OT: NFL 2019

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As an eagles fan it was honestly kind of embarrassing but watching the giants fans/players explode after made me laugh.

Also got a pretty nice draft spot. I can’t say I’m all that upset.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As an eagles fan it was honestly kind of embarrassing but watching the giants fans/players explode after made me laugh.

Also got a pretty nice draft spot. I can’t say I’m all that upset.
I don't know what the fuss is really about to be honest. A team tanking, shocking.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know what the fuss is really about to be honest. A team tanking, shocking.

I honestly don't know if it really was tanking. Pulling a rookie who is having a bad game for a Super Bowl winner in the midst of a down season?

Never chalk up to bad intent what can be explained with incompetence.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly don't know if it really was tanking. Pulling a rookie who is having a bad game for a Super Bowl winner in the midst of a down season?

Never chalk up to bad intent what can be explained with incompetence.
Incompetence last game of the year where playoff teams are resting players for rookies, so why shouldn't a non-playoff team try a rookie out to see what they have.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
So if you're the Jets, who do you take at 2 in the draft? Pretty much every mock I see has them taking a QB, but I honestly think they have a unique opportunity to build one hell of an O-Line if they grab Sewell. He seems like the surest bet to fulfill his projection. Having him and Becton as bookends for the next decade+ would be pretty insane. Get aggressive pursuing a couple quality vets for the interior line and then maybe give your talent position players a legit chance to evaluate them.

I'll never understand why teams let a QB carousel continue to spin when they don't have an offensive line to protect their original investment. Same goes for the mocks that have the Dolphins taking another QB because Tua has apparently flamed out after one season. Get the guy some protection and some weapons. Parker is good (but oft-injured), Gesicki has some talent, but those are still pretty "meh" WR1/TE1 options.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So if you're the Jets, who do you take at 2 in the draft? Pretty much every mock I see has them taking a QB, but I honestly think they have a unique opportunity to build one hell of an O-Line if they grab Sewell. He seems like the surest bet to fulfill his projection. Having him and Becton as bookends for the next decade+ would be pretty insane. Get aggressive pursuing a couple quality vets for the interior line and then maybe give your talent position players a legit chance to evaluate them.

I'll never understand why teams let a QB carousel continue to spin when they don't have an offensive line to protect their original investment. Same goes for the mocks that have the Dolphins taking another QB because Tua has apparently flamed out after one season. Get the guy some protection and some weapons. Parker is good (but oft-injured), Gesicki has some talent, but those are still pretty "meh" WR1/TE1 options.

I wonder if the Lions trade up to take a QB. Jets could take a chance and hope Slater is there at 7

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Incompetence last game of the year where playoff teams are resting players for rookies, so why shouldn't a non-playoff team try a rookie out to see what they have.
Hurts is a rookie, so they should have let him show them what he can do against a desperate team. He wasn't playing horribly bad to that point, and they were still in it. Seeing Sudfield play, I have no doubt they already know what he is and can do, and it's pretty obvious he's nothing more than fodder. Besides, they have to make a decision on Wentz or Hurts, not sure how playing Sudfield is going to solve that. It was flat out throwing the game, nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't bug me though, just sayin'.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Someone forgot to mute her mic. This was after Ohio State spanked Clemson and likely #1 pick Trevor Lawrence in the CFP playoff game.

I hope Lawrence opts to stay for his senior year...sorry Jags fans if any are here. That org is in disarray. If they hire Urban Meyer to coach, that is a very risky roll of the dice. He's never coached at the pro level and hasn't coached in several years. I think his ask of $12 million a year to coach is his way of saying "I love retired life. To bring me out of it, it will cost you deep."

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Someone forgot to mute her mic. This was after Ohio State spanked Clemson and likely #1 pick Trevor Lawrence in the CFP playoff game.

I hope Lawrence opts to stay for his senior year...sorry Jags fans if any are here. That org is in disarray. If they hire Urban Meyer to coach, that is a very risky roll of the dice. He's never coached at the pro level and hasn't coached in several years. I think his ask of $12 million a year to coach is his way of saying "I love retired life. To bring me out of it, it will cost you deep."

It would be hard to imagine a player who is a lock to go #1 forego that opportunity. Too much can happen in Football when it comes to injury. Not to mention there’s no developmental program that exploits its players more than NCAA football. Why give them another year of your services for free?

Jags are a mess, sure, but if you land there and turn them into a contender you instantly become a legend.

There’s way more reason to enter the draft than not.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It would be hard to imagine a player who is a lock to go #1 forego that opportunity. Too much can happen in Football when it comes to injury. Not to mention there’s no developmental program that exploits its players more than NCAA football. Why give them another year of your services for free?

Jags are a mess, sure, but if you land there and turn them into a contender you instantly become a legend.

There’s way more reason to enter the draft than not.

A lot of these players are there on fully paid scholarships so staying to complete a free post-secondary education is a pretty good reason to stay and graduate in my opinion. They're still 20-21 years old after 4 years of college which compared to drafted junior hockey players, is around the age most finally break into the NHL. I think the reasons are just as valid to complete your college education as they are to forego your final year and enter as a junior. I get it though, a lot of these young men have the sole dream of trading in playing on Saturdays for Sundays. I look at Lawrence as the McDavid of the NCAA, even if he did forego the draft this year, he'd still be the consensus #1 pick next year.

The Jags also need a lot more than a Trevor Lawrence though. He might be able to put the ball in the end zone but he's on the wrong side of the ball to keep it out, which looking at their scores this past season was a pretty big problem.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
A lot of these players are there on fully paid scholarships so staying to complete a free post-secondary education is a pretty good reason to stay and graduate in my opinion. They're still 20-21 years old after 4 years of college which compared to drafted junior hockey players, is around the age most finally break into the NHL. I think the reasons are just as valid to complete your college education as they are to forego your final year and enter as a junior. I get it though, a lot of these young men have the sole dream of trading in playing on Saturdays for Sundays. I look at Lawrence as the McDavid of the NCAA, even if he did forego the draft this year, he'd still be the consensus #1 pick next year.

The Jags also need a lot more than a Trevor Lawrence though. He might be able to put the ball in the end zone but he's on the wrong side of the ball to keep it out, which looking at their scores this past season was a pretty big problem.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The only way Trevor Lawrence will ever need to use whatever degree he is currently getting at Clemson is if he forgoes the draft to go back to college and suffers a career ending injury. That’s the point. Way more risk to going back. Very little benefit (unless the Falcons finish dead last next year and he can play for his home team).

Not to mention the earlier you start your pro career the earlier you get to your 2nd contract. I personally see zero benefit to going back.

Let’s say he does defer to next year, under your premise he doesn’t want to go to the Jags. How many teams you got finishing below the Jags next year? I had them pegged for dead last this year, they didn’t disappoint. Don’t see much changing for next year.

Reactions: joestevens29

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My picks for Wildcard Weekend:

Indy vs Buffalo
La Rams vs Seattle
Tampa
vs Washington
Baltimore vs Tennessee
Chicago vs New Orleans
Cleveland
vs Pittsburgh

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes true, but depending if your high on a paticular guy a team like the Lions could jump the queue so to speak.

That would be dumb.

The Lions have the worst defense in recent NFL history and no receivers signed next season so it would be a bad idea to give up valuable assets to trade up in the draft for a QB. If it was for Lawrence, sure, but not for Fields. Stafford is getting older but he still he's still good. I wouldn't mind if they took a QB since Stafford is likely gone in a year or two but certainly not in a trade up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The only way Trevor Lawrence will ever need to use whatever degree he is currently getting at Clemson is if he forgoes the draft to go back to college and suffers a career ending injury. That’s the point. Way more risk to going back. Very little benefit (unless the Falcons finish dead last next year and he can play for his home team).

Not to mention the earlier you start your pro career the earlier you get to your 2nd contract. I personally see zero benefit to going back.

Let’s say he does defer to next year, under your premise he doesn’t want to go to the Jags. How many teams you got finishing below the Jags next year? I had them pegged for dead last this year, they didn’t disappoint. Don’t see much changing for next year.

Fair enough.

What I'm getting at is college football players are set up after football ends for them with uni degrees, whether that's the NCAA level or the pro level. There's nothing wrong with completing your education to forego one year of pro football, if you're likely to get drafted anyways just as there's nothing wrong with foregoing the senior year to turn pro either.

To answer your second question, the Jets are just as awful and they could be worse than the Jags next season. They almost were this season. But with Darnold there already, maybe they pass on him. Maybe destiny seems pretty keen on keeping Lawrence in the feline family. Hopefully they get proper leadership staff in there from top to bottom. You'd hate to see such a talented kid go to waste like Matt Stafford.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
That would be dumb.

The Lions have the worst defense in recent NFL history and no receivers signed next season so it would be a bad idea to give up valuable assets to trade up in the draft for a QB. If it was for Lawrence, sure, but not for Fields. Stafford is getting older but he still he's still good. I wouldn't mind if they took a QB since Stafford is likely gone in a year or two but certainly not in a trade up.

Fair enough. I didn't dig into the Lions situation. I just remember reading some rumors that Stafford and the Lions may part ways so i thought they would be a team to watch at the draft.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

At the end of the day in any sports if you are going to holdout on your draft year because of who has #1 it could be a very dangerous decision.

That team could be dead last again the following year and it could cause internal problems right off the bat if they know you never wanted them the first year.

There could always end up being another team that ends up being a worse off franchise than the original place you could've went too. Not even just on the field who knows if there are any other scandals out there with a NFL owner

And of course as you mentioned injury.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My picks for Wildcard Weekend:

Indy vs Buffalo
La Rams vs Seattle
Tampa
vs Washington
Baltimore vs Tennessee
Chicago vs New Orleans
Cleveland
vs Pittsburgh

I would agree with most of those, but Cleveland is just going through too much this season to get by the Steelers. I will be cheering for them however. Really looking forward to this weekend. Nine hours of ball each day, and then on Monday, an evening of college ball. That only leaves one day (Tuesday) for sports withdrawal until I can get my fix on Wednesday with game 1 of the NHL. Should be good after that.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I would agree with most of those, but Cleveland is just going through too much this season to get by the Steelers. I will be cheering for them however. Really looking forward to this weekend. Nine hours of ball each day, and then on Monday, an evening of college ball. That only leaves one day (Tuesday) for sports withdrawal until I can get my fix on Wednesday with game 1 of the NHL. Should be good after that.

I picked them before I read about their coach, but I'll stick with the pick. Probably has to do with my hatred of the Steelers more than anything. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->