Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I said “Truth? Dunno, But it does give one a moment for pause.”

I never claimed it as fact, just something I read AND I also said I wasn’t sure if it was fact or not. I pointed to that as a means of showing there is a lot of confusion and we are at a point of not knowing what to believe.
That's exactly how conspiracy theories are started by spreading BS without facts. It's usually done when people don't like the narrative and they want to change it.

Like I said I expect this from others in this conversation. I can now add you to that group.

Reactions: Otto and OHLTG

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That's a story from a left wing news media that contains actual medical information and sources. I'm sure someone will come along and refute that with a "report" from a reputable source from an unnamed fact checking site that will give us "pause for thought."

You can get off your high horse anytime.

In the article, Dr Gupta suggested Memory Cells can release antibodies when past pathogens enter the body but you cannot detect them.

That, along with everything else in that story still suggest they don’t know enough to make any sort of recommendation other than finding a sweet spot vaccine is the best possible situation. Until then, they don’t know if asymptomatic people spread it or not. They don’t know if Asymptomatic people are immune, they suggest probably not because of the lack of anti-bodies but they don’t know.

They also citied a study of what? 40 people in China? Not very big of a case study.

Japan May Have Beaten Coronavirus Without Lockdowns or Mass Testing. But How?
Here is another of your Left Wing rags that notes they have no idea why Japan came out of this relatively unscathed compared to many other countries. They pretty much made a half-hearted approach to shut down, yet they’ve done really well.

There are many examples where the information is beyond conflicting as to what is right or wrong.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

In the article, Dr Gupta suggested Memory Cells can release antibodies when past pathogens enter the body but you cannot detect them.

That, along with everything else in that story still suggest they don’t know enough to make any sort of recommendation other than finding a sweet spot vaccine is the best possible situation. Until then, they don’t know if asymptomatic people spread it or not. They don’t know if Asymptomatic people are immune, they suggest probably not because of the lack of anti-bodies but they don’t know.

They also citied a study of what? 40 people in China? Not very big of a case study.

Here is another of your Left Wing rags that notes they have no idea why Japan came out of this relatively unscathed compared to many other countries. They pretty much made a half-hearted approach to shut down, yet they’ve done really well.

There are many examples where the information is beyond conflicting as to what is right or wrong.
I'm still waiting for your source for Fauci being corrupt. Until then I'll stay on my high horse so I don't step in any of the BS you're spreading around.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Unfortunately, one of the growing issues with COVID, at least from a social media standpoint, is people post something they think is interesting (factual or not), others believe it to be completely factual, they get riled up, share it, getting more people riled up, and the questionable info spreads like wildfire. This leads to conspiracies and divisive society. Once it gets going, there's no stopping it.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Immunity to COVID-19 is probably higher than tests have shown

I really don’t want more arguments, life is short and it’s really not worth it. But for every article saying one thing, we can find another saying something different. No one is wrong, no one is right. See above as an example

Its just to soon to know anything, so probably not wise to run to any study and treat it like the gospel, unless it’s by a government body or a study on what’s happening now, not what we don’t know or are projecting guesses.

What we do know is we’re doing quite well here in Ontario, June 1st we were ‘stuck’ at 400 daily or so cases, now were ‘stuck’ at 150. In a month we may be ‘stuck’ at 60/70.

We’ve proven we can softly open and remain safe while seeing cases drop. Either it’s not as dangerous as we thought, everyone’s already had it and are immune today, or we’re all doing what we need to to get the numbers down. No one knows the answer, none of our sharpest medical minds know what this second wave will look like or why. But for the time being, we’re good, which to be blunt, is really the most important thing.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Unfortunately, one of the growing issues with COVID, at least from a social media standpoint, is people post something they think is interesting (factual or not), others believe it to be completely factual, they get riled up, share it, getting more people riled up, and the questionable info spreads like wildfire. This leads to conspiracies and divisive society. Once it gets going, there's no stopping it.

Media to blame for some of it for sure.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Except I didn't post it as factual. I even questioned its authenticity in the post.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You said it gives one a moment of pause, which is fine. But that's why I commented; it made me think about other instances where people have posted "interesting" or "food for thought" articles on social media. Their followers/friends get riled up because they believe it's 100% true (which it often isn't) and it spreads like nothing else. It's one reason I don't blame Facebook for going through posts and saying "this isn't true."

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I always thought Taiwan had the secret sauce to defeating COVID from watching some brief stories. I realize they had a lot of advanced intel but seemingly during that whole time a lot of countries/states etc.. either ignored it or weren't aware of it. There was an article in March about Taiwan defeating it and if the US can do the same, let's just say it didn't happen.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

This started long before covid… I'm constantly seeing nuts post about "big pharma doesn't want to cure cancer", " cannabis cures cancer" and "sugar feeds cancer" .. the narrative has just switched to "plandemic" and "5G causes coronavirus"

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

It would be interesting to see how this projects over other countries. We all know the issues down south, but Italy has reported the same thing (ill try to find the link).

Reactions: three dog night

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

It would be interesting to see how this projects over other countries. We all know the issues down south, but Italy has reported the same thing (ill try to find the link).

Yes.. Canada has done great... because of the measures put in place … imagine how bad it would have been if we kept everything open...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
One more

'An announcement on Stage 3 could come within the next week or so, according to Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, medical officer of health for eastern Ontario. He told a videoconference with reporters on Tuesday that officials are looking at increasing the maximum size of gatherings and allowing customers inside restaurants.'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-stage-3-reopening-prospects-covid-19-1.5632829

For some areas not all of Ontario i guessing

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It's all about "confirmation bias".

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
It's all about "confirmation bias".

Its no different on here thou. Someone posts something that may be deemed either too positive or too negative and it gets jumped on. Personal bias or experience can jade or take away objectivity with any subject, COVID related talk isn't immune to that. I wish we could have more nuanced or relaxed dialog about everything, but I'm not sure that's an option sadly.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I have zero idea how to evaluate this.

1 - more people not presenting symptoms are being tested so it is reasonable to assume asymptomaic positive results obviously result in less hospital stays. We could very well have the same percentage of hospital stays in those presenting symptoms but it is rare the data is presented to that degree of preciseness. Is preciseness even a word? I dunno but I'll use it!
2 - other countries that did less than us have some of the same results so who knows? For example, the USA has been very strict on wearing masks compared to Canada and yet Canada is doing so much better.
3 - since the majority of deaths were over 80 and from LTC, one has to assume with new measures in LTC, it is less likey to get a new outbreak in a LTC facility than it was 2 months ago. How does that factor into hospitalizations and deaths?

The reality is, if you take out the LTC numbers and apply testing results based only on symptomatic individuals, maybe we'd see the same percentage results we did before. I am not sure the information being presented is viable to assume the Virus is less severe.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Its no different on here thou. Someone posts something that may be deemed either too positive or too negative and it gets jumped on. Personal bias or experience can jade or take away objectivity with any subject, COVID related talk isn't immune to that. I wish we could have more nuanced or relaxed dialog about everything, but I'm not sure that's an option sadly.

Unfortunately we live in a society now where citizens jump with instant reaction and yet to think of consequence until it becomes an after thought. Media and social media have become self broadcasting platforms to increase self-gratification these days. Even with this thread to some degree is a sign of that.

But to spin this thread back to what this forum is all about lets no kid ourselves the world has changed positive/negative, good/bad etc. however people want to word it these days how this will affect the sports we love and the events we go to will be highly affected on what happens in the coming weeks and months. The sports world will have to adapt to the change just like society and whether or not society will want to accept or deny that truth is really up to the individual.

I am a fan of junior hockey just like the rest of us on here and like the rest of us I hope, expect, look forward to seeing the sport I admire and love return this fall with Covid-19 that has made it a huge question mark right now. Yes this may seem like a subjective post but lets not water-down the simple fact that no one really and truly knows what will happen today, tomorrow, this weekend or this month and that is something that we all have to accept. The province will open up when the people who are in power feel the risks are lower then the chance taken and when that step is taken then we will see the province return to some form of normalcy until then we the citizens of North America will just have to praise the health professionals who are fighting a battle with an invisible foe and that they can get us back to a point where the world scale is balanced somewhat more evenly.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I have zero idea how to evaluate this.

1 - more people not presenting symptoms are being tested so it is reasonable to assume asymptomaic positive results obviously result in less hospital stays. We could very well have the same percentage of hospital stays in those presenting symptoms but it is rare the data is presented to that degree of preciseness. Is preciseness even a word? I dunno but I'll use it!
2 - other countries that did less than us have some of the same results so who knows? For example, the USA has been very strict on wearing masks compared to Canada and yet Canada is doing so much better.
3 - since the majority of deaths were over 80 and from LTC, one has to assume with new measures in LTC, it is less likey to get a new outbreak in a LTC facility than it was 2 months ago. How does that factor into hospitalizations and deaths?

The reality is, if you take out the LTC numbers and apply testing results based only on symptomatic individuals, maybe we'd see the same percentage results we did before. I am not sure the information being presented is viable to assume the Virus is less severe.

My own personal thoughts are that its more along the lines of #3 vs it getting weaker or less contagious. There's some anecdotal evidence that it is weaker (reports from Italy), however there's no actual facts behind it. If it is #3 and we can keep that level of attention up, perhaps its a harbinger on how to open up for the next stage, or perhaps its why numbers continue to go down as we open up more and more, it was always going to dominate the LTC/over 80 crowd and have less and less impact on those under that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
....with no enforcement...

Still, it is mandated. Generall speaking, the stores are enforcing the policies sort forth by their towns and states etc.

West Hollywood is enforcing it now.
1st offence $250
2nd $1000
3rd $2000
4th $5000

The reality is wearing a face covering in the USA is far accepted than in Canada by a wide margin.

I walk into a grocery store here and maybe 1 in 8 people are wearing one.

The point is, the USA has done way more in this regard and yet they are hit harder.

This all begs the question of how much facemasks matter?

Removing a face covering requires proper care otherwise you risk hand contamination. Also, a facemask can provide a false sense of security. They wear them under their chins or only when it is convenient. They rarely get washed going on and off all day for a long period of time. For all we know they could be a significant carrier because they are not properly disinfected regularly.

Yes, maybe it does help protect the public from you but if your face covering is covered with the virus from many interactions and you are touching it with your hands and spreading it to every surface you touch, is it good?

Again, we really don't know enough.

Wearing of face coverings is a very hot topic globally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad