NFL: NFC Playoff Picture

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Sounds to me like someone would prefer the #4 seed so they could play the Eagles instead of the Vikings if they win.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Woah, that's a pretty big deal. I'd assumed for awhile that Carolina would visit New Orleans because they, the Rams, and Vikings would all likely win. If the Rams are resting the starters, and with the way the 49ers are playing, they very well could flip to 4 (NO and MIN have the division and a bye to play for, so they can't coast).

I'd welcome a trip to LA over another one to New Orleans. I think the Panthers would match up better with the Rams. They've got the front 7 to slow down Gurley, and I think they can harass Goff enough to have him make some mistakes in his first playoff game. As always, it'd come down to if they could move the ball against the Rams' defense, and that secondary and those linebackers don't scare me more than New Orleans. A win likely gives them a trip to Philadelphia and a matchup with Nick Foles. They wouldn't see Minnesota or New Orleans until the conference championship game. Much better path.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If i'm the Panthers i probably want the Rams as well. Of the four division leaders (NFC South can flip obviously), they're probably the most flawed.

Still very young QB, home run hitting offense that seems to struggle if you can slow them down even a bit. The Panthers don't have the horses to compete in a shootout imo but they easily have the pieces to turn it into a slugfest, which favors them in a big way. Per usual they're going to be leaning on their defense to win that game (and that's a bet i would take)

That's why i have the feeling one of those two NFC South wild card holdovers are probably the team to pick to come out of the NFC. Like you said, Carolina gets an easier-ish draw with LA, that sends them to Philly against a Wentz-less Eagles. Given how the craptacular Raiders defense managed to make them look inept at times, that favors the Panthers as well.

the Vikings or Saints is a bit of a different animal. I'd rather not have to go into the superdome for a conference title game, so you're probably better off travelling to Minny.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, I'd definitely rather see them go to Minnesota than New Orleans, even with a home Super Bowl game on the line. They already beat the Vikings, albeit at home, and the game in New Orleans was closer than the score indicated despite everything going wrong for the Panthers, but I feel like Case Keenum, Latavius Murray, and Jerrick McKinnon are easier to shut down than Drew Brees, Mark Ingram, and Alvin Kamara. They already put up 31 points on that defense and rushed for 200+. Not saying they can do it again, but I definitely think they've got a better shot to win a 20-17 type game in Minnesota than another 41-38 scorcher versus the Saints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad