I owe you an apology. I should have explained that graph. The Y Axis is Pass Rush Win Rate. The X Axis is the rate at which he was Double Teamed. So he's sort of winning his reps, but he's not getting Double Teamed so the degree of difficulty isn't high. Not a guy that you should be jumping at handing out high end EDGE rates.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Forget Ngakoue. Save that capital to move up in the draft for Lamb or Jeudy. Trading our first for Ngakoue (which is likely what it will cost) means that Carson Wentz will be throwing to JJAW and practice squaders by week 6 again... They desperately need to draft one of the top receivers in this draft.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

ESRT-EkXkAEbUM3

*Edit* @Prongo
Explain plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad