NFL 18 game season? UPD 2021 planned for 17 games

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
It would drive some crazy betting lines, but there’s zero reason for the regular season to start before Labor Day or end after New Years. Especially for only 7 extra jobs per team.

The last thing they need is more inventory.

Goodell is the definition of a useful idiot.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It would drive some crazy betting lines, but there’s zero reason for the regular season to start before Labor Day or end after New Years. Especially for only 7 extra jobs per team.

The last thing they need is more inventory.

Goodell is the definition of a useful idiot.

Of all the 5 sport commissioners (the big 4 + MLS) Goodell is the worst.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
if they drop 2 preseason games...?

and 90 man rosters? :help:

I'm pretty sure that's what the plan is. The CFL used to have a similar schedule as the NFL (4 preseason games + 16 regular season games). Quite a number of years ago they reduced the number of preseason games to 2 and increased the regular season to 18. The overall result was the same number of games played (20) but with less preseason games. This allowed teams to increase revenue since regular season games draw more fans than preseason games.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm of the opinion this was a red herring during the last lockout the get player concessions. I really think the NFLPA will be spoiling for a fight with Goodell this time around.

Jon Bonham

Jun 24, 2019

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Easiest way to solve this is have a 16 game season, but 18 weeks thus 2 byes.

It'll be hard scheduling, but every team that plays on a thursday gets the previous week off.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I saw that. Yeah, the 18 game regular season really doesn't make sense no matter how they propose to do it.
They always start the weekend after labour day. NCAA gets the labour day weekend to kickoff their season.

So it would mean pushing back the super bowl until late February if they did add the 2 extra games and bye week.

Unless the nfl is going to make the start of their season labour day weekend, thus they hold the Super Bowl around feb 18-21.

Pre season, easy enough to lose the 2 extra games if teams hold scrimmages with 2 other teams instead. Can better get in the reps needed that way.

But all comes down to whether the PA and owners can agree. Can the players use the 18 game season to do limit rookie deals to 3 years with no team option for first rounders, no franchise tags, increase share of revenue, extra bye week, etc.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
They always start the weekend after labour day. NCAA gets the labour day weekend to kickoff their season.

So it would mean pushing back the super bowl until late February if they did add the 2 extra games and bye week.

Unless the nfl is going to make the start of their season labour day weekend, thus they hold the Super Bowl around feb 18-21.

Pre season, easy enough to lose the 2 extra games if teams hold scrimmages with 2 other teams instead. Can better get in the reps needed that way.

But all comes down to whether the PA and owners can agree. Can the players use the 18 game season to do limit rookie deals to 3 years with no team option for first rounders, no franchise tags, increase share of revenue, extra bye week, etc.
Yes, they would definitely start Labor Day weekend and then the Super Bowl would be President's Day weekend.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I would like more NFL Football. I would propose two bye weeks and have regular season start the end of August instead of September. The roster can expand to 10 players each. The salaries go up and owners make more money. For those of you looking at the meaningless games, How about the games that go down to the end of the season?
Imagine not playing your star QB because his 16 game limit is up. That would be some challenging ball.

Reactions: Hull and Oates

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure that's what the plan is. The CFL used to have a similar schedule as the NFL (4 preseason games + 16 regular season games). Quite a number of years ago they reduced the number of preseason games to 2 and increased the regular season to 18. The overall result was the same number of games played (20) but with less preseason games. This allowed teams to increase revenue since regular season games draw more fans than preseason games.

The first 2 regular season games IMO act as quasi preseason games in the CFL. Teams are still ironing things out that you cant do in just 2 preseason games.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

I wish the NFL would go back to opening on Labor Day weekend. It’s stupid not to do it. Having the next day off from work after opening day was outstanding.

That said hate the idea of 18 games but players only play 16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->