NFL/NCAA Coach Watch 2018/19

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Here's why that matters. Les can build a staff filled with high end recruiters that can get into Texas. The best player on the roster is a 4 star kid from Nola. Les can recruit the shit out of Louisiana. This is a low pressure gig. Perfect for him.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That's a good hire for Kansas. Whether it works remains to be seen but Jayhawk football fans should be excited for the future of the program.

Also...

Yeah I forget about that 2007 team they had.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Here's why that matters. Les can build a staff filled with high end recruiters that can get into Texas. The best player on the roster is a 4 star kid from Nola. Les can recruit the **** out of Louisiana. This is a low pressure gig. Perfect for him.

Some people are acting like the expectations from Kansas people will be like competing with Oklahoma & Texas. As they’re bashing the hire based off the end of his LSU days. If he can get them into 5-6 win territory with a chance to go bowling they’ll build that guy a statue.

The way I see it even if he doesn’t get the on field results he’ll at least leave a better roster in 4-6 years for the next guy.

Reactions: BKarchitect

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is like a retirement gig like Lou Holtz had in South Carolina. If he can get Kansas up an running, it will help his legacy. If he doesn't, nobody will remember nor care.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Some people are acting like the expectations from Kansas people will be like competing with Oklahoma & Texas. As they’re bashing the hire based off the end of his LSU days. If he can get them into 5-6 win territory with a chance to go bowling they’ll build that guy a statue.

The way I see it even if he doesn’t get the on field results he’ll at least leave a better roster in 4-6 years for the next guy.

Kansas alumn and basically these are my thoughts as well. Even if you believe his time at LSU was overrated, there’s little doubt Miles is a quality, veteran college HC who can recruit. The base line for him at KU is to simply run a professional and competent P5 football program. Get to a few low level bowl games after a season or two of building, attract some higher class recruits, energize the donor base to spend some money on a new stadium and surround himself with some good coordinator talent who can take the baton and continue the progress after he leaves. In particular, really need to see who he gets as OC/QB coach with all his issues with the position at LSU and the Jayhawks having totally incompetent QBs basically since Todd Reesing left after the Orange Bowl winning season a decade ago.

If he accomplishes that checklist (modest by most measures but a huge step up for KU) - I’ll go one better than a statue - I’d let them name the new stadium or at least the field itself after him.

Still - it’s a better hire than most of us could have expected. We aren’t worried so much about some of the critical coaching errors Miles may have made in his LSU tenure in high leverage situations. Hes a big name but unlike that slob Charlie Weis he’s a born and bred college guy and even after a few years out of the game, I think he’s a good fit to jump start a moribund program.

Last edited:
Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What are they going to pay him per year? If it's in the 3mil range than he's going to have make a bowl yearly which I'm not sure he can do at least right away and especially every year. I know they have a big budget for basketball not sure what they have for football. Would think a keep up and comer like a Matt Campbell before he got to Iowa State would be the better route.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What are they going to pay him per year? If it's in the 3mil range than he's going to have make a bowl yearly which I'm not sure he can do at least right away and especially every year. I know they have a big budget for basketball not sure what they have for football. Would think a keep up and comer like a Matt Campbell before he got to Iowa State would be the better route.

I just think this is too big of a job to risk on an up-and-comer. We've done that before with Turner Gill and that set the program back like 5 years. We then hired a big name in Charlie Weis to fix it and that was like throwing lighter fluid on a tire fire. We then went with the unknown but "local Texas ties" younger guy in Beaty and he was in way over his head. So we've failed with up and comers and big names - the difference between a Weis hire and a Miles hire being again that Les is college through-and-through and Weis was just a pompous d-bag.

Yeah, with a young guy you could really hit it and have your legacy coach for the next decade plus whereas Les is at most probably a 5 year hire. But this task is so big and daunting - I think experience is the way to go. There's also little risk of Miles bolting if he has a surprisingly good start to his tenure. Hire an innovative young OC to groom with Miles actually building back the program and IMO that gives you the best shot at a turnaround. This is a way more daunting task than Iowa State was in 2016. It's a complete structural rebuild. The HC cannot simply be the superintendent on the job - he's got to be the demolition contractor, the surveyor, the engineer, the construction manager and the head fundraiser. It's a big, big task and not for somebody without experience.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Rumor is he's going after Graham Harrell from North Texas as his OC/QB/Coach in waiting.

Makes no sense for Harrell. I can't see him waiting 5 or so years just to be the coach at Kansas. If it was a big time school then sure but he could be a HC well before Les is finished at a school as good or better than Kansas.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Miles probably won’t cost too much from year to year in base salary. I doubt he has a lot of options out there & Kansas is probably offering him a long leash so he’s more than likely going to see the entirety of his contract.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Am I living in bizarro world? What is going on here? Football can't be this difficult.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Miles probably won’t cost too much from year to year in base salary. I doubt he has a lot of options out there & Kansas is probably offering him a long leash so he’s more than likely going to see the entirety of his contract.

He just gave up like 6mil from LSU to get back into coaching, they're going to have to pay him decent to good just for that alone.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He just gave up like 6mil from LSU to get back into coaching, they're going to have to pay him decent to good just for that alone.

That’s pretty much going rate these days for P5 coach. There’s no downside to that for Kansas. They’re at rock bottom & been so for a long time. Les isn’t going to have any pressure for a while there.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Les is the right move for Kansas. They have to bring that programs reputation and talent level off of the mat. He brings instant credibility and will probably be the best recruiter in the teams history on day one. No, his gameday coaching is not always the best, but right now Kansas just need someone who can make them competitive every week and get them in a good position to make a long term hire in 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad