Neymar

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Barcelona has the three best players in the world right now.

Really crazy for a club to be able to say that.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would put both Neymar and Suarez above Müller, but I can understand where Deficient Mode comes from. There isn't an aspect of the game Müller is bad at. Possibly the best positional player in football, clinical finisher, good playmaker, awesome work ethic. He doesn't have the flair of Neymar or Suarez, but he's crazy efficient. Awesome player, one of my favourites

Neymar and Suarez are both clinical finishers, good playmakers and have awesome work ethic. They're also crazy efficient.

Neymar has some tools that Müller doesn't have and Müller has some tools that Neymar doesn't. Different kinds of players. As WBS mentioned above, he excels at a lot of aspects of the game despite his awkward, gangly appearance. His ability to influence the match without the ball is
unparalleled, too.

Not sure what you specifically mean by his ability to influence the match without the ball, but I would say Suarez likely matches whatever that is.

Muller produces, for team and country. On a level that's equal or better than pretty much everyone in the last five years.

He doesn't have the physical gifts/moves than the flashier players. But he works hard, and smarter than most. I'll take that everyday over the flash. So will any good coach.

Not a fan of Bayern, luke warm at best on the Germans. But Muller's smarts and production can't be dismissed

Any good coach will take Neymar or Suarez over Muller and that includes Guardiola. Both Neymar and Suarez work hard and are very smart players.

Barcelona has the three best players in the world right now.

Really crazy for a club to be able to say that.

We also have the best starting midfield in the World right now.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Neymar and Suarez are both clinical finishers, good playmakers and have awesome work ethic. They're also crazy efficient.

I'm not disputing that? I think I made it pretty clear that I think Neymar and Suarez are better than Müller, I was just putting Müller's many strengths out there.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'll remember this one coming from you. :)

If you see the light and become a Barça fan I'd welcome you with open arms. ;)

Just testing waters tbh

Here is a pic of my boy Feghouli with Cruyff, which means I have to love Barca now :sarcasm:

actualite2[36132].jpg

Also in the 80s, Barcelona wanted to sign Algeria's playmaker Belloumi, but stupid Algerian FA regulations prevented that from happening :facepalm:

See? another sign :sarcasm:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Neymar is benefitting from playing in the system and the players that surround him. He will probably be the next WPOY not named Messi or Penaldo

Neymar is even better for Brazil than he is for Barca. I don't think it's a system thing. He's just that good. Since Messi has come back from his injury, I'd argue Neymar's form hasn't been "as" great.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Neymar is even better for Brazil than he is for Barca. I don't think it's a system thing. He's just that good. Since Messi has come back from his injury, I'd argue Neymar's form hasn't been "as" great.

I would say that was the case before, not so much now. I think Neymar doesn't seem as good with Barça because he's got more teammates who are at his level or better and so he doesn't carry the team as much, but if you dissect the performances I think you'll find that his Barça performances are now more consistently as good. Also, Neymar just got some rest after being suspended and has looked better since. He needed a break (as did Suarez). Still, the players that surround him or the system aside, he contributes a lot and as you say it's not just the system.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Barcelona's attacking line is insane, but I think comparing their attacking lineup and Bayern's is a more interesting discussion than it initially seems...at least with Messi only in A/A- form rather than at his very best. Bayern certainly have no Messi, and Neymar is a cut above Bayern's other forwards; but Co-Co, Mueller, the Ghosts of Robbery and Gotze are all closer to him than they are to Barca's 4th best forward...especially with how well the Bayern boys play together. And Lewandowski's at Suarez's level...at least now that he's settled in.

That bevy of game-breakers lets Bayern attack with only a little less lethality than Barca does; when they pour on 4, 5, or even 6 of those guys at once.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Suarez is certainly better than Lewa. Not a knock against Lewandowski but Suarez is the best 9 in the world, and it's difficult to make a case against it.

And maybe I misunderstood your post, but Messi is back to his best form.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Barcelona's attacking line is insane, but I think comparing their attacking lineup and Bayern's is a more interesting discussion than it initially seems...at least with Messi only in A/A- form rather than at his very best. Bayern certainly have no Messi, and Neymar is a cut above Bayern's other forwards; but Co-Co, Mueller, the Ghosts of Robbery and Gotze are all closer to him than they are to Barca's 4th best forward...especially with how well the Bayern boys play together. And Lewandowski's at Suarez's level...at least now that he's settled in.

That bevy of game-breakers lets Bayern attack with only a little less lethality than Barca does; when they pour on 4, 5, or even 6 of those guys at once.

I would take an in form Robben, especially in 'big games' over anyone on Barca except Messi. Actually Robben seems forgotten about or underrated far too often because of his injury issues and perceived on field antics. I used to do it myself (I was more mad that he didn't take his chances at the WC in 2010, but bygones are bygones).

To me the two teams are not far away in talent and I think that if played correctly Bayern have more talent in midfield and on defence, though Suarez and Neymar have a sizeable gap over Muller and Lewandowski (IMO).

Still, there's more to it than just the individuals and I would love to see Bayern/Barca play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Suarez is certainly better than Lewa. Not a knock against Lewandowski but Suarez is the best 9 in the world, and it's difficult to make a case against it.

And maybe I misunderstood your post, but Messi is back to his best form.

I would've agreed with you about Lewa and Suarez previously, but not any more. At this point I think there's absolutely a case to be made for the Pole. Though I do like Suarez quite a bit more because of what a great villain he is, and because he's not as blatantly just in it for the money as Lewa...or at least his agent isn't as much of a s***-stirrer.

Re: Messi being at his best again; has he? I haven't watched La Liga all that closely this year, and maybe it's just cause of Neymar playing so well while I love Suarez so much; but I've felt like Messi's shown a higher level in the past than what I was seeing from him this year. Small sample size and all, so if that's not correct my bad.

I would take an in form Robben, especially in 'big games' over anyone on Barca except Messi. Actually Robben seems forgotten about or underrated far too often because of his injury issues and perceived on field antics. I used to do it myself (I was more mad that he didn't take his chances at the WC in 2010, but bygones are bygones).

To me the two teams are not far away in talent and I think that if played correctly Bayern have more talent in midfield and on defence, though Suarez and Neymar have a sizeable gap over Muller and Lewandowski (IMO).

Still, there's more to it than just the individuals and I would love to see Bayern/Barca play.

A fit and in form Robben is Bayern's best attacker, but he hasn't been that guy very much this season. Unlike Ribery I still think he has it in him; as Franck is clearly on the downslope; but Robben just hasn't been able to be that dude this season. It's been the Lewy & Mueller show with Co(sta)-Co(man) co-staring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad