Next Years's Salary Cap

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Pardon me if I am missing something. But its my understanding that next year's salary cap is contingent on league revenues for this season (so we don't know exactly what it is) BUT that we have an idea that league revenues are going to be better than expected...

Does that mean the cap is going up a lot?

Does that mean we can re-sign Scrivens et al.

Lots of tasty UFAs coming up too.

Any predictions or knowledge of what it will be next year?

***oops i mean Next Years'

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
One thing is for sure...Sather and capspace go together like AA meetings and alcohol!

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Say it's 70 mill:

Signed:
Cap Hit:
Kopitar, Anze » $6,800,000
Richards, Mike » $5,750,000
Carter, Jeff » $5,272,727
Williams, Justin » $3,650,000
Stoll, Jarret » $3,250,000
Brown, Dustin » $3,175,000
Lewis, Trevor » $1,325,000
Clifford, Kyle » $1,075,000
Fraser, Colin » $825,000
Carcillo, Daniel » $825,000
Vey, Linden » EL $790,000
King, Dwight » $750,000
Pearson, Tanner » EL $735,833
Toffoli, Tyler » EL $716,667
Nolan, Jordan » $700,000
Frattin, Matt » RSA $437,500
--- $36,071,727
Doughty, Drew » $7,000,000
Voynov, Slava » $4,166,667
Mitchell, Willie » 35 + $3,500,000
Regehr, Robyn » $3,000,000
Greene, Matt » LTIR $2,950,000
Martinez, Alec » $1,100,000
Muzzin, Jake » $1,000,000
--- $22,716,667

Quick, Jonathan » $5,800,000
Scrivens, Ben » RSA $550,000
Jones, Martin » $550,000
--- $6,900,000

2014/15 Payroll so far: $56,784,394
2014 Cap Space at 2013 Payroll: $4,715,781

LA UFAs:
T. Lewis: I think he has demonstrated he can replace Stoll (outside the faceoff circle) but has not earned much of a raise, given the competition around him. I know he loves the Kings and his teamates, but I know he can command more than 2 mill on the free market. Not sure we are willing to pay it + $1,325,000

C. Fraser: Sadly I think its time we parted ways. He is a winner though, through and through.: + $825,000

D. Carcillo: King has supplanted him this season, hopefully even in grit... if King keeps this up: + $825,000

B. Scrivens: The Quick injury will hopefully provide Jones with a start or 2. I see a concerted effort to re-sign Scrivens. Lombardi made the trade he did for a reason. - $1,250,000

W. Mitchell: I know these last two are going to be very polarizing, but lets just say we lose our two leaders and unsung heroes. Its A. Mart that is the one that plays for all of our wins right? *nervous chuckle* $3,500,000

M. Greene: Again I can't see us re-signing for much with injuries etc.. Its a real shame. $2,950,000

LA RFAs:
L. Vey: I think he is a must re-sign shouldn't cost too much more than $1 million. - $1,075,000

D. King: Really hard to tell what he will command. I think he fits our team like no other. - $1,800,000

M. Frattin: I think he will be re-signed. Especially if we lose T. Lew. - $800,000

56,784,394 + 800,000 + 1,800,000 + 1,075,000 + 1,250,000 = 61,709,394 hit.

Leaving 8,290,606...

Thornton?
Boyle?
Phaneuf?

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
We won't get any big free agents. Other teams get all that cap space aswell, and you know the rangers and flyers of the league will throw all their money at the big names

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
If we are losing Mitchell (probable) and Greene (possible), then 100% of DL's efforts need to be focused on their replacements, because Regehr as our only true stay at home D is not going to work.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i think Mitchell and Fraser (if he is still around at that point) will be left unsigned. i think Fraser will end up being waived or traded well before the off season.

Greene is resigned, but likely for less. age and his injury problems are reducing his value.

Frattin is resigned. c'mon DL has a man crush on the guy.

Lewis is resigned, no way Sutter lets Dean allow him to leave

i still think there is a 60/40 shot of Stoll being moved this season. Vey is doing well so far with just a few games played and not proving to be a detriment to the team. Lewis is also rounding into this mix the past few games. there is more in the pipeline behind them.

Stoll's one major contribution - key defensive face offs is lessening. the team overall has improved greatly this year. Kopitar is on a tear lately and is 55% overall, MR at 55.9%, Carts at 62.1%, Vey at 46.9% and Lewis is at 50%. Stoll is sitting at 57%. JS is only out ranking his probable replacement(s), but factor in age, skill, speed and salary.....well JS is tradeable for assets.

King Kong - is resigned. some cheer, some of us are "ho hum" but overall the only person hugely ecstatic is Sutter and King.

UFA's - Dean will play ball, but i don't anticipate any major signing. he most likely will look at trying to replace Willie with a vet to provide D depth and that will about do it. he will want to get back to his usual below cap level spend, so he has flexibility. by not going crazy with UFA's he will get his cap structure back on track.

Cap next season - is it possible to estimate the revenue based on YoY attendance? look at this season and compare it to other seasons numbers? other than this the number i've heard floating is $70M

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think there's a good chance Mitchell gets re-signed for a year. He's only 36 now, and it's hard to find a guy who's that steady and strong in the defensive zone. I'm hoping he feels that he owes the Kings a year and signs for ~$2 million.

If Willie Mitchell retires or leaves via free agency, I would go after a guy like Brooks Orpik.

It's hard to imagine Matt Greene not being resigned.

In: King, Vey

Out: Fraser

On the bubble: Carcillo, Clifford, Frattin, Lewis

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Right now, barring anything drastic, low end the cap looks to be reaching at least $68+ million. High-end, $74 million, so likely closer to the $72 million Ziggy stated.

I expect Deano to have plenty of cap space to play with after this season as all of the expensive players are now locked up long term. Scrivens is likely the only RFA/UFA we have who can make a legitimate case for a big raise. Frattin and King will likely get bumps as well, but I'd be surprised if our resignings even cost us $2 million extra above what we are spending.

Right now, according to capgeek, we have 17 players signed for next year at $$56,784,394. If you assume we bring Vey, King and Frattin back each for around $900,000 (King may get more) and Greene back at $3 million, that gives us 21 players at just under $62.5 million.

As per usual, LA is in great shape cap wise for next year.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I cannot imagine Greene and Lewis not being signed.

Greene, i expect he'll be back, especially if we don't keep Mitchell. That's just to much meat and potatoes to lose on the backend.

Lewis, if he can't provide any offense, it's going to be pretty hard to agree to pay what he's asking, which will be at least $1.5 million most likely. He is an excellent defensive forward, but when your offense is literally zero, that's an issue. I'd rather use pay $3 million for someone like him that can actually chip in 15 goals next year, it's really looking like we'll have the cap space to do it and there has to be another guy out there we can get.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
As much as id like to agree with you kingsfan I think King is in for a bigger raise then 900 k I looked on tsn and they have him on pace for a 26 goal season sadly I think this would make him get at least 2 million -3 million Not that that would be a bad thing over all if hes signed for say 4 years at 2.5 millon per I think that pretty good value if he continues to play like this I would be happy with 10 million for 4 years. That is good value for someone who plays on 3 different lines at times.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As much as id like to agree with you kingsfan I think King is in for a bigger raise then 900 k I looked on tsn and they have him on pace for a 26 goal season sadly I think this would make him get at least 2 million -3 million Not that that would be a bad thing over all if hes signed for say 4 years at 2.5 millon per I think that pretty good value if he continues to play like this I would be happy with 10 million for 4 years. That is good value for someone who plays on 3 different lines at times.

I agree if he keeps his pace up. That said, I doubt he will, it's King. He's never score 26 goals in a season in his pro career and has 16 goals in 102 NHL games. I'd love it if he did keep this pace up, but as of today, I'd hedge against it.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I agree if he keeps his pace up. That said, I doubt he will, it's King. He's never score 26 goals in a season in his pro career and has 16 goals in 102 NHL games. I'd love it if he did keep this pace up, but as of today, I'd hedge against it.

I agree that he proberly won't keep it up but after being on record as not a Dwight King fan he has been proving me wrong each and every game.I wouldn't be surprized if he ends up around 20 goals and 20 assists (someone will get hot on his line and he will get 2nd assists. Slowly im seeing stuff out of him that i didnt last year and never thought i would. He is slowly developing into a all round 200 foot player. Not outstanding mind you still at time frustrating but im seeing more and more development.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Right now, barring anything drastic, low end the cap looks to be reaching at least $68+ million. High-end, $74 million, so likely closer to the $72 million Ziggy stated.

I expect Deano to have plenty of cap space to play with after this season as all of the expensive players are now locked up long term. Scrivens is likely the only RFA/UFA we have who can make a legitimate case for a big raise. Frattin and King will likely get bumps as well, but I'd be surprised if our resignings even cost us $2 million extra above what we are spending.

Right now, according to capgeek, we have 17 players signed for next year at $$56,784,394. If you assume we bring Vey, King and Frattin back each for around $900,000 (King may get more) and Greene back at $3 million, that gives us 21 players at just under $62.5 million.

As per usual, LA is in great shape cap wise for next year.

Credit Lombardi for setting things up for success year after year. He came in with a plan to compete for the cup long term under the cap and he's done it. The defense is as strong as any in the league and young players are bringing new life to the forward lines. Goaltending is set for years, assuming good health. We're lucky to be cheering on a team that should be good this year, next year, and into the foreseeable future. All this without having to chase the big fish at free agency.

KingKopitar11*

Greene might stay, if he comes back healthy for the season and playoffs if he gets injured again this season, then I think he should be considered to leave.

Fraser and Clifford should be gone imo. We don't need them.

If the Kings do sign someone I want a left winger or a big defensive dman

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't really care if we get a left winger or not. If our defense corps (that includes goaltending) is solid and our team defense game is solid, we have the best chance at the Cup in the NHL.

Our focus in the offseason should be to acquire more than one defenseman. One can be Greene. The other needs to be a top pair guy and that is a tall order. I'd rather keep Mitchell over Regher as 2nd pair D but it's Regher who's signed. Mitchell, maybe if he's willing, can be signed as platooning the 2D/7D with Regher. We have great forward depth in Manchester but little goalie and defense.

I doubt Scrivens re-signs with us too. If he continues to do well, there's no reason why the young man doesn't chase a starting job. We can't offer him that role and we can't offer him a starter's salary either. So we'll be looking for a backup too. My hope is Jones is just ready.

LW we can do by committee until Pearson is ready. We have several young guys picking up the offensive slack.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If Scrivens maintains his stellar performance and helps get the team into the playoffs, I would expect him to get rewarded with a decent raise and to have earned the trust of his coaches and management to award him with more starts and to give Quick more rest during the regular season. Good goaltending is like having good pitching, can't have enough of it. Hopefully they secure him at a reasonable rate for a dependable backup.

Maybe a cap hit in the range of $2M? I do not want to risk the team having an incapable backup who can't be depended upon, like Jason LaBarbera or Marty Biron. Look at how the lack of goaltending depth has killed some teams' playoff hopes during the regular season. Would prefer to avoid that situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad