NFL Buffalo seeking $1+ billion from public for new stadium & threatening a move to Austin

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ah, the age old threat to move if they don't get public monies for their new shiny toys.

Bills seek $1.1 billion new stadium in Orchard Park – paid for by public | State and Regional News | buffalonews.com

Report: Austin Bills? Texas city mentioned as 'possible' for team relocation

Depending on how things go, might lead to a poisoned well situation for the Pegulas and their other possession, the Sabres. I'm sure that there'll just be a few rounds of chest pounding by both sides before a new stadium gets financed with merely a ridiculous amount of public money going in rather than a ludicrous amount.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah it's the age old threat if we don't get a new stadium we move threat.

There's still some time before the rubber hits the road on this.

Part of the equation is a) is there really a stadium plan being offered in Austin and b) if there is along with no deal in Buffalo, would Jerry Jones be in favour knowing how much sway he has in the board while also not keen on a 3rd team in Texas

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
They should move. Buffalo is a dying city that is too small anId irrelevant for NFL.

Part of the equation is a) is there really a stadium plan being offered in Austin and b) if there is along with no deal in Buffalo, would Jerry Jones be in favour knowing how much sway he has in the board while also not keen on a 3rd team in Texas

I guess they can share U of T stadium.

But honestly San Antonio seems like a more realistic target considering they have stadium that is dying for a tenant as opposed to Austin.

Last edited:
Reactions: berklon

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Can the Pegulas go a day without doing something to piss off Buffalo?

Go get private investors, other owners have done it (Gillette Stadium didn't use a dime of public money)

Reactions: SoupNazi

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If the Bills move to Austin, swap them to the AFC South and Jacksonville to the AFC East - the Jaguars fanbase has always wanted Miami in their division, this could be the chance for that to happen.

But of course, I would prefer a more radical realignment

A Bills in Austin could result in this:

AFC:
E: Baltimore, New England, NY Jets, Pittsburgh
N: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Tennessee
S: Austin, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami
W: Denver, Kansas City, Las Vegas, LA Chargers

NFC:
E: Carolina, NY Giants, Philadelphia, Washington
N and W: Same
S: Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If the Bills move to Austin, swap them to the AFC South and Jacksonville to the AFC East - the Jaguars fanbase has always wanted Miami in their division, this could be the chance for that to happen.

AFC:

NFC:

You will NEVER see Pittsburgh and Cleveland broken up as division rivals

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
You will NEVER see Pittsburgh and Cleveland broken up as division rivals
Under my proposal, the Steelers would still keep the Ravens as a rival. That's the one the matters the most.

Or the NFC East broken up either.
Dallas in the NFC East is one of my biggest pet peeves. If they were in the NFC South now, they'd have Tom Brady in their division. He's more marketable than any QB for the other NFC East teams. Though long-term, geographic proximity and the potential rise of Ian Book would make New Orleans the biggest rival of the Cowboys.

Yes I realize fans will be disappointed at losing longtime rivalries. But the teams will develop new ones.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Back in 2014 Jeremy Jacobs looked into buying the Bills BUT the NFL told him he would have to sell the Bruins to do so.

Then a year later the NFL allowed this sham transition.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/...ep-rams-transfer-nuggets.html?iana=ind_sports

The National Football League today finally signed off on a cross-ownership arrangement five years in the making that lets sports magnate Stan Kroenke hang onto his St. Louis Rams and keep his Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche in the family.

The plan reportedly calls for Kroenke to formally transfer ownership of basketball's Nuggets and hockey's Avalanche to a family trust with his son, Josh Kroenke, continuing to run the Colorado franchises. Kroenke turned over day-to-day operations of the Nuggets and Avs to Josh Kroenke two years ago.

NFL rules say that one of its owners can't also directly own pro franchises in another city with an NFL team.

Jeremy Jacobs Issues Statement on Pegulas Buying Bills

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I am surprised they are not using Toronto as a stalking horse. The GTA whould be an extremely viable market for the nfl.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Back in 2014 Jeremy Jacobs looked into buying the Bills BUT the NFL told him he would have to sell the Bruins to do so.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/...ep-rams-transfer-nuggets.html?iana=ind_sports

The National Football League today finally signed off on a cross-ownership arrangement five years in the making that lets sports magnate Stan Kroenke hang onto his St. Louis Rams and keep his Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche in the family.

The plan reportedly calls for Kroenke to formally transfer ownership of basketball's Nuggets and hockey's Avalanche to a family trust with his son, Josh Kroenke, continuing to run the Colorado franchises. Kroenke turned over day-to-day operations of the Nuggets and Avs to Josh Kroenke two years ago.

NFL rules say that one of its owners can't also directly own pro franchises in another city with an NFL team.

I remember when that went down, and found it really shady.

But now that the Rams are back in LA, you have to wonder if that plan was part of this, and the NFL allowed Kroenke to "transfer" ownership of the Nuggets and Avalanche knowing that he would help bring the Rams back to LA.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I am surprised they are not using Toronto as a stalking horse. The GTA whould be an extremely viable market for the nfl.
There are no plans to build an NFL cailber stadium in Toronto.

Rogers Centre is baseball only and will likely be replaced. BMO Field will likely be expanded to 45K seats for the World Cup in 2026. Still wouldn't be suitable

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
There are no plans to build an NFL cailber stadium in Toronto.

Rogers Centre is baseball only and will likely be replaced. BMO Field will likely be expanded to 45K seats for the World Cup in 2026. Still wouldn't be suitable
And everyone knows that the city and the province would tell any would-be GTA NFL owner to kick rocks if the wanted a publicly funded stadium.

NFL will only come to Toronto if in some distant future Toronto gets the Olympics and repurposes a new stadium for football. There is no way public money goes for an NFL project.

Reactions: Mightygoose

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
And everyone knows that the city and the province would tell any would-be GTA NFL owner to kick rocks if the wanted a publicly funded stadium.

NFL will only come to Toronto if in some distant future Toronto gets the Olympics and repurposes a new stadium for football. There is no way public money goes for an NFL project.
I think privately funding an NFL stadium in Toronto could work, as opposed to Buffalo.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Under my proposal, the Steelers would still keep the Ravens as a rival. That's the one the matters the most.

Dallas in the NFC East is one of my biggest pet peeves. If they were in the NFC South now, they'd have Tom Brady in their division. He's more marketable than any QB for the other NFC East teams. Though long-term, geographic proximity and the potential rise of Ian Book would make New Orleans the biggest rival of the Cowboys.

Yes I realize fans will be disappointed at losing longtime rivalries. But the teams will develop new ones.
Steelers, Ravens, Browns, and Bungels will never be broken up as a Division.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Not sure the 3rd team in Texas would hurt his bottom line all that much. No idea how the fanbase is split in the Austin area (C*wb*ys vs Texans vs Other). I doubt a current STH from the Austin area who makes the trip to D*ll*s on a regular basis is going to switch allegiances. Projected loss of merchandise sales for C*wb*ys gear will not matter as that revenue is pooled and split league-wide through the licensing.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

How do you think Jacobs would’ve handled the Bills stadium situation had he been able to buy team and keep the Bruins? I’m sure he would’ve threatened to move to a Northeast city

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How do you think Jacobs would’ve handled the Bills stadium situation had he been able to buy team and keep the Bruins? I’m sure he would’ve threatened to move to a Northeast city

He probably would've threatened to move. But I wonder if it would make a difference with Buffalo being his home. He spends all his time up there anyways, only Charlie is in Boston

About the only area Jacobs loosens his purse strings for is real estate and development.

He built TD Garden with loans and not public money (granted this was in 1992 before public welfare for stadiums was a thing). But he has renovated it a couple times including a full gutting a couple years ago.

He also just built The Hub on Causeway, putting a shopping center, a whole new facade and 2 towers on the footprint of the old Garden.

pg-11-Hub-On-Causeway_088.ashx
HIRBN_Hub+on+Causeway+%283%29.jpg

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

bro, you really don't get how the NFL works do you? Neither of these things is happening.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

AFC:

NFC:
They are not doing a drastic re-alignment due to 1 team moving. If they were going to move D*ll*s out of the NFC East, it would have been in 2002 when they re-aligned to 8 divisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad