NFL Season Game Structure

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
1. Division rival games should be played only on the first weeks and last weeks of the regular season? (Example: Weeks 1-2, Weeks 16-17)

2. Playing in other countries besides England and Mexico?

3. All 32 teams get the same bye week in the middle of the season. (Between Weeks 8 and 9) The only downfall is 1 week without the NFL, only college football.

4. Shorten or keep the 4 preseason games? Also, should we keep or eliminate the HOF game?

5. Should we make the Pro Bowl in the middle of the season (just like the NHL) or before/after the Super Bowl. Even though many people won't watch it after the Super Bowl, it doesn't show all of the players who made it to the Super Bowl.

My Answers:

1. It would be a great way to start out and to finish the season by playing your rivals.

2. I think the NFL should go global. Just think of all of the people in the world who may not even know about football. It would be a great experience for the fans and the players. Who knows, by going global, we may have new foreign players that could make an impact on the league. The only downfall is the cost, but I think NFL teams/players can afford one trip to a random country.

3. It would be helpful for all of the teams because everyone is getting a week off. Even though some of teams benefit what we do now, it would be a slight disadvantage if a rested team played a team that had a short week.

4. We should shorten it down to 3 games to avoid injuries. Just like 3 strikes, if you fail to make the roster in 3 games, you're a FA. Maybe they can make a rule where the starters can only play a part of or the entire 1st quarter and then the rest of the game only includes backups/rookies. Wouldn't be a shame if one of your best players gets hurt in a preseason game? Also, the less games you have to prove yourself, the player's motivation increases.

5. The Pro Bowl in the middle of the season would be too much of a hassle. The NHL has 82 games in their regular season, so they can fit it in the middle. We only have 17 weeks in an NFL season plus the playoffs and preseason. The best option is after the Super Bowl. I would rather see All of the players, even the ones who made it to the Super Bowl. Also, the HOF game is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
1. Division rivals are 6 games, so you'd need to expand your weeks. I like when they're toward the end, but don't really care about opening the season with them.

2. Sure.

3. I honestly don't hate this.

4. Absolutely shorten it, but that'll never happen due to lost revenue for the owners. People should just stop going to these games.

5. No. The last thing a team wants is for someone to suffer an injury midseason in a meaningless game.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I always thought the Probowl should be during the offseason. Somewhere between March-June. Players are rested up and maybe have more of an incentive to play and fans would appreciate having football during the offseason.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In response to #3, the NFL will never eliminate a week of televised football.

Something to add to the list:

6. Only teams that are coming off a bye week can play in Thursday night games.

Add a bye week and give everyone 2 byes. I really don't get why the NFL doesn't do this. You get an added week, players get an extra week's rest which should help them. The downside would really be that the extra week would come in January and not Labor Day weekend, but everyone would get over it.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
With the bye weeks I'd like to see 2 bye weeks for each team. This season they could start the season on Labor Day Weekend (September 2) and still have the season over (December 30).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They wouldn't move it up to Labor Day weekend because a bunch of the stadiums are rented out for college games.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I don’t think we’ll ever see 18 regular season games because the players would want more money.

414, Expanding to 18 games would be more wear & tear added to an already physically grueling schedule. So it would make sense (to me) that players union would initially resist adding regular season games.. or if the expansion became inevitable, (as u mention) players would negotiate for more $.
Revenue would be the only motivation for season expansion.. bcuz adding 2 more games doesn't really help clarify anything that can't be determined in 16 games. My opinion, there was nothing wrong w/the 14 game season. NFL season expansion is a case of fixing something that isn't broken..

Reactions: Melrose Munch

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
414, Expanding to 18 games would be more wear & tear added to an already physically grueling schedule. So it would make sense (to me) that players union would initially resist adding regular season games.. or if the expansion became inevitable, (as u mention) players would negotiate for more $.
Revenue would be the only motivation for season expansion.. bcuz adding 2 more games doesn't really help clarify anything that can't be determined in 16 games. My opinion, there was nothing wrong w/the 14 game season. NFL season expansion is a case of fixing something that isn't broken..

Oh, that too. I don’t think expanding to 18 will ever happen, nor should it.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Can't see the players and their union supporting this.

Why not? 18 weeks, not 18 games, in case you were confusing what I was suggesting.

18 games is a no go at this point, because of the safety concerns, IMO. Giving another bye weeks helps in terms of safety, specifically if its in front of the Thursday night game. And 1 more week of games is more TV revenue for the league.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Why not? 18 weeks, not 18 games, in case you were confusing what I was suggesting.

18 games is a no go at this point, because of the safety concerns, IMO. Giving another bye weeks helps in terms of safety, specifically if its in front of the Thursday night game. And 1 more week of games is more TV revenue for the league.
18 weeks is not terrible if they start the season earlier but 18 games isn't something to consider as a player. So yeah I didn't read your post close enough.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
18 games is ok if there is two bye weeks. 6 games, bye and then repeat until end of season. 18 games would also make more money as we all know.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't see the problem with a mid season all star game. Every other league does it and have rarely, if ever had a problem with injuries.

The pro bowl is so low effort it may as well be a vacation. And it would serve as a great way to get guys an extra break.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't see the problem with a mid season all star game. Every other league does it and have rarely, if ever had a problem with injuries.

The pro bowl is so low effort it may as well be a vacation. And it would serve as a great way to get guys an extra break.

It's injuries. Plain and simple.

I don't get the interest in the pro bowl regardless of when it is, from the fans perspective though. Who cares?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I misunderstood your earlier post. I’d be okay with adding an 18th week as long as that 18th week is an extra bye.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Realistically, only 2 preseason games, and add an extra bye week (start the season in late august), so the end of the season continues as usual.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
2 preseason games, 2 bye weeks, instead of the pro bowl, just send the players out to do a skills competition or something and interact with the fans.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It's injuries..
I don't get the interest in the pro bowl regardless of when it is, from the fans perspective though. Who cares?

Yeah.. I'm with u. Pro Bowl generates little interest. NFL has tried to tweak it, with the backyard style draft displacing the conferences competing..
I think they moved the game up a week at some point, and re-located it too (?)
But like the season expansion, I view it as a futile effort to fix something that's not broken.
Pro Bowl is by nature a low intensity effort, so will remain low interest.. & like u said, who cares. NFL gives fans a great regular & post-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad