NFL allows second helmet (alternate/throwback)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I "get it" but I have zero interest in seeing Pat Patriot or the winking Creamsicle Buccaneer except in pictures from the 90s.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I "get it" but I have zero interest in seeing Pat Patriot or the winking Creamsicle Buccaneer except in pictures from the 90s.
I wonder which teams opt for the "Classic/Throwback" look vs ones that have another helment specifically for the road game, such as a change in color if there has been no logo change.

AFC:
KC/LV/Pitt/Cle/Hou/Ind/Jax (aside from that duo color a few years ago) - same helmet since they began. What's their alt going to be?
LAC/Den/Bal/Cin/Buf/NE/NYJ/MIA/Ten/ - expect to see something from the past

NFC
SF/AZ/NO/CAR/Chi/GB/Min- same helmet
SEA/LAR/NYG/Phi/Was/Dal/ATL/TB/Det/- something from the past

Like would Minnesota go a helmet that had the full Viking face on it? Would Philly do a helmet with the Eagle head vs go with their throwback lighter green color with the wing?

Or will the teams that have virtually the same logo since their inception just go with a different color helmet like CFL teams do?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
With my proposal for ABC's NFL broadcast to be produced in a way that will appeal to 1990s MNF viewers, for when ABC is airing an MNF game exclusively, the teams involved would be encouraged to wear throwback uniforms from the 1990s. Though this may mean limiting the ABC appearances of the Texans to games ESPN is also broadcasting, as they only began play in 2002. Unless by some miracle, the Texans are permitted to wear Oilers throwbacks.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
For instance, if ABC aired the Jets-Giants game in 2023, the Giants would wear their Parcells Super Bowl-era uniforms, and the Jets would wear the uniforms they wore from 1978-97.

ABC is currently the only big 4 network that has never aired a Jets-Giants game. In fact, it has only ever been played in the Sunday 1 PM slot, even in years where both teams were coming off decent seasons (a huge missed opportunity to make it the SNF game on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 occurred in 2011).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder which teams opt for the "Classic/Throwback" look vs ones that have another helment specifically for the road game, such as a change in color if there has been no logo change.

AFC:
KC/LV/Pitt/Cle/Hou/Ind/Jax (aside from that duo color a few years ago) - same helmet since they began. What's their alt going to be?
LAC/Den/Bal/Cin/Buf/NE/NYJ/MIA/Ten/ - expect to see something from the past

NFC
SF/AZ/NO/CAR/Chi/GB/Min- same helmet
SEA/LAR/NYG/Phi/Was/Dal/ATL/TB/Det/- something from the past

Like would Minnesota go a helmet that had the full Viking face on it? Would Philly do a helmet with the Eagle head vs go with their throwback lighter green color with the wing?

Or will the teams that have virtually the same logo since their inception just go with a different color helmet like CFL teams do?
You can pretty much bank on the Eagles debuting a Cunningham era throwback set as soon as its allowed. They've been pushing for this rule to change for a while just so that they can introduce the kelly green throwbacks.

I would not be surprised if the Panthers experimented with a black helmet. There was a prototype that went around during their branding tweak around 10 years ago. Then again, I fully expect Tepper to completely rebrand the team as he sees fit, so who knows what will happen there, maybe they introduce 2 helmets at that time.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
For instance, if ABC aired the Jets-Giants game in 2023, the Giants would wear their Parcells Super Bowl-era uniforms, and the Jets would wear the uniforms they wore from 1978-97.

The Giants were allowed to wear the Parcells- era uniforms even with the one-shell rule. The only difference on the helmet was the decal formerly read "GIANTS" instead of the current "ny."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad