NFL to add Black Friday game, on Amazon, starting 2023/4

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
NHL is shifting their Black Friday game to TNT this year. And a doubleheader by the look of things.

Curious to see if cable vs. streaming might actually give the NHL a puncher's chance for eyeballs?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Up to a point in time during the year. HS probably done their season by then
They just can’t be within so many miles of another college football game, but not as many teams play on Black Friday as people think.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
They just can’t be within so many miles of another college football game, but not as many teams play on Black Friday as people think.
Actually the NFL is barred from competing with college football only on Saturdays.

That being said, the college football world should react to the NFL placing a game on Black Friday by increasing the amount of CFB games actually played on Thanksgiving.

On the broadcast network front, CBS can air a Big Ten game, with its time slot depending on whether CBS has the Lions game or the Cowboys game. They can also air a Big 12 game at night (under my proposal for CBS to replace Fox as an OTA broadcaster for the Big 12, and FS1 being replaced by Paramount Network and TNT on the cable front, which would ideally coincide with the Big 12 adding Boise State, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple and Tulane in 2025 in fact being given huge financial incentives to do so by CBS, ESPN and Turner).

Fox can air an early Big Ten game in years they have the Cowboys game, and a late Pac-12 game when they have the Lions game. Whatever conference Fox doesn't air in the afternoon between the Big Ten and the Pac-12 can occupy the primetime slot.

NBC can air a Big Ten game in between the National Dog Show and the NFL game.

ABC can air a tripleheader, headlined by Texas-Texas A&M at night

On cable, ESPN would continue to air the Egg Bowl, while ESPN2 would rotate the four ACC-SEC rivalries in the Thanksgiving night slot.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Actually the NFL is barred from competing with college football only on Saturdays.

That being said, the college football world should react to the NFL placing a game on Black Friday by increasing the amount of CFB games actually played on Thanksgiving.

On the broadcast network front, CBS can air a Big Ten game, with its time slot depending on whether CBS has the Lions game or the Cowboys game. They can also air a Big 12 game at night (under my proposal for CBS to replace Fox as an OTA broadcaster for the Big 12, and FS1 being replaced by Paramount Network and TNT on the cable front, which would ideally coincide with the Big 12 adding Boise State, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple and Tulane in 2025 in fact being given huge financial incentives to do so by CBS, ESPN and Turner).

Fox can air an early Big Ten game in years they have the Cowboys game, and a late Pac-12 game when they have the Lions game. Whatever conference Fox doesn't air in the afternoon between the Big 12 and the Pac-12 can occupy the primetime slot.

NBC can air a Big Ten game in between the National Dog Show and the NFL game.

ABC can air a tripleheader., headlined by Texas-Texas A&M at night

On cable, ESPN would continue to air the Egg Bowl, while ESPN2 would rotate the four ACC-SEC rivalries in the Thanksgiving night slot.
Ok, you say they should, but never say why. This is an absolutely awful idea, going up against the NFL is suicide.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I mean why should CBS stop at the Big Ten? CBS can also have Big 12 games at noon most weeks, with the Big 12 being in primetime when the noon slot has an Air Force CIC Trophy game. Then after late local news, to compete with SNL, CBS should air an MW game. This would require new 48 Hours episodes to air at the same time across the lower 48 states and Alaska.

Ok, you say they should, but never say why. This is an absolutely awful idea, going up against the NFL is suicide.
The NFL and CFB already compete most Thursdays.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I mean why should CBS stop at the Big Ten? CBS can also have Big 12 games at noon most weeks, with the Big 12 being in primetime when the noon slot has an Air Force CIC Trophy game. Then after late local news, to compete with SNL, CBS should air an MW game. This would require new 48 Hours episodes to air at the same time across the lower 48 states and Alaska.

No they don't. That's not competition. They're just filling air and giving people something to bet on.

Reactions: oknazevad

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Many times a CFB game on a given Thursday night is more attractive than the NFL game being played that night.

Plus there's always been CFB games on the actual Thanksgiving holiday although there is just one this year, the Egg Bowl. I'm advocating for more.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Many times a CFB game on a given Thursday night is more attractive than the NFL game being played that night.

Plus there's always been CFB games on the actual Thanksgiving holiday although there is just one this year, the Egg Bowl. I'm advocating for more.
Go look through the schedule and tell me how many games you actually feel this way about this season.

Reactions: oknazevad

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

‘Many times.’ No there isn’t. It never happens. No college football games of consequence are ever played on Thursdays.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Wk4: WVU/VT
Wk7: BAY/WVU
Wk8: UVA/GT
Wk9: VT/NCST & UTAH/WSU
Wk13: MISS ST/MISS

Those are all the Thursday P5 matchups. That's it, that's the list.

The only game with even a remote chance of being more compelling than the NFL game that night is week 7, if and only if Baylor is undefeated. It's up against WSH/CHI.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Go look through the schedule and tell me how many games you actually feel this way about this season.
Maybe if this was the time when the NFL saved TNF for effectively divisional matchups where you would get JAX-HOU in November, he'd have a point.

Now, when they are bringing out actually interesting and somewhat compelling matchups? lmao not a chance in hell.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The move to Amazon may help because in theory you could have both games on at the same time if you watch one on your computer.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

it gets complicated.

PGA is changing their schedule in 2024. Instead of having august be playoffs, thry are moving it to February I believe, this coukd change golf scheduling.

you coukd thrn have Saturday be the final round. Thry run this say till 4 pm, followed by 430 pm football going to 8 pm prinetime. in sept/ Oct they coukd do west coast golf tournament and run them from 6-9 pm. The afternoon have kicks off at 130 pm on cbs

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
NHL is shifting their Black Friday game to TNT this year. And a doubleheader by the look of things.

Curious to see if cable vs. streaming might actually give the NHL a puncher's chance for eyeballs?

NFL game isn't starting 2023.

The NHL doubleheader this season begins after the US/England World Cup game. Their main competition will be Florida/Florida St. on ABC.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
ABC will have college football games to air

Of course. I think Fox and CBS will have college football as well. The market will be as divided as usual, but I meant it as a 1 for 1 comparison -- how close to a streamed NFL game can a the NHL get on a cable broadcast?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad