Injury Report: NFL Week 11: Triage

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not even completely sure what a stinger is, but they've ruined my day and I now hate them.
Injuries.... can't do anything about them. Going to happen.

When building a team, you have to pay for guys in their 2nd contracts, which the Seahawks have done with Thomas, Sherman, Wilson, Baldwin, Kam, Wagner, etc. And you supplement those big contracts with good young players on their rookie deals.

Over the past 4 seasons since winning the Super Bowl, the Hawks draft hasn't been as good as it was during that 3 year period where they amassed the likes of Sherm, Kam, Wright, Maxwell, Thurmond, Lane, etc on day 3 of the draft.

Top 3 picks for the hawks in the past 4 years were Richardson WR, Britt C, Marsh DE in 2014, traded for Graham, Clark DE, and Lockett WR in 2015, Ifedi OT, Reed DT, Obimjombo OT, Prosise RB, and Vanett TE in 2016, and McDowell DT, Pocic C, Griffen CB, Jones DT, Hill S in 2017.

Best performing guys for them on rookie deals are Britt when moved to C, Clark, Reed, Lockett and Griffen. Others have disappointed like Ifedi and Obi on the OL and Richardson, McDowell, and Prosise struggled with injuries.

When guys approach 30 and need a 3rd contract that's when teams have to decide whether the guys coming off rookie deals are worth the big money or whether they need to extend their big money guys for another contract.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Seems strange to lose both Avril and now Kam to neck stingers for the rest of the year, just a few weeks apart. Bad luck. Many are surmising that both players should walk away for good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This season is basically becoming Rollerball. Except, like, everything is a penalty.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems strange to lose both Avril and now Kam to neck stingers for the rest of the year, just a few weeks apart. Bad luck. Many are surmising that both players should walk away for good.
Agreed. But, it also emphasizes that players need to get paid when they can.

I argue that the next CBA, as much as people talk about the commissioner's powers, protests, etc. it should come down to money for the players given the physical nature of their sport.

Instead of 4 year deals with 1st rounders having a 5th year option and Undrafted FA getting 3 year deals, and then add in the franchise tag which you can do for 2 seasons realistically, I think the PA should be aiming for 3 year deals out of college and no franchise tagging or option years. Get everyone to their 2nd contract asap.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Saints DE Alex Okafor out for the season with a torn Achilles which suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks because he was having a great season, this poor guy can't catch a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad