NFL cancels 2021 scouting combine

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Also sucks for Indianapolis, cause we lost the NBA All-Star Game and conventions.

Sure, there's the whole March Madness that will be all around Central Indiana, but will that be enough to compensate?

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Other than finding out a guy is actually 6'2" instead of the 6'5" his college listed him at, I'm not sure what good comes out of the combine other than teams being able to use reams of data to cover themselves if they make a bad draft pick(the combine numbers were really good.) Nice that guys can press 225, but that tells you a guy can bench. A guy who can run a fast 40 can....run a fast 40. Doesn't mean he can keep up the speed carrying the ball and be able to cut.

BUt I guess NFL Network gets some filler programming over the off season.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Also sucks for Indianapolis, cause we lost the NBA All-Star Game and conventions.

Sure, there's the whole March Madness that will be all around Central Indiana, but will that be enough to compensate?

I live in Las Vegas. Primary revenue is from conventions and entertainment/gambling.

Haven't been any conventions or large events since March essentially. Billions lost. (CES was virtual this month.)

Hotels closing mid week as there aren't enough folks visiting due to lack of conventions to draw folks in. (There are a few hotels that HAVE NOT REOPENED since March 2020.) Air travel is down 65% IIRC.

(Mayor has been pushing for a few years to diversify from hospitality as main industry in town. Didn't get too far down that road before everything got shut down. LV was in on Amazon HQ2 - offered 10k acres for campus on northwest of valley; IIRC they were in top 20 finalists.)

EDIT: Some of what has been lost:

NFL entry draft (including grand opening of new Caesars (corp) convention building where fan fest was supposed to be.
NFR and junior rodeo, Cowboy Christmas, et al
NBA Summer League
CES 2021 - including debut of new convention center west building, Boring Company people mover
Dozens of concert events including EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival), numerous musical residencies
Rock and Roll Marathon (on the Strip)
18 months+ of events at the Smith Center (all theatres), including Hamilton tour

And a few other events:
All the Live Events, Movie Releases, and Productions Affected by the Coronavirus

(Yes, the NFL did play. The NHL and AHL are playing/practicing. The WNBA, MiLB, USL didn't. UNLV had truncated season. Even hosted a few college football games from schools exiled by local authorities -- family only in attendance, if any fans in the stands.)

2nd edit: 30%+ unemployment in April. And that was with numerous employers paying all workers for a number of months. Many other companies have let go of folks since. One of (if not the) highest unemployment rates for any large city in the US.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->