NFL: NFL and the Chargers considering a move to London

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Should have let Raiders move into LA

Everyone said Chargers being 2nd team was mistake

As for London I hate idea of fulltime NFL team there and would rather see San Antonio get Chargers

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Raiders and LA fans have to be doing a collective massive WTF at this. Freaking idiot Spanos blocked the team that a lion's share of the locals wanted and the end result is possibly a few years in a soccer stadium before moving to a bigger soccer stadium on the other side of the planet? If Spanos didn't like being sixth fiddle in LA, I wonder how he's going to be owning a team less popular that a dozen soccer teams in London?

And how does Las Vegas feel about about this? Are they going to be looking at their team as mercs looking for a chance to go to their preferred target at the earliest possible moment under their lease?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
So the Dolphins would be moving to the AFC south and the Texans to the AFC West. Not too sure I like the idea of the Dolphins moving. Like the Texans moving though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It was also kroenke who didn’t want the raiders. He knew the chargers would not take over the market whereas the raiders very well could. Didn’t want to be second fiddle in his own stadium.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
My understanding is Kroenke didn't want to share the LA stadium with anybody. This only became and issue when Spanos and Davis tried their shared plan.

Now that the Raiders will settle in Vegas, I don't see any issue with him having the Chargers leave. If it happens, would Spanos have to pay a relocation fee a second time? It may be such an embarrassment, they should pay him to move.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The issue with London is that you can never play a prime time EST game there. The team could never play a home game on TNF, SNF or MNF.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Or better, having a full time team in London creates more 9:30 EST start times which the league can sell as a new TV package. A second team would give them a full season for that time slot.

The rich will richer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They’d have to re-align if this took place.

but it won’t.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Oh please, make it stop already with London.

Amen. The NFL seems hell-bent on forcing football (& all the tacky merchandise) on to international consumers.
Kills me that they have the energy & money for the old NFL Europe, and games in England & Mexico.. But NFL resources are no where to be found in creating a professional, domestic farm system. The burden is still on universities to cultivate/groom NFL talent.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
moving the chargers to LA was the dumbest thing ever

are they trying to outdo themselves?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad