Next Years Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
What is Team Canada's management thinking when picking this years team. Did the future even cross their mind. We have so many solid returning vets that we could afford to bring up some younger players and give them experience for next years team. The whole team is 19 except Barker (18), and Crosby (17). There may even be a chance that neither of those players could be with us next season if the NHL gets started. This is Pejorative Slur and makes no sense for us to ruin our chances for next year. I agree that there is a good chance that this is the team that can give us gold, but is it worth it to see us in a rebuilding stage for the next 2 years?????? We may not have anyone on the team next year to provide us with international experience. We will always have a solid group of players on the ice representing our country, but for these tournaments, the experience is very important for success.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Next year will be interesting. It will help us again towards a strong 2007, but I wouldn't write off 2006 entirely. Something like a 2006 lineup:

Wolski-Bolland-McGrath
O'Marra-Brule-Bourret
Boyd-Chipchura-Cabana
Blunden-Little-Pouliot
(wild cards? Durand, Crosby, Bickell, Chucko, Reddox????)

Barker-Shultz
O'Neill-Rogers
Stephenson-Carson
Fistric/Parent/Bourdon/Russell?

Shantz-Dubnyk
Pogge? Ellis-Plante? Price? Vincent? Levasseur?

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:
How about a thread about U18Team Canada from 2017?

Well then you wouldn't know how to run a hockey team. When you have a hockey team you want to have a good team every year. Same managers make the mistake and put everything on the line for one season and it hurts the future. What if they don't win that season, then it was a waste for the future. Atleast if you balance your team, if you don't win this year, then you can go again for it next year.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Next year will be interesting. It will help us again towards a strong 2007, but I wouldn't write off 2006 entirely. Something like a 2006 lineup:

Wolski-Bolland-McGrath
O'Marra-Brule-Bourret
Boyd-Chipchura-Cabana
Blunden-Little-Pouliot

Barker-Shultz
O'Neill-Rogers
Stephenson-Carson

Shantz-Dubnyk

Thats looks like a good team, they just lack the experince at this level. It would have been nice to see some of those players on this years team.
I guess this years quote to live by is: "go big or go home"

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Campino said:
What is Team Canada's management thinking when picking this years team. Did the future even cross their mind. We have so many solid returning vets that we could afford to bring up some younger players and give them experience for next years team. The whole team is 19 except Barker (18), and Crosby (17). There may even be a chance that neither of those players could be with us next season if the NHL gets started. This is Pejorative Slur and makes no sense for us to ruin our chances for next year. I agree that there is a good chance that this is the team that can give us gold, but is it worth it to see us in a rebuilding stage for the next 2 years?????? We may not have anyone on the team next year to provide us with international experience. We will always have a solid group of players on the ice representing our country, but for these tournaments, the experience is very important for success.

Cuz the team next year in Vancouver will be all 1987 born players, just like last year the team was made up of a ton of 18 yr olds(1985's) and we were within a period of the gold! Throw in some 1986's for next year and the team will be strong and will contend for a medal! Barker and Crosby will more than likely be gone for next year, but think of guys like Brule, Cogliano, Durand, Setoguchi, Bertram, Bradford, Yellowhorn, McArdle, Parent, Wilson, McNeill, Staal, Russell, Bourdon, Latendresse, Bourret, Wolski, Little, O'Marra, McGrath, Pouliot, Reddox, Chipchura, Schultz, Rogers, Fistric, Boyd, Gagnon, Bolland, Wharton, O'Neill, Ellis, Shantz, Peters, Dubnyk, Price and on and on and on......

This year's team is not about next year, it's about here and now and winning the gold this year!! Next year is a whole different story!!

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Campino said:

I guess I am more worried about stopping our 7 year losing streak than about what next years team is going to do. And I am pretty sure that a lot of the kids on next years team will have at least some international experience (ie: U17 and U18 programs) so I don't think it's as big a deal as you seem to make it out to be.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Campino said:
Well then you wouldn't know how to run a hockey team. When you have a hockey team you want to have a good team every year. Same managers make the mistake and put everything on the line for one season and it hurts the future. What if they don't win that season, then it was a waste for the future. Atleast if you balance your team, if you don't win this year, then you can go again for it next year.

The only thing that I don't understand is why you would be intrested in next year's team if you're not running this team. What you're going to say will have absolutely no effects on next year's team.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Campino said:

sutter didnt take the head coaching job for this year so that he could worry about developing the team for whoever may coach it next year... On top of that, Canada doesn't have to worry about developing teams and giving kids experience.. we have so many good hockey players that if we produced a second or third team they would be able to compete almost any given year.

bruins_19

Dec 1, 2004
HabLover said:
Cuz the team next year in Vancouver will be all 1987 born players, just like last year the team was made up of a ton of 18 yr olds(1985's) and we were within a period of the gold! Throw in some 1986's for next year and the team will be strong and will contend for a medal! Barker and Crosby will more than likely be gone for next year, but think of guys like Brule, Cogliano, Durand, Setoguchi, Bertram, Bradford, Yellowhorn, McArdle, Parent, Wilson, McNeill, Staal, Russell, Bourdon, Latendresse, Bourret, Wolski, Little, O'Marra, McGrath, Pouliot, Reddox, Chipchura, Schultz, Rogers, Fistric, Boyd, Gagnon, Bolland, Wharton, O'Neill, Ellis, Shantz, Peters, Dubnyk, Price and on and on and on......

This year's team is not about next year, it's about here and now and winning the gold this year!! Next year is a whole different story!!

I dont think Yellow Horn will have a shot at the team.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
bruins_19 said:
I dont think Yellow Horn will have a shot at the team.

Yes, skating around pylons or dub defenceman is one thing but the WJC's is a whole new level. :shakehead

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Blind Gardien said:

Wolski-Bolland-McGrath
O'Marra-Brule-Bourret
Boyd-Chipchura-Cabana
Blunden-Little-Pouliot

Barker-Shultz
O'Neill-Rogers
Stephenson-Carson

Shantz-Dubnyk

Forwards
Latendresse -- Picard -- Bertram
Bradford -- Cogliano
Setogucchi -- Lawrence
Pouliot is an 85 therefore not eligible

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
ktownhockey said:
Forwards
Latendresse -- Picard -- Bertram
Bradford -- Cogliano
Setogucchi -- Lawrence
Pouliot is an 85 therefore not eligible

He meant benoit pouliot I'm pretty sure.
yes next year's team will be comprised of mostly '87s, but unlike in 2003, they're going to focus on speed and skill (a lot of these guys are small).

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
bonefizzle said:
On top of that, Canada doesn't have to worry about developing teams and giving kids experience.. we have so many good hockey players that if we produced a second or third team they would be able to compete almost any given year.

The way they competed last year, or year before, or even year before? They competed well but not enough for gold medal. ''Yeah, its been 7 years but we don't have to worry!'' If ever, Canada should worry now! You don't have to worry if you want to be second forever. The way Canada is doing with its first team, second or third team should be happy if they don't get relegated!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
yes next year's team will be comprised of mostly '87s, but unlike in 2003, they're going to focus on speed and skill (a lot of these guys are small).

Yes, I meant Benoit Pouliot. All the 87's will have another year to grow and fill out and IF size becomes an issue, there are guys like Pouliot, Chipchura, Rogers, Schultz, Fistric, Durand, Wolski, etc. that should make the team and they all have decent size.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Campino said:

Yes, for an NHL team you build it that way. when you're building for a best-on-best 2 week tournament all that matters is this year.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Leachmeister2000 said:

Oh yeah I guess he should be considered.... Benoit will be on the team if he has a good year next year ... he's proving himself this year though.. thats for sure...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Oh yeah I guess he should be considered.... Benoit will be on the team if he has a good year next year ... he's proving himself this year though.. thats for sure...

Yeah, he will be considered along with all the other names I threw out there.

The beauty about next year is there will virtually be no returning players and it will be a real guessing game as to who gets invited and who makes the final team! There are so many players to be considered, especially in the '87 group, that it will be up to Canada to decide what kind and how old of a team they want.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
TORRUS said:
The way they competed last year, or year before, or even year before? They competed well but not enough for gold medal. ''Yeah, its been 7 years but we don't have to worry!'' If ever, Canada should worry now! You don't have to worry if you want to be second forever. The way Canada is doing with its first team, second or third team should be happy if they don't get relegated!

Exactly... if you read what i was commenting on you would know that my comments were made with the idea of winning the gold medal this year.. rather then putting players on the team to develop them for next year!!

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Next year is going to be a disaster, who's the idiot who makes most of these decisions? How many 86's are on the roster? 1! and 1 87! This is ridiculous, go to a coach that understands the WJC's this aing't the damn NHL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad