OT: NFL 2019

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The images were disturbing. Glad he's doing much better.
He's clearly a guy that doesn't learn his lesson. The fact that he was close to amputation and had so many surgeries makes me wonder why he'd ever want to return to football. Other than in some sort of non-playing role.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
He's clearly a guy that doesn't learn his lesson. The fact that he was close to amputation and had so many surgeries makes me wonder why he'd ever want to return to football. Other than in some sort of non-playing role.

If i had 3 years left at millions of dollars i would be "attempting a comeback" too rather than retiring.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If I made over a 100mil I rather be able to walk than risk being in a wheelchair the rest of my life.

I'm a Redskins fan so have watched this situation pretty closely.

The team has moved on. If he does make a miraculous comeback so be it. I doubt he will do so for practical reasons. The insurance on his contract likely covers the majority of any lost income.

The closest I have been able to determine is Smith has far less than $100 million remaining to be paid. The four year contract he signed before the 2018 season was for $94 million with a $40 million signing bonus.

He has two years left on a four year deal that had $54 million in salary throughout the term of the contract. So a good guess is there is $27 million left on his contract. Don't get me wrong. $27 million is still a huge amount of money. It's still no where close to $100 million.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The worst thing about the PI challenges in the CFL was it gave the officials 2 chances to get the play wrong instead of just one.

I wouldn't trust these officials to do div 3 highschool games.

Even though the tweet has CFL in the title, it is actually the NFL PI they are mentioning.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm a Redskins fan so have watched this situation pretty closely.

The team has moved on. If he does make a miraculous comeback so be it. I doubt he will do so for practical reasons. The insurance on his contract likely covers the majority of any lost income.

The closest I have been able to determine is Smith has far less than $100 million remaining to be paid. The four year contract he signed before the 2018 season was for $94 million with a $40 million signing bonus.

He has two years left on a four year deal that had $54 million in salary throughout the term of the contract. So a good guess is there is $27 million left on his contract. Don't get me wrong. $27 million is still a huge amount of money. It's still no where close to $100 million.
He has 35m in salary over these 2 years.

16m this year, 19m next year.

His career earnings so far is 173,725,000.

If I was him I would walk away from the remaining money that isnt covered by insurance, it looks like 2020 is guaranteed cause of injury, but unsure about 2021, so he would potentially be walking away from 19m. With an earning of roughly 190m after this year.

I think I would rather keep my leg and walk over 19m if I had made 190m up to that point in my career.

Reactions: joestevens29

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Just looked at the Patriots schedule.

Yeah, they aren't going to win alot of games. Maybe 8-8 at best.

I think 8-8 is a worst case scenario. Bill Belichick is still a helluva coach. The Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.

3-3 in division games is the low end for the Pats. Swept by the Bills and 3-1 against the Jets and Dolphins.

2-2 against the AFC West is worst case. Loss against KC. Beat a bad Chargers team. Denver and Vegas are both bad so 1-1 is the worst case against those two.

1-1 in the other AFC games. Lose to Baltimore and beat Houston.

2-2 against the NFC West. Lose to Garoppolo and the 49ers, while beating the Cardinals are easy guesses. Rams should be a win. Seattle will decline but the Patriots lose that game in a worst case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad