Next Season

Discussion in 'WHL' started by Juniorhockeyguru, May 20, 2020.

1. Juniorhockeyguru Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What can be done to have the WHL start relatively on time? I know they'll follow what the NHL does, but any suggestions of your own?

1.Limit the number of attendance
    2.Have limited number of people in a section, make sure people are spread out.
    3.Close concessions and bathrooms so people aren't falling on each other.

2. wetcoast Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Wait until it's safe?

Hopefully I hope they find a way to play and monitor the players but there isn't enough money to do this.

For as much as people are lamenting the loss of pro sports its amateur and sports like the CHL that I worry about the most.

Juniorhockeyguru likes this.
  3. MeHateHe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The league cannot play without fans and no provincial health office is going to allow large gatherings for the foreseeable future. I would be surprised to see the WHL in play before January, if at all.

4. jetsmooseice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The WHL announced a target start date of October 2 with a full 68 game schedule. It will be interesting to see how they handle the fans in the stands issue. Some cities will have no trouble accommodating close to normal levels of fans, while others might struggle just to fit their season ticket holders into the building.

I know that a lot can change between now and October, but it's still a nice mental boost to think that we could be going back to watch live hockey in person pretty soon...

5. MeHateHe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I wonder how much lead time the league needs between the re-opening of the border and the start of the regular season. At this point, the border is closed until the end of July, and with the inability (thus far) of Washington to get its outbreak under control, there is no eagerness in Canada to change that any time soon. So if there is no decision by (say) Aug. 15 to reopen the border by the end of that month, can the league prepare to have a regular season open six weeks later?

6. canucklax Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'm honestly wondering if they have to plan to base the US division somewhere in BC and run the teams on the road for at least the start of the season.

7. MeHateHe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Sure. Put Portland in Nanaimo, Everett in Chilliwack, Seattle in Abbotsford, Tri-Cities in Penticton and Spokane in Cranbrook. All the places essentially rejected by the WHL at one time or another get to play saviour. That would be HIGH-larious.

8. passive voice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Lol if they're actually hoping for people in the building it'll probably be
    1) 12% capacity AND plexiglass dividers (specifically, behind occupied seat rows) OR
    2) 20% AND mandatory all-times mask usage OR
    3) 50%(?) AND mandatory all-times mask usage AND plexiglass dividers

in combo with like....no beer sales, many MORE bathrooms (lines are what'll get ya), enhanced ventilation, enforced exit procedures, etc.

9. MeHateHe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The league keeps talking about having minimum 50% capacity but in BC there is still a restriction on gatherings of more than 50 people that no one has indicated a willingness to lift. I mean for Prince George 50 people is a big crowd (I kid, I kid) but you can't have a 50-per-cent minimum and a maximum of 50 people.

Juniorhockeyguru likes this.