Next Season

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
What can be done to have the WHL start relatively on time? I know they'll follow what the NHL does, but any suggestions of your own?

1.Limit the number of attendance
2.Have limited number of people in a section, make sure people are spread out.
3.Close concessions and bathrooms so people aren't falling on each other.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wait until it's safe?

Hopefully I hope they find a way to play and monitor the players but there isn't enough money to do this.

For as much as people are lamenting the loss of pro sports its amateur and sports like the CHL that I worry about the most.

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The league cannot play without fans and no provincial health office is going to allow large gatherings for the foreseeable future. I would be surprised to see the WHL in play before January, if at all.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The WHL announced a target start date of October 2 with a full 68 game schedule. It will be interesting to see how they handle the fans in the stands issue. Some cities will have no trouble accommodating close to normal levels of fans, while others might struggle just to fit their season ticket holders into the building.

I know that a lot can change between now and October, but it's still a nice mental boost to think that we could be going back to watch live hockey in person pretty soon...

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I wonder how much lead time the league needs between the re-opening of the border and the start of the regular season. At this point, the border is closed until the end of July, and with the inability (thus far) of Washington to get its outbreak under control, there is no eagerness in Canada to change that any time soon. So if there is no decision by (say) Aug. 15 to reopen the border by the end of that month, can the league prepare to have a regular season open six weeks later?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I wonder how much lead time the league needs between the re-opening of the border and the start of the regular season. At this point, the border is closed until the end of July, and with the inability (thus far) of Washington to get its outbreak under control, there is no eagerness in Canada to change that any time soon. So if there is no decision by (say) Aug. 15 to reopen the border by the end of that month, can the league prepare to have a regular season open six weeks later?
I'm honestly wondering if they have to plan to base the US division somewhere in BC and run the teams on the road for at least the start of the season.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I'm honestly wondering if they have to plan to base the US division somewhere in BC and run the teams on the road for at least the start of the season.
Sure. Put Portland in Nanaimo, Everett in Chilliwack, Seattle in Abbotsford, Tri-Cities in Penticton and Spokane in Cranbrook. All the places essentially rejected by the WHL at one time or another get to play saviour. That would be HIGH-larious.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
What can be done to have the WHL start relatively on time? ...
3.Close concessions and bathrooms so people aren't falling on each other.

Lol if they're actually hoping for people in the building it'll probably be
1) 12% capacity AND plexiglass dividers (specifically, behind occupied seat rows) OR
2) 20% AND mandatory all-times mask usage OR
3) 50%(?) AND mandatory all-times mask usage AND plexiglass dividers

in combo with like....no beer sales, many MORE bathrooms (lines are what'll get ya), enhanced ventilation, enforced exit procedures, etc.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The league keeps talking about having minimum 50% capacity but in BC there is still a restriction on gatherings of more than 50 people that no one has indicated a willingness to lift. I mean for Prince George 50 people is a big crowd (I kid, I kid) but you can't have a 50-per-cent minimum and a maximum of 50 people.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lol if they're actually hoping for people in the building it'll probably be
1) 12% capacity AND plexiglass dividers (specifically, behind occupied seat rows) OR
2) 20% AND mandatory all-times mask usage OR
3) 50%(?) AND mandatory all-times mask usage AND plexiglass dividers

in combo with like....no beer sales, many MORE bathrooms (lines are what'll get ya), enhanced ventilation, enforced exit procedures, etc.

So basically no fans as the costs to do this would make it a non starter.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
So basically no fans as the costs to do this would make it a non starter.

Don't forget the cost for testing all the time. If there is a season, I'm sure the BC Division will only play each other, same with the other divisions.

There is also talk of having the US teams starting at another time during the season.

Personally if they can get some help from the NHL, it can be pulled off. Having 50 percent capacity, fans spread way out from each other, I think it can be done.

I can't see losing another year of development for these kids, regardless of circumstances.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Don't forget the cost for testing all the time. If there is a season, I'm sure the BC Division will only play each other, same with the other divisions.

There is also talk of having the US teams starting at another time during the season.

Personally if they can get some help from the NHL, it can be pulled off. Having 50 percent capacity, fans spread way out from each other, I think it can be done.

I can't see losing another year of development for these kids, regardless of circumstances.

Man I hope you are right but without any financial help form the NHL (and I really wonder if they would even be interested as they have the AHL to worry about already) I don't know what they are going to do.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Man I hope you are right but without any financial help form the NHL (and I really wonder if they would even be interested as they have the AHL to worry about already) I don't know what they are going to do.

Here is my view of what could work.

60 game schedule

Each team plays each other 11 or 12 times.
Instead of having even inter-conference games in the playoffs, for next season maybe have the champions from each division play each other in a final 4 type tournament, similar to the Mem Cup. Maybe have it in a hub city? Like Kelowna as a way to help partly to make up for losing the Mem Cup.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Here is my view of what could work.

60 game schedule

Each team plays each other 11 or 12 times.
Instead of having even inter-conference games in the playoffs, for next season maybe have the champions from each division play each other in a final 4 type tournament, similar to the Mem Cup. Maybe have it in a hub city? Like Kelowna as a way to help partly to make up for losing the Mem Cup.

The problem I see is that the WHL (and other CHL leagues) are going to need hub cities and I have no idea on how that is going to work as billeting has seasons tickets attached and there is a who;e host of problems with doing hub cities with teenagers.

Realistically I see the best (non drafted) players playing still but under what scenario is hard to say.

Drafted players might just become the responsibility of their NHL teams.

Maybe something under hockey Canada?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Chatted with an employee at the Keystone Centre the other day, he says staff have been told to expect hockey won't resume until the new year. Take it for what it's worth, but it's telling that the message isn't 'get ready to start up in October'.

As for the hub city idea, wouldn't it just make more sense to restrict teams to inter-division play? The US-based teams probably won't be allowed to cross the border anyway, so just keep the other teams in their provinces (BC, AB, MB/SK). That would probably cut down risk significantly, and teams can sell at least some tickets. The hub city model won't work for the WHL if it isn't getting any ticket revenues.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I know it shouldn't be squarely on them, but why ask the government for money when you have a ton of millionaire/billionaire owners?

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Not every team has a wealthy owner, Swift Current and Prince Albert are owned by their cities I believe, maybe others

My point is is that I don't see why they can't all help each other. The league is very far from being incapable of holding itself up.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
My point is is that I don't see why they can't all help each other. The league is very far from being incapable of holding itself up.
That's very true, I doubt money would be given away for free but perhaps some loans within the league to help smaller clubs could happen. Problem is, every owner is losing revenue this year no matter what happens, just a matter of how bad it is.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
That's very true, I doubt money would be given away for free but perhaps some loans within the league to help smaller clubs could happen. Problem is, every owner is losing revenue this year no matter what happens, just a matter of how bad it is.

Well pretty sure Gaglardi, Toigo etc bottom line wouldn't be affected losing a couple mill.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Posted to another thread, but the City of Prince George currently has no plans to open its arenas until at least Jan. 1, primarily due to budget issues as a result of COVID-19. I don't know how the Cougars can plan to operate with that kind of uncertainty. In the most hurry-up scenario, you have to think the team would have to be fully in training camp by Sept. 15 to be ready to hit the ice by Oct. 2. So seven weeks out, they don't know for sure that there will be an arena for them to set up shop in.

Can it be done? Surely, but if I'm in the club's head office, my hair is growing whiter by the minute.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
City of Prince George decided yesterday that three of their arenas - including the rinks of both the Cougars and the Junior A Spruce Kings - will stay closed until the new year. Their argument is that the WHL and BCHL won't be operating until the province moves into Stage 4, which is not exactly what the WHL has been saying. The two teams could use the Kin Centres (three sheets of ice) to work out in until their home arenas re-open. One of the rinks has seating for about 700 people IIRC, but until the restrictions on large gatherings are removed, there's no need for seating anyway.

Frankly, until the restrictions on gatherings is removed, the only possible way for the WHL to operate is in a few hub cities. They would still have hotel expenses, but they could at least save on transportation costs.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Frankly, until the restrictions on gatherings is removed, the only possible way for the WHL to operate is in a few hub cities. They would still have hotel expenses, but they could at least save on transportation costs.

The WHL made it pretty clear they won't be operating unless all arenas are operating at a minimum of 50% capacity, so the hub city model won't work. Hubs only make sense if you need to put out a product to satisfy a TV deal, which the WHL doesn't have.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Cougars tweeted out a message this afternoon that said, among other things, that "...the City of Prince George has assured our organization that the CN Centre will reopen."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->