Next season's USNTDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Forward Matt Rust and d-man Ian Cole have been named to the team.

D-man Nick Petrecki is visiting the program some time this week.

Beyond them, here are a few names off the top of my head that I think will be at the try out camp in a few months...

Forwards: Ryan Schnell, Matt Smyth, Ryan Hayes, Anthony Maiani, John Albert, Josh Franklin etc.

Defense: Tristan Llewellyn, Cade Fairchild, Colby Cohen, Ben Rosen, Nick Jaskowiak, Kevin Shattenkirk, Frank Grzesczak etc.

Goalies: Andrew Margolan, Brad Phillips etc.

I haven't heard about any '88s leaving the program.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
cagney said:
Forward Matt Rust and d-man Ian Cole have been named to the team.

D-man Nick Petrecki is visiting the program some time this week.

Beyond them, here are a few names off the top of my head that I think will be at the try out camp in a few months...

Forwards: Ryan Schnell, Matt Smyth, Ryan Hayes, Anthony Maiani, John Albert, Josh Franklin etc.

Defense: Tristan Llewellyn, Cade Fairchild, Colby Cohen, Ben Rosen, Nick Jaskowiak, Kevin Shattenkirk, Frank Grzesczak etc.

Goalies: Andrew Margolan, Brad Phillips etc.

I haven't heard about any '88s leaving the program.

cagney: I've read about a few of these players already (like Petricki). In your opinion, do any of these players really standout above the rest? If so, who and why?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
Are any players from the 88 team moving on elsewhere?
I don't think that Kevin Montgomery and Patrick Kane have shut the door on playing junior hockey and you can bet London will be making a big push to sign them.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:

Isn't Smyth supposed to be a top OHL pick? From what I've heard, it sounds like he'
s going the OHL route. (admittedly, I haven't heard much)

Also, how long has he been in Canada? Does he consider himself American or Canadian?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
smyth is from florida, and supposedly the most dynamic forward available for the ohl draft. i know petrecki is listed as the best player available for the draft by some scouts. colby cohen is from the same area as me, and is very good, and i hear he has gotten much better playing in syracuse, and should get a long look hopefully.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
cagney: I've read about a few of these players already (like Petricki). In your opinion, do any of these players really standout above the rest? If so, who and why?

The guys who really seem to be doing impressive things are Llewellyn, Petrecki, Smyth, Hayes, Maiani, and Margolan.

Llewellyn is playing in the USHL, Petrecki is a force in the EJHL, Smyth seems to be the best forward in Ontario Minor Midget (I don't know what his citizenship situation is), Hayes is averaging nearly a goal a game in the OPJHL which is very good, Maiani seems to be the best player in US Minor Midget (better than his brother at the same age), and Margolan is one of the top goalies in New England Prep school. The others I named are doing quite well too but the guys listed above seem to be the most outstanding.

There aren't too many 15 year olds who can play in the USHL (Vanek, Gerbe, and Haskins are the last that I remember), Petrecki is a big defensive type so his numbers shouldn't be a huge factor in his play, Smyth has been compared favoribly to Andrew Cogliano, Hayes is producing at an elite rate for a 15 year old (althouh I've heard he's small and slow but he should be able to produce at the junior/college level), and Margolan has a 95% save percentage while playing a whole lot of minutes in the prep league (he is a bit small though).

Last edited:

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Tristin Llewellyn has stated his intention on returning to Indiana of the USHL next season. Still somewhere in the back of my head, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the OHL next year (Plymouth? Kitchener?), despite his verbal commitment to Michigan.

Nick Petrecki is a dynamite prospect. Big, strong, excellent skater, great with the puck, lots of poise. Not sure on his intentions for next season, but he is an impact player in Tier 2 as a 15-year old.

I like Johnny Albert (Cleveland), Matt Thurber (Madison) and Dan Durham (Team Illinois) as well for forwards, all playing up in midget major. Pacho Grzeszczak (Florida native, Honeybaked Major Midget) is a smallish d-man with loads of offensive upside and a great attitude. He should be a perfect fit in the NTDP.

I expect Matt Smyth will be taken top five in the OHL Draft and will playing in the O next year.

One sleeper could be Pittsburgh Hornets minor midget centre CJ Severyn. Good size, skating and highly skilled.

F Nick Palmieri (Northwood Prep), F Mike Cieslak (Rochester, NY) and D Kevin Shattenkirk (Brunswick School) all should be in the mix.

Don't know alot about the guys out west, but Minnesota Ds Nick Jaskowiak and Cade Fairchild are both well regarded.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Zack Torquato, and Mark Katic are two pretty good prospects available for the upcoming OHL draft.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Andrew_11 said:
Zack Torquato, and Mark Katic are two pretty good prospects available for the upcoming OHL draft.

Both are excellent prospects and should go in the Top Ten.

Neither are American citizens and are not eligible for the US NTDP, which is the crux of this thread.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
John E. Ringo said:
I expect Matt Smyth will be taken top five in the OHL Draft and will playing in the O next year.

From what I know of him (not a lot admittedly) I'd agree. I'm sure the NTDP will make a push for him though.

John E. Ringo said:
Matt Thurber (Madison)

I remember hearing some very good things about him last year at one point but the sources weren't of the highest quality.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Andrew_11 said:

Torquato is widely considered to be the top forward prospect for the upcoming OHL draft while Katic is fast making a name for himself. In fact IHS lists him as the best Defensemen for the draft and likens him as a next Trevor Daley.

There is no doubt Smyth will go in the top five while players such as Patrecki, Cole and Cohen stand an excellent chance of going in the top 10 should they opt for the OHL.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
orangeandblack said:
smyth is from florida, and supposedly the most dynamic forward available for the ohl draft. i know petrecki is listed as the best player available for the draft by some scouts. colby cohen is from the same area as me, and is very good, and i hear he has gotten much better playing in syracuse, and should get a long look hopefully.
Do u know where in fla.?

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Anyone know of any underagers (90' birthdates) that may have a shot at this team? It's not unusual for them to take at least one underager, any thoughts on who it could be?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
dont know where in florida hes from, or how long he hasnt been playing in the state, just know he is from florida.

theres some very good 90s on ssm's bantam team that are us citizens. i havent heard of any 90 that is head and shoulders above the rest, unless there is some minnesota prospect that wsnt at selects last summer, i could be wrong though. they do usually bring in at least one underager, or at least offer the position.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I was hoping Jasowiak was going to play for the Vancouver Giants of the WHL, since they took a late round pick on him, but it looks like he won't be.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
dont know where in florida hes from, or how long he hasnt been playing in the state, just know he is from florida.

theres some very good 90s on ssm's bantam team that are us citizens. i havent heard of any 90 that is head and shoulders above the rest, unless there is some minnesota prospect that wsnt at selects last summer, i could be wrong though. they do usually bring in at least one underager, or at least offer the position.

Smyth is from Orlando. He started playing in Ontario this season for the Markham Islanders (GTHL).

For my money, he is THE most "special" forward in this year's OHL draft. Torquato and Couture are putting up very good numbers in Jr. B, but Smyth's wheels, hands and finish are at a different level than those guys.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
what are his plans for next season? ohl or ntdp? also what organization did he play for previously, and how did he end up with the markham islanders?

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Does anyone have any info on an 89' defensemen from Cleveland, Doug Leaverton. He's listed at 6'3" 170, I'm sure he's on the NTDP's radar, seems like 1989 was a great year for big defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->