NFL Rumors: Amazon's Jeff Bezos Interested in Purchasing NFL Team

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Amazon mogul Jeff Bezos is reportedly interested in purchasing an NFL team and has supporters in ownership circles.
Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported the interest from the world's richest man, though there is no team currently up for sale. La Canfora noted the Seattle Seahawks will be sold after late owner Paul Allen's death, and the NFL has "concern" about the Denver Broncos' ownership situation.
Bezos has a net worth of more than $110 billion, making even the most expensive NFL franchise a relative pittance to his overall checkbook. He's one of the very few people on earth who could buy an NFL franchise in cash, which makes him an attractive potential owner for the league.
Washington owner Dan Snyder has reportedly grown close to Bezos, who is in the process of moving to the nation's capital. Snyder has tried and failed for years to find funding for a new stadium in the city. FedExField is in Landover, Maryland, which is about 10 miles outside of D.C.
La Canfora noted there is a possibility Bezos could aid Snyder in his pursuit of a new stadium.
Amazon already has a partnership with the NFL to stream Thursday Night Football. It's possible Bezos will look to continue to broaden his relationship with the league from a business perspective, rather than become an owner himself. The league's television contracts are up for renegotiation, and the NFL could look to dip deeper into the streaming game with a more exclusive, long-term partnership with Amazon.

NFL Rumors: Amazon's Jeff Bezos Interested in Purchasing NFL Team

Could be a good owner to bring NFL into tech era.

Original source: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos interested in owning NFL team, has strong support among current owners

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Jody Allen had decided to keep the seahawks instead of selling them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Green Bay Amazon Packers anyone?

Real talk, he's got so much money that essentially any league would want him even if he turns out to be a micromanager. You don't get an option to get a "world's richest human being" added to your ownership mix very often.

Heck, he could probably buy every team in the league and still have money leftover.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I know nothing about the Titans current ownership, but Nashville is one of the cities they recently chose for a major office presence (smaller portion of HQ2). Maybe?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Bezos buying a team is all fine and dandy but there has to be a willing team owner that wants to cash out. So him buying the chargers or buying the redskins only happens if the team owners want to cash out.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Jets? Woody Johnson is a semi absentee owner due to being an Ambassador to the UK.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Bezos buying a team is all fine and dandy but there has to be a willing team owner that wants to cash out. So him buying the chargers or buying the redskins only happens if the team owners want to cash out.
A large percentage of the Titans has been for sale since the owner (Bud Adams) died. Most of his family wants out of the football business

No takers yet for one third of Titans

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Jets? Woody Johnson is a semi absentee owner due to being an Ambassadorto the UK.

His kid is running the team and he's also not going to be ambassador forever. Plus owning an NFL team (especially in NYC) is a cash cow.

Speaking of, Bezos has no options unless an owner wants to sell. Given history, teams are almost never available.

Panthers were only sold because Richardson was outed as a racist and accused of sexual harassment.Before that you had the Bills who were sold because Ralph Wilson (who founded the team) died and I guess his family wanted to cash out. His family tho wanted someone with Buffalo/NY roots to buy it and thats where Pegula fit in.

Here’s The Purchase Price Of The Last 10 NFL Franchises Sold - And Who Bought Them

In the last 20 years, only 1/3 of the league has been available for purchase. NFL teams print money, even when they are ran by guys like Dan Snyder or Dean Spanos. IIRC the TV deal is so lucrative that it essentially covers all the operating costs for a team each season, meaning its near impossible to lose money. Basically a license to print money.

His best bet is to lobby for expansion, which he can surely afford. & while it should irrelevant as I hope he keeps his nose out of it, he also owns the WaPost so if there has ever been any articles critical of the league or some of the owners, that would be held against him even if its not fair & he isn't involved in the publishing.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
His kid is running the team and he's also not going to be ambassador forever. Plus owning an NFL team (especially in NYC) is a cash cow.

Speaking of, Bezos has no options unless an owner wants to sell. Given history, teams are almost never available.

Panthers were only sold because Richardson was outed as a racist and accused of sexual harassment.Before that you had the Bills who were sold because Ralph Wilson (who founded the team) died and I guess his family wanted to cash out. His family tho wanted someone with Buffalo/NY roots to buy it and thats where Pegula fit in.

Here’s The Purchase Price Of The Last 10 NFL Franchises Sold - And Who Bought Them

In the last 20 years, only 1/3 of the league has been available for purchase. NFL teams print money, even when they are ran by guys like Dan Snyder or Dean Spanos. IIRC the TV deal is so lucrative that it essentially covers all the operating costs for a team each season, meaning its near impossible to lose money. Basically a license to print money.

His best bet is to lobby for expansion, which he can surely afford. & while it should irrelevant as I hope he keeps his nose out of it, he also owns the WaPost so if there has ever been any articles critical of the league or some of the owners, that would be held against him even if its not fair & he isn't involved in the publishing.
Toronto and Austin/San Antonio are market’s the NFL could expand to and maybe be successful. I don’t see St. Louis version 3 if it ever happens ever going over well the Rams departure helped the blues and two teams is about right for the city.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Toronto and Austin/San Antonio are market’s the NFL could expand to and maybe be successful. I don’t see St. Louis version 3 if it ever happens ever going over well the Rams departure helped the blues and two teams is about right for the city.

Football will sell in Texas no matter what but I don't know if Austin and SA are great choices for expansion.

An NFL team would do great in Toronto and I think that would be the next best place to expand. However I doubt Bezos would be interested in that, unless he was a Ballmer-Level super fan who just wanted a team & would do whatever it takes to get one.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Football will sell in Texas no matter what but I don't know if Austin and SA are great choices for expansion.

An NFL team would do great in Toronto and I think that would be the next best place to expand. However I doubt Bezos would be interested in that, unless he was a Ballmer-Level super fan who just wanted a team & would do whatever it takes to get one.
the problem in Toronto, though, is the same argument/discussion we see over a non-Leafs team going head 2 head with Bell and the established MLSE

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
the problem in Toronto, though, is the same argument/discussion we see over a non-Leafs team going head 2 head with Bell and the established MLSE

NFL trumps CFL a million times over.

CFL is pretty garbage, there are more NFL fans in the GTA than CFL fans. I think MLSE or someone else would jump at the chance to have an NFL team, thats a money maker right there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
NFL trumps CFL a million times over.

CFL is pretty garbage, there are more NFL fans in the GTA than CFL fans. I think MLSE or someone else would jump at the chance to have an NFL team, thats a money maker right there.
BUT ISN'T THAT WHY Buffalo did that toward the end of the Ralph Wilson tenure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->