NFL/NCAA Coach Watch 2018/19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think he can be good but that's still surprising. He has been an OC and called plays for three games so going from his role to a HC would be a pretty big leap. They could also be looking at him as an OC if Kitchens gets the HC job.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Part of me likes this and part of me is wary, but it's about time the Jets hired an experienced coach, and one with an offensive system no less

1999 - Al Groh
2000-05 Herm Edwards
2006-08 Eric Mangini
2009-14 Rex Ryan
2015-18 Todd Bowles

All first-time head coaches, all defensive backgrounds.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McCarthy isn't great and it was time for him to go but he's not as bad as he's made out to be either. He can probably help a young QB like Darnold and bring some stability to the Jets. He's just not the innovative offensive mind everyone's looking for these days but that's okay.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Makes sense given the leaps the offence made after Hue was canned. Baker seems to trust him.

Tough call. The offense was good for them by the end. This could be Baker appeasemeent. This guy has no head coaching experience though. I feel like Baker needs someone that will discipline him at times. The whole Hue Jackson thing ON THE FIELD was just stupid. It reminded me of when he was at Oklahoma and stamped the flag at midfield on the logo in Columbus. Which reminded me of TO spiking the star. I still find it funny he became a Cowboy.

Baker can play but needs to keep his head in the game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dolphins short list is down to Kris Richard and Darren Rizzi essentially...bleh.

If we assuming McCarthy goes to the Jets, that leaves only them and Cincy with vacancies. Hue Jackson, come on down.

If i'm anyone on that Bengals team i'm demanding a trade in anticipation.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm glad Stefanski is staying with the Vikings. It still remains to be seen if he's good but I'll take my chances with him over some of the retread options.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Dolphins short list is down to Kris Richard and Darren Rizzi essentially...bleh.

If we assuming McCarthy goes to the Jets, that leaves only them and Cincy with vacancies. Hue Jackson, come on down.

No "big name" wants to coach Miami knowing that the tank is now on. (Tank for Trevor, baby!) I'd like Rizzi to be given a shot.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Kris Richard is a really good coach who was railroaded in Seattle and turned a position of weakness (Dallas secondary) into a position of strength. He was the defacto DC for Dallas on the recommendation of the actual DC.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It is amazing not one of these teams decided to hold out for someone in the final eight, everyone's like Veruca Salt - I want a coach and I want him now!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It is amazing not one of these teams decided to hold out for someone in the final eight, everyone's like Veruca Salt - I want a coach and I want him now!

They need to get their infrastructure in place for the off-season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To sit out?

When no one wants you that isn't a choice

And there were 8 openings this year and he wasn't a top candidate not sure what will change in a year

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think that's entirely the story. He essentially shut down all interest when it was leaked that he was considering only the Jets job. No team is going to bother to reach out when the answer's already no.

Like it or not, as crappy as he seems to be sometimes he's a super bowl winning coach with a pretty solid resume. Come 2020 he'll have a few parties interested easily. Look at Mike Shanahan. He vanished for 2 years and had teams kicking down his door anyways.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I think you may have as many jobs open next offseason, if not more. You may have a couple of decent franchies and situations open up next year. There really wasn't a great job this offseason. Cleveland or NY could easily flop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->