NFL considering own streaming service

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Might be $5/month

After cutting the cord, I only have access to games I can watch on TV via ESPN family of channels. I can watch on my phone (Verizon/Yahoo -- for free), but not condusive to actually WATCHING the game on small screen

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
To me the sentence that is most interesting is

“However, outside companies usually will pay so much more for the rights than the NFL would make if it cut out the middleman”

Like companies are paying such a massive premium just to prevent the idea of the NFL going at it on their own.

Reactions: Voight

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The figure of $7.5B/year for the Sunday Ticket rights has been tossed around a lot recently. With the prospective targets being big streaming platforms that could sub license to other carriers if they choose.

That would be quite a lot for the NFL to generate on their own platform.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Wouldn't make sense their TV deal is worth more than American football is. They've got such a nice set up. Even if everyone who watched the superbowl(100 million or so) bought the service, which they wouldn't, that's only generating 1.5 billion per month at 15 dollars, I'm sure you could charge more, of the active season. When you realize the figures would more likely be 20 million users even at a higher price point their TV deal grosses more than that. Cable advertisement pays more than streaming as well. Plus then you're messing with all the local TV deals for each team. I don't think they'd make even 20% of what they make now.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The figure of $7.5B/year for the Sunday Ticket rights has been tossed around a lot recently. With the prospective targets being big streaming platforms that could sub license to other carriers if they choose.

That would be quite a lot for the NFL to generate on their own platform.
But they could still sell Sunday Ticket, this is only for the mobile-only package of local TV games that Verizon has owned for awhile.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
This would work only if they don't do any blackouts. Many games are on TV so that could cause many games to be blacked out and defeat the purpose of people switching to this.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This would work only if they don't do any blackouts. Many games are on TV so that could cause many games to be blacked out and defeat the purpose of people switching to this.
This is for the local TV games you already get, but only so you can access them on your phone.

They're thinking about paywalling something that Verizon offered for free on Yahoo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad