Next Season

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The Cougars tweeted out a message this afternoon that said, among other things, that "...the City of Prince George has assured our organization that the CN Centre will reopen."
I've seen the statement, but City Council said CN Centre won't open until 2021, and even then only if the province moves to Stage 4 of its reopening plan, so I don't know where the Cougars get their optimism.

Kin, aquatic centres to reopen

The league's schedule seems to be based on the notion that rules around large gatherings are going to be eased by Oct. 2. Again, that strikes me as very optimistic. BC's PHO is nervous about numbers rising now in areas like Kelowna. Factor in the matter that public health officials are looking at outbreaks in terms of two incubation periods - four weeks - and the crunch starts to look pretty real.

Reality is there are a lot of tumblers that need to fall perfectly in place for the WHL to be playing hockey in October. It can happen, sure, but I just think the odds are pretty long.

And yes, you're right about the financial implications of playing without fans. But as I said, the PHO has given zero indication she's prepared to allow for gatherings of several thousand. Alberta has been making decisions that are a bit more political than scientific, but with the numbers coming out of Edmonton and Calgary, I don't think they're going to be keen either. So unless those numbers change, the league either plays without fans (presumably getting some assistance from government or perhaps the NHL) or they don't play at all.

ETA: Has the league made any statement at all about the challenge of players crossing the US/Canada border? Washington is a mess - close to a thousand new cases a day in some cases and it doesn't seem to be getting better. We British Columbians do not want the border opened until their outbreak is under control. I suppose having teams play only within their division is possible, but that still requires players to travel from Canada to the US.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
And yes, you're right about the financial implications of playing without fans. But as I said, the PHO has given zero indication she's prepared to allow for gatherings of several thousand. Alberta has been making decisions that are a bit more political than scientific, but with the numbers coming out of Edmonton and Calgary, I don't think they're going to be keen either. So unless those numbers change, the league either plays without fans (presumably getting some assistance from government or perhaps the NHL) or they don't play at all.

Up to now the WHL has been very consistent in its messaging that all arenas have to allow for 50% capacity or there won't be any hockey. Which is starting to look unlikely for this fall, as you pointed out. But yes, if governments or the NHL step in to help pay the bills of a season with few if any fans, then hub cities become a little more realistic. Although that does seem like a bit of a longshot because any such arrangement would have to be duplicated for the other CHL leagues and probably the USHL too. Then you're probably talking some pretty big dollars.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Frankly given the fact that the WHL is a gate driven league and until there is a vaccine it is pretty much a given that 50% of capacity is going to be a pipe dream.

Seriously people are going to watch the NHL on TV in hub cities because there is money to be made and to provide for such play.

This situation simply does not exist for the junior leagues....period.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Frankly given the fact that the WHL is a gate driven league and until there is a vaccine it is pretty much a given that 50% of capacity is going to be a pipe dream.

Seriously people are going to watch the NHL on TV in hub cities because there is money to be made and to provide for such play.

This situation simply does not exist for the junior leagues....period.

There are several factors where 50 % capacity could be fine. A bailout from government, the NHL lending money. Or the couple billionaire owners could make a loan as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There are several factors where 50 % capacity could be fine.

From a health standpoint the argument is going to be pretty hard to allow for hockey a place where large groups of people are drinking beer and opening their mouths alot.

A bailout from government, the NHL lending money. Or the couple billionaire owners could make a loan as well.

All 3 have huge problems, the least 2 are the biggest as most CHL teams live week to week, how are they going to repay any loans.

As for government bailouts, lets see how that goes over in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Well can have no concessions, and I'm sure there is a way to have people seated in such a way that they aren't near each other.

The WHL is surely figuring out every possible way. And there is some time to figure it out.

But I do NOT think, that the entire season will be wiped out. I don't see the league starting till after Christmas.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Well can have no concessions, and I'm sure there is a way to have people seated in such a way that they aren't near each other.

The WHL is surely figuring out every possible way. And there is some time to figure it out.

But I do NOT think, that the entire season will be wiped out. I don't see the league starting till after Christmas.

So Quebec allows groups of 250 people
As of August 1
Assuming we could do the same in BC AB etc... In a standard WHL rink could you not argue that you isolate 4 or 5 different groups of 250?
Sepertate washrooms, concessions, exits etc for each group so no interaction between them? Could even park them sepertate if needed

That gets 1000 plus in the building

Is that enough?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
From a health standpoint the argument is going to be pretty hard to allow for hockey a place where large groups of people are drinking beer and opening their mouths alot.

All 3 have huge problems, the least 2 are the biggest as most CHL teams live week to week, how are they going to repay any loans.

As for government bailouts, lets see how that goes over in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Alberta is the province where the taxpayers shelled out hundreds of millions for new arenas in Calgary and Edmonton, so maybe?

Seeing now that Junior B teams in BC are charging players $10,000 apiece, acting on the assumption that they'll be playing in empty buildings for the year. They're hearing what everyone else is hearing: the PHO is not in any hurry to relax restrictions on large gatherings. I just don't know what a road map to normal WHL hockey looks like.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
So Quebec allows groups of 250 people
As of August 1
Assuming we could do the same in BC AB etc... In a standard WHL rink could you not argue that you isolate 4 or 5 different groups of 250?
Sepertate washrooms, concessions, exits etc for each group so no interaction between them? Could even park them sepertate if needed

That gets 1000 plus in the building

Is that enough?

Capacity of 1,000 means business pretty well as usual for the Winnipeg ICE (except those games against Brandon I guess). But it's going to be damned hard for the rest of the teams in the WHL to go from, let's say, $80,000 box office receipts a night to $20,000, assuming that they go from 4,000 fans a night at $20 a pop on average to 1,000 fans. I would imagine the hit would be even harder in good-drawing markets like Edmonton and Portland.

Alberta is the province where the taxpayers shelled out hundreds of millions for new arenas in Calgary and Edmonton, so maybe?

Seeing now that Junior B teams in BC are charging players $10,000 apiece, acting on the assumption that they'll be playing in empty buildings for the year. They're hearing what everyone else is hearing: the PHO is not in any hurry to relax restrictions on large gatherings. I just don't know what a road map to normal WHL hockey looks like.

Ouch. That is staggering. What an incredible burden that is going to place on families that want to support their kid's dreams.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Considering the success rate for jr B players in BC even going to college I wonder how many families are in a position to cough up 10K.

The elite young players do not have to worry as somehow provisions will be made for them but a 20-21 equivalent of a guy like Troy Stecher is going to find it hard to play until the health concerns are drastically minimized.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Yeah, it's just a date. Anything can happen between now and then. I suppose the real kernel of truth in there is that the WHL hasn't given up 2020-21 yet, there is still going to be an effort to stage a hockey season. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Yeah, it's just a date. Anything can happen between now and then. I suppose the real kernel of truth in there is that the WHL hasn't given up 2020-21 yet, there is still going to be an effort to stage a hockey season. Fingers crossed.

Q commissioner annouced going ahead with October 1 start of season without fans
commitment to development of kids I guess?
also said will go with or without maritime provinces

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Q commissioner annouced going ahead with October 1 start of season without fans
commitment to development of kids I guess?
also said will go with or without maritime provinces

Don't know what to think of this. Get ready for a few starts and stops for them this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->