OT: NFL hypothetical question

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Sitting there watching football today, I came up with a hypothetical question. If you took the best quarterback in the NFL (no matter who you think that is), and put him on the worst team (again, whatever team you feel that is), and played them against the best team with the worst quarterback, who do you think would win?

I would say the best team with the worst quarterback, since, although the quarterback is arguably the most important position in sports, football is pretty much the ultimate team game.

What do you all think? Just an inane query to pass the time.

And for extra credit, the age old question : Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses, or 1 horse-sized duck, and why?

dasboot

Jajajaja
Sep 12, 2010
Best team would win most of the times. Good defense and a good running back can win games easy.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If you put a top QB on KC they would instantly challenge any team in the NFL.

They put Andrew luck into a 1-15 team now they are 11-5.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The NFL is a QB driven league. Just take a look at some of the bottom teams in the NFL last year that added a QB and how they are this year. 3 of them are in the playoffs with Washington, Indy and Seattle.

QB's win in the NFL.

Go Bills. :(

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The Chiefs are the exception to the rule. Them and the Jags. Even Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Drew Brees couldn't make those teams winners, at least not the way their rosters are currently put together.

Everyone else? Probably.

The Colts were far better built to win than the Chief were (and they play in a division with the Jags and Titans, which always helps, haha)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And for extra credit, the age old question : Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses, or 1 horse-sized duck, and why?

1 horse-sized duck. Ducks are still "big": 100 angry, duck-sized horses stampeding at you is unavoidable death. They'll outrun you for sure, and even at 1/4 the size are strong like crazy.

One horse-sized duck, you've got a chance. Get yourself a weapon, and a one-on-one fight is much more to your advantage. I'll take a "mano a mano" fight over being swarmed any day.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I'll take the better team.

Football has as much to do with the o-line and d-line. You give an average QB 2 extra seconds and he becomes an all-star(Matt Cassel when he was a patriot).

Just to argue
I'll take the 100 duck size horses(although horses do like to bite).
Horses can't climb
If you know how strong a small duck's wing is, it would break you in 2(if its 5 times bigger)

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O

Nitpicking, but I think Indy was 2 - 14 last year , though I think that was in part that they were on the 'suck for luck' bandwagon (i.e. they were the NFL version of the Edmonton Oilers, except that they tanked one year, not 3 and counting).

1 horse-sized duck. Ducks are still "big": 100 angry, duck-sized horses stampeding at you is unavoidable death. They'll outrun you for sure, and even at 1/4 the size are strong like crazy.

One horse-sized duck, you've got a chance. Get yourself a weapon, and a one-on-one fight is much more to your advantage. I'll take a "mano a mano" fight over being swarmed any day.

I would agree with this, except that horses are MUCH more than 4 times the size of a duck.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I always view the QB question like goaltending in hockey. A great QB doesn't guarantee that you will win, but bad play from the QB position pretty much guarantees that you will lose. I look at teams like Arizona and Buffalo, and felt bad for their fans and players - no way they could win consistently with the QBs they had.

You didn't always need a spectacular QB to win in the past - Baltimore winning a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, and Tampa Bay with Brad Johnson, are two good examples. Those guys weren't brilliant, but they were good game managers who knew their limitations, made smart decisions, and didn't turn the ball over. With a great D and a good running game, that got it done. Over these last few years, though, the passing game has evolved to the point where you wonder if that model will ever get it done again...

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
The Chiefs are the exception to the rule. Them and the Jags. Even Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Drew Brees couldn't make those teams winners, at least not the way their rosters are currently put together.

Everyone else? Probably.

The Colts were far better built to win than the Chief were (and they play in a division with the Jags and Titans, which always helps, haha)

yes they could easily turn the offenses around

The cheifs don't have a pass game so defenses stack the box against the only offensive threat in charles if they could pass to a premier wide out in Dwayne Bowe they would be set on Offense, defenses would have to actually guard the pass and the rush.

as for JJ they once again have an amazing RB and just need a competent QB to throw to a modest WR core.

both these teams don't have the best defenses but it's obvious by the fact that they just can't score points that a top QB would pretty much turn both these franchises around.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
What if you took the best team in the NFL with the best quarterback, but then you made him duck sized?

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

Depends on the size of these ducks for me, as well as the horse-duck's jumping ability. If it were possible to hypothetically get higher ground and then pick them off one by one, that would be ideal. But the more I think about it, the more unlikely it would work, assuming they are extremely pissed off and blood-thirsty.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Coaching is much more important than the QB. The Chiefs aren't even that bad at most important positions but they have a terrible head coach. Crennel will always and forever be a defensive co-ordinator. He's great at that job but not head coach material. If they just would have given Hillis and Charles more carries, they'd be almost a .500 team. Instead they put the ball in the hands of Brady Quinn and Matt Cassel far more often than they should have and gave the other team great starting position on so many key drives.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm concerned about the future at QB, but far more concerned about who will replace the coaching staff and GM. The secondary needs a lot of work too. The loss of Brandon Carr was HUGE.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Depends on the size of these ducks for me, as well as the horse-duck's jumping ability. If it were possible to hypothetically get higher ground and then pick them off one by one, that would be ideal. But the more I think about it, the more unlikely it would work, assuming they are extremely pissed off and blood-thirsty.

I would say that the horse-sized duck would have only the capabilities of any normal duck, it would just be much larger. Similarly for the duck-sized horses.

:nod:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
...As a Chiefs fan...

Here's my impression of you on Sundays:

sadman.gif

:sarcasm:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'll take the better team as well. A QB is important but a football game is more than just 1 player.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
I would take an average team with a great qb over a good team with a brutal qb.

But never take the worst team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad