NFL: NFL proposes 14-team playoffs, 17-game season, 3-game preseason (CBA approved)

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

7 teams and one bye per conference. Using this past season’s standings as an example:

AFC:

1. Baltimore gets the bye

7. Pittsburgh at 2. Kansas City
6. Tennessee at 3. New England
5. Buffalo at 4. Houston

NFC:

1. San Francisco gets the bye

7. LA Rams at 2. Green Bay
6. Minnesota at 3. New Orleans
5. Seattle at 4. Philadelphia

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I hate this

I understand why they'd do it, more playoff gate revenue, but more teams making the playoffs cheapens the accomplishment

Does anyone really think that the 2019 Steelers or Rams were playoff caliber teams? Because that's who would have made it this year

Edit: To add insult to injury, doing this to the playoff bracket AND adding a 17th regular season game is offensive

Both moves are money hungry cash grabs by the richest owners in North American sports, give your players guaranteed contracts you f***ing ghouls

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Seems weird to change all of a sudden but I'll gladly swap a preseason game for another playoff game.

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
Not really loving this idea much at first glance. It only waters down calibre of teams that get into the playoffs, even if is just one team per conference.

Also seeing that they are going to add a 17th regular season game, cut down on preseason games, reduce training camp practices, and reduce regular season practices. These ideas are bad for the players. Reducing practices even more will only diminish the quality of play on the field, and a 17th game only increases risk of injury for the players.

The NFLPA shouldn't agree to this, but they likely will for less practices, and probably a weaker weed policy. This is dumb on their part. Future me will definitely be pumped for another weekend of regular season football, and two extra games on Wild Card weekend.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't bring myself to complain about more meaningful football and less meaningless football. Getting the #1 seed will also mean even more now under this proposal and could make the race for that spot more compelling towards the end of the season.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I can't bring myself to complain about more meaningful football and less meaningless football. Getting the #1 seed will also mean even more now under this proposal and could make the race for that spot more compelling towards the end of the season.

Yeah finishing top of your conference would give you a huge advantage with a week off.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Players better be fighting like hell for an extra bye week.

I don't like one team getting a bye either, would rather it be 3 or 4 even if that meant going to 8 teams.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Another sport breaking a playoff system that wasn't broken.

I know the answer to "Why?" is of course money and we'll all still watch but I hate this change for the sake of change. Added more playoff teams just makes your regular season more meaningless, waters down your postseason and despite what people might say, it will not stop tanking. Maybe an extra team or 2 in the dreaded purgatory range try a little harder, but your Bengals, Dolphins, etc-esque teams are still gonna tank.

The NHL started this by going back to an antiquated divisional format, the NBA is discussing some stupid play in tournament to be the jobber 8 seed, the MLB wants to add another 2 teams to water down their playoffs and have the World Series played in the cold in November (and the laughable draft your opponent TV show), and now this.

It's almost perfect the way it is. The only changes I'd make is either A) eliminate winning the division = automatic birth or B) said division winner must go on the road if they WC team has a better record.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
So do they start Labour Day weekend, get rid of the off week before Super Bowl, or have Super Bowl the second Sunday in February? Either way I like it. Move the Super Bowl to Saturday and I’m all in

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I’m with you brother. I kinda really love the idea of the one seed standing alone for a week. A cool reward for leading your conference.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Another sport breaking a playoff system that wasn't broken.

I know the answer to "Why?" is of course money and we'll all still watch but I hate this change for the sake of change. Added more playoff teams just makes your regular season more meaningless, waters down your postseason and despite what people might say, it will not stop tanking. Maybe an extra team or 2 in the dreaded purgatory range try a little harder, but your Bengals, Dolphins, etc-esque teams are still gonna tank.

The NHL started this by going back to an antiquated divisional format, the NBA is discussing some stupid play in tournament to be the jobber 8 seed, the MLB wants to add another 2 teams to water down their playoffs and have the World Series played in the cold in November (and the laughable draft your opponent TV show), and now this.

It's almost perfect the way it is. The only changes I'd make is either A) eliminate winning the division = automatic birth or B) said division winner must go on the road if they WC team has a better record.
How about making the nfl even more exclusive playoff wise?

8 divisions, 8 playoff teams.

It would be nice to not have to have “kirk” around an extra week or two.

You like that?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't necessarily hate the idea but I'd rather just leave it the way it is.

I do like the idea of less preseason games though.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So do they start Labour Day weekend, get rid of the off week before Super Bowl, or have Super Bowl the second Sunday in February? Either way I like it. Move the Super Bowl to Saturday and I’m all in
The stated goal for awhile has been to push the Super Bowl back 2 weeks to President's Day weekend. They'll add an extra bye and make it a 19 week season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One problem with moving to start Labor Day weekend (again, this is how it was for a while in the 90s) is that college football has to move their schedules up as well with all of their neutral site games.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Saw that. Of all the recent playoff format changes proposed by the leagues (MLB, CFL and now NFL) this 1 is my favorite by far.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I like it and usually hate these changes [really dislike the NHL going away from 1v8]
I think this makes things a bit more fair, there's usually a clear difference between the #1 seeds and the #3 seeds. I'm not so sure that there's often a big difference between #2s and #3s, and the bye week is a huge advantage. There have been years when a #2 seed has a worse record than a #3 but still gets a bye. I also think it makes more regular season games more meaningful and more relevant, which is good.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'd almost rather see them go to 8 per. If you're going to water it down to the point of #2 not getting a bye, take away 1st's too. The advantage is too great for something that comes down to a tiebreaker about half of the time.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
If it still goes-

6 vs your 3 divisional buddies
4 vs another division in conference
4 vs another division out of conference
2 vs other same finish team in conference divisions you don’t play

Where does your 17th game come from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad