Next years draft should be changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Why should the same team be allowed to pick at the top of the draft over and over again and have a ready made powerhouse in 6 years?
I say any team getting the into the top 3 picks whether by earning a spot or by trade should automatically be dropped to 8th pick or lower in the next draft.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I don't know about dropping them to eighth, but you may be right that perhaps they should be ineligible for the lottery the following year and thus not allowing them 1st overall.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
yeah, picking in the top 5 has really made Columbus, Atlanta and Florida powerhouses...

If you're going to play that game...

If you spend within 2 million dollars of the cap, you're considered a "have" and aren't eligible for the lottery, regardless of where you finish.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
You may have a point here....Crosby-Malkin-Kessel?(or whoever) would be getting a little out of hand considering Fleury was like only a few years ago.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well I would of agreed with you before, but because of the new cba (caps and new FA rules) those team will most likely lose the players they pick to FA 7 years later anyway. So drafting and keeping 5 franchaise player for more then 7 year will be extremly hard.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
calder candidate said:
Well I would of agreed with you before, but because of the new cba (caps and new FA rules) those team will most likely lose the players they pick to FA 7 years later anyway. So drafting and keeping 5 franchaise player for more then 7 year will be extremly hard.
Exactly...

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
Despite the excitement caused by yesterday's lottery the regular draft
order concept is still very valid, just because there is now 'supposed' parity
among all teams is no reason to embrace this roll of the dice concept.
Do you really want the Cup winners to have a relatively even chance to get
the next phenom? If it's your favorite team, its peachy, otherwise it sucks.
If revenues do rise so does the cap limit, hello Toronto,NY,Detroit,Philly.....

Mikita

May 27, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Just because you have high draft choices doesnt mean ....

A) you select the best players
B) develop the players selected
C) surround the players selected with other talent
D) spend your cap $ in the most effective manner

Thats why they still play the games on the ice

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
The only team that has built fast through the draft to be a top notch contender because of their 1st overall picks happened in the NBA with the Orlando Magic getting Shack and Penny in back to back years. With only having to have 5 players play most of the game that can happen, but in hockey it's a little different. Sure you use 5 players (not including the goalie) at all times, but these players don't play 2/3's of the game. Plus NHL draft picks 9 times out of 10 don't become 1st liners and high minute makers in their first season like NBAers do.

The draft is there to help the weak get stronger, and if your weak and draft weak well it's only going to be a vicious cycle then of picking in the top 5.

(Tampa and Ottawa built strong teams through the draft and not every pick was a top 5 that got them where they are today, it's all about the strong scouting and what you get in the later rounds)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Mikita said:
Just because you have high draft choices doesnt mean ....

A) you select the best players
B) develop the players selected
C) surround the players selected with other talent
D) spend your cap $ in the most effective manner

Thats why they still play the games on the ice

Not necessarily, but you must admit it makes the first one very likely, and B and C pretty probable.

Let me put it this way, where would you rather your team drafted, top 3 or bottom three? Generally speaking, who has the advantage?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
baldrick said:
Despite the excitement caused by yesterday's lottery the regular draft
order concept is still very valid, just because there is now 'supposed' parity
among all teams is no reason to embrace this roll of the dice concept.
Do you really want the Cup winners to have a relatively even chance to get
the next phenom?

No, I simply think the draft should be spread out among the bottom ten teams, weighted, with the previous top drafters dropping down.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
calder candidate said:

True, but 7 years might be enough to

1. Make/Win a Cup run
2. Convince your stars to stay an extra couple years because the team will soon be primed for a Cup run

Players generally get much more marketable after winning a Cup

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
KStewart113 said:
You may have a point here....Crosby-Malkin-Kessel?(or whoever) would be getting a little out of hand considering Fleury was like only a few years ago.

There's no way the Penguins draft in the top 10 next year. They'll now be able to attract yet another unrestricted free agent to sign with them, and at least, will be a solid team.

Besides, if there were no lockout this year, Crosby may well have been drafted by Washington.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
RE-HABS said:
(Tampa and Ottawa built strong teams through the draft and not every pick was a top 5 that got them where they are today, it's all about the strong scouting and what you get in the later rounds)

Excellent point, and one that I like to bring up at every available opportunity.

The common perception of Ottawa is that we sucked for so long, which gave us high draft picks, which is why we are strong picks now, when really, those picks helped, but have not been the driving factor of our success. These are the top 5 picks we received for being a poor team those early years (note, I don't include Yashin, as getting a top 3 pick is part of the expansion agreement).

Daigle - Absolute bust, with most of the rest of the first round picks being better than him.
Bonk - Turned out to be valuable, but only after years of patience. About 3 years after he was drafted, his value was so low, that Ottawa tried to trade him, but could find no takers.
Berard/Redden - We traded for Berard, who refused to play for us because of poor management. Pierre Gauthier came in, and was able to trade him for Redden, but that took a strong trade to happen, and not just the result of
Phillips - A solid asset from a weak draft year. A valuable contributor to a team, but not a franchise player by any means.

Compare that to all the drafting the Sens have done in later rounds, along with late first rounders:
Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat, Volchenkov, Salo, Rachunek, Fisher, Dackell, Prusek, Vermette, Meszaros, Emery, etc.

Throw in some very effective trades, like trading the soon to be overpriced Yashin for Spezza and Chara, landing Lalime for next nothing, etc., and it's really hard to pin the success of the franchise on the selection of Daigle, Bonk, Berard and Phillips.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Colorado built itself through a big trade and through the draft.
Ottawa sucked for a big while too.
If the Pens are a top team in 6 years, they'll deserve it after a decade of frustration.

I think any team would rather be a contender than a bottom feeder.

X0ssbar

Another case of wanting your cake and eating it to.

Look if you want to enjoy a season of misery to have one day of excitement then to each his own - but you can't have both.

I for one would trade every top choice the CBJ have made in their first six years of existance for 6 years of making the playoffs.

This thing isn't about draft picks - its about cups.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Evilo said:
Colorado built itself through a big trade and through the draft.

Yes, those poor Avalanche fans, having to suffer years of having a bad team...

:shakehead

*cough* Quebec *cough*

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
They need to rearrange the ordering based on conference standings, not points because of the new schedules.

Say if a team in the East wins the Cup, then the 1st overall pick goes to the worst team in the West. 2nd overall pick to the worst team in the East and so on. Also have two lotteries, 1 for each conference. The bottom 5 in each have a chance at the 1st and 2nd picks respectively.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
bill pickles said:
Yes, those poor Avalanche fans, having to suffer years of having a bad team...

:shakehead

*cough* Quebec *cough*
What was that supposed to mean?
It's obvious I was talking about the franchise, not the town... :dunno:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
The NHL's current system is pretty fair. They don't just give away the first overall pick and the bottom five have a chance.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Evilo said:
What was that supposed to mean?
It's obvious I was talking about the franchise, not the town... :dunno:

I didn't mean to come across as an ass, but if you're talking about the success of the Avalanche, you have to mention the Quebec franchise it used to be. They were emerging as a powerhouse in the NHL, then got moved the next year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm fully aware of that.
But what I said is still true : they developped through a big trade and through the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->