Salary Cap: Next Summer

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Okay so Pietrangelo is gone. That sucks. Can't change it, so let's move on. Next summer Bozak, Steen, Binnington, Schwartz, and Gunnarsson are all UFA. Sanford, Barbashev, De la Rose, Thomas, and Kyrou are all RFA.

I think we should go after a big free agent, get Scandella to be picked by Seattle, resign Schwartz, Binnington, Thomas, Sanford, Barbashev, and Kyrou. Not sure what Dunn will get this year, but I don't think it'll be a ton. I think we should consider the following roster:

Sanford (2.75) - O'Reilly (7.5) - Perron (4)
Schwartz (6.25?) - Schenn (6.5) - Tarasenko (7.5 fingers crossed)
Blais (1.5) - Thomas (??) - Kyrou (??) - These depend heavily on what type of years they have. I have no idea what to guess here, would love some input.
Barbashev (1.5?) - Sundqvist (2.75) - Clifford (1)
MacEachern (0.9)

Krug (6.5) - Hamilton (7.25)
Dunn (2.75) - Parayko (5.5)
Mikkola (0.78) - Faulk (6.5)
Perunovich (0.925), Bortuzzo (1.375)

Binnington (5) -
using the Robin Lehner contract as a comparable and assuming he has a pretty good year
Husso (0.75)

If I did my math correctly (and I probably am not), that would leave us with ~9.5M to sign Thomas and Kyrou. We replace Pietrangelo with another good (and younger!) RHD. Not sure how much Hamilton will end up getting, so we have room on the upper end.

Edit: I definitely did the math wrong, it would leave us with ~2 million with these numbers. Trade Bortuzzo and we have about 3.5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton McKnight

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
what i want to know is who do we protect in the expansion draft now

Tarasenko, Schenn, ROR, Schwartz, Perron, Thomas, Kyrou?
Parayko, Krug and Dunn?
Binner

guess it depends too on if they can resign Schwartz

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Parayko, Krug and Dunn?
Binner

Wouldn't we not need to protect Kyrou and Schwartz? Schwartz as a FA and Kyrou hasn't played enough?

Like I said though, I would be fine dangling a piece to get Seattle to draft Scandella.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Uh, it’s way too early for any of this. I’m not sure how we are supposed to know who we will try to get Seattle to pick without playing the season. What if Scandella becomes one of our most reliable guys for example? We also have to see how some of our free agents perform to know who will be back and what they deserve.

Sorry but this thread needs to wait.

One thing I will say though is Vince Dunn won’t be on the roster in a year. No room for him.

Reactions: Celtic Note

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Uh, it’s way too early for any of this. I’m not sure how we are supposed to know who we will try to get Seattle to pick without playing the season. What if Scandella becomes one of our most reliable guys for example? We also have to see how some of our free agents perform to know who will be back and what they deserve.

Sorry but this thread needs to wait.

One thing I will say though is Vince Dunn won’t be on the roster in a year. No room for him.
If there's no room for Dunn, then there's not room for Scandella. And yes, sure, this is premature. But it's fun to talk about it.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’m going into this assuming Dunn gets moved this offseason.

Protect:
F: O’Reilly, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Thomas, Kyrou, Sundqvist

D: Parayko, Krug, Mikkola/Scandella

G: Binner(if he’s good this year)/Husso

I think Army will send Sanford to Seattle for them to take Faulk.

Schwartz gets signed to the same deal Schenn got and Thomas gets bridged.

As far as free agency, I see the big fish going towards the offense, not defense.

I see us going after either Landeskog or Hall up front, and a 2RD along the lines of Larsson/Montour/Savard to pair with Krug.

Personally, I’d rather get Hall, but that’s because there’s a lot of hard miles on Landy. Stylistically speaking, Landy would be a perfect fit for the first half of that deal.

As far as goaltending, if Binner is solid, he stays. If he isn’t, I think you go after Freddy Andersen, or someone like Raanta or Grubauer if Husso plays to his potential.

After it’s all said and done, it ends up looking something like this:

Hall/Landeskog-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin-Thomas-Tarasenko
Blais-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Clifford, MacEachern

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-UFA
Mikkola-Perunovich
Bortuzzo

Binnington/UFA
Husso

As long as the kids progress, that team is easily back to being a Cup contender.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If there's no room for Dunn, then there's not room for Scandella. And yes, sure, this is premature. But it's fun to talk about it.
There is, though. Scandella may be one of our more reliable defenders and we just signed him to a 4-year contract.

Dunn doesn’t have a contract and we just brought in Krug and have Perunovich in the system. Planning to ice all of them in the same lineup would be an absolute disaster to watch.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Okay so Pietrangelo is gone. That sucks. Can't change it, so let's move on. Next summer Bozak, Steen, Binnington, Schwartz, and Gunnarsson are all UFA. Sanford, Barbashev, De la Rose, Thomas, and Kyrou are all RFA.

I think we should go after a big free agent, get Scandella to be picked by Seattle, resign Schwartz, Binnington, Thomas, Sanford, Barbashev, and Kyrou. Not sure what Dunn will get this year, but I don't think it'll be a ton. I think we should consider the following roster:

Sanford (2.75) - O'Reilly (7.5) - Perron (4)
Schwartz (6.25?) - Schenn (6.5) - Tarasenko (7.5 fingers crossed)
Blais (1.5) - Thomas (??) - Kyrou (??) - These depend heavily on what type of years they have. I have no idea what to guess here, would love some input.
Barbashev (1.5?) - Sundqvist (2.75) - Clifford (1)
MacEachern (0.9)

Krug (6.5) - Hamilton (7.25)
Dunn (2.75) - Parayko (5.5)
Mikkola (0.78) - Faulk (6.5)
Perunovich (0.925), Bortuzzo (1.375)

Binnington (5) -
using the Robin Lehner contract as a comparable and assuming he has a pretty good year
Husso (0.75)

If I did my math correctly (and I probably am not), that would leave us with ~9.5M to sign Thomas and Kyrou. We replace Pietrangelo with another good (and younger!) RHD. Not sure how much Hamilton will end up getting, so we have room on the upper end.

Edit: I definitely did the math wrong, it would leave us with ~2 million with these numbers. Trade Bortuzzo and we have about 3.5.
I would rather keep Scandella and expose Faulk and trade Dunn.
  • Krug-Hamilton
  • Scandella-Parayko
  • Mikkola-Bortuzzo
  • Perunovich

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Robin lehner is a vezina finalist. No way binny should be getting his money unless he plays completely different than he did from december on.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
How about July 1st we extend Parayko and then fill out the rest of the roster. Wishful thinking?
Not to jump right into more UFA speculation but I just don't see why Parayko would do that. He's going to hit UFA at age 29. He just watched a...not smooth?... negotiation go down between the team's captain and best defenseman for the better part of a decade. At some point between now and then fans should be returning and I believe the TV deal will need to be renewed. In other words the cap should be rising - at least modestly - and he will have been thrust into the #1D spot on a team that is ostensibly trying to compete. He has every motivation to at least see where things stand closer to hitting UFA.

Perhaps he will value the security after seeing this insane year unfold, but I suspect it would take the same things that just became a pissing match - bonuses, movement protection - to get him to lock in early. It will likely take those things to get him signed at all, frankly.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Parayko, Krug and Dunn?
Binner

I’m finding a way to protect Sundqvist. Also no way I’m protecting both Krug and Dunn. We shouldn’t want both on the roster let alone protect both.

Personally, I’m not protecting any of the guys signed super long term. Schenn, Faulk, Krug are all unprotected and if Seattle takes one of them, great. All three will age poorly

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
There is, though. Scandella may be one of our more reliable defenders and we just signed him to a 4-year contract.

Dunn doesn’t have a contract and we just brought in Krug and have Perunovich in the system. Planning to ice all of them in the same lineup would be an absolute disaster to watch.
Okay, but then we can use the whole line of argument you used to poopoo this whole conversation. What if Dunn becomes our best LHD this year.

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019
I've got a feeling Tarasenko may be exposed in the expansion draft.

I don't think he'll be the same.. big cap hit if so!

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't get why people are so quick to want to get shed of Vince Dunn. He has a lot of offensive skill, and he will have a chance to grow with Pietrangelo gone.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't get why people are so quick to want to get shed of Vince Dunn. He has a lot of offensive skill, and he will have a chance to grow with Pietrangelo gone.

Because we signed Boston Vince Dunn last week and have Hobey Baker Vince Dunn coming up.

Add in the question marks about Justin Faulk and that’s simply far too many liabilities on the defensive side of the puck.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I've got a feeling Tarasenko may be exposed in the expansion draft.

I don't think he'll be the same.. big cap hit if so!
I read that if Tarasenko misses 41 or more games this upcoming season, he’ll be exempt. I haven’t confirmed this yet, however.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I absolutely don’t want to get rid of him. But the reality is there just isn’t room on our roster for all these PMDs. I think the composition of our D is a mistake, but it seems like a mistake we now have to live with for the foreseeable future. With that in mind, Dunn seems the obvious, if not unfortunate, choice to move.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I read that if Tarasenko misses 41 or more games this upcoming season, he’ll be exempt. I haven’t confirmed this yet, however.

I read that differently - the rule states that at a least 2 players exposed who must be signed for the 2021-22 season having played 40 games the previous season or 70 games over the past 2 seasons (Tarasenko played 10 last year). So Tarasenko would need to play 40 games this season to qualify as one of those 2 that must be signed for 2021-22 for us to meet the baseline expansion draft criteria - there's nothing saying he cannot be selected in that particular paragraph.

Or, there's the career threatening injury section, where they've missed the last 60 consecutive games... I don’t know what hoops would need to be jumped through, but Tarasenko couldn't play for us at all this upcoming season to meet this criteria.

I don't particularly believe either of these exempt Tarasenko from eligibility for us. I haven't seen anything regarding other forms of exemption except for 1st and second year pros, which Tarasenko is most definitely not.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I read that differently - the rule states that at a least 2 players exposed who must be signed for the 2021-22 season having played 40 games the previous season or 70 games over the past 2 seasons (Tarasenko played 10 last year). So Tarasenko would need to play 40 games this season to qualify as one of those 2 that must be signed for 2021-22 for us to meet the baseline expansion draft criteria - there's nothing saying he cannot be selected in that particular paragraph.

Or, there's the career threatening injury section, where they've missed the last 60 consecutive games... I don’t know what hoops would need to be jumped through, but Tarasenko couldn't play for us at all this upcoming season to meet this criteria.

I don't particularly believe either of these exempt Tarasenko from eligibility for us. I haven't seen anything regarding other forms of exemption except for 1st and second year pros, which Tarasenko is most definitely not.
You’re definitely right, after reading the actual rules. Though Tarasenko did miss the last 4 consecutive games, so it would seem that if he misses the next 57, then he might be exempt. Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad