Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I generally try to yield to the medical experts, lord knows im not one. Most seem to follow the Mortality Rate, which it appears they are, then that's good enough for me as well. People can chose whatever they like, I just prefer to follow what the medical people are following.

I wish it were that simple. I read a report where Fauci is pushing for a specific drug treatment then they find out that drug is made by a company he is invested in... truth? Dunno. But, it does give one a moment of pause.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Will the OHL drop the Americans teams this season or will they play out if Ontario.

OHL rule states that games and practices can be held at other facilities that meet the criteria for building standards for the OHL. Point in case the preseason showcase games that have happened for the past few years have been played in places like Kitchener even though it was North Bay and Saginaw.

As long as the host tenant can arrange for the scheduling that would allow for both clubs to use one facility without interfering with the other I can't see that being an issue. Where it shoots in the foot is the season ticket holders in the U.S. based cities that may or may not be allowed to cross the border especially if they've already paid deposits on season tickets. As the bulk of the all the U.S. based CHL teams are Canadian born players at least from the OHL standpoint anyway it would just mean that they would have to dig deeper in their prospects chart to fill the spots that the U.S. born players would naturally fill.

So to answer the question seeing the U.S. teams play out of other OHL cities are possible.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I wish it were that simple. I read a report where Fauci is pushing for a specific drug treatment then they find out that drug is made by a company he is invested in... truth? Dunno. But, it does give one a moment of pause.

I hear you. There's a long history of war profiteering in world politics. Im not shocked that this will be the case here as well. I look at the big picture, if everyone seems to be referencing something like 'mortality rate', its probably good to go.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OHL rule states that games and practices can be held at other facilities that meet the criteria for building standards for the OHL. Point in case the preseason showcase games that have happened for the past few years have been played in places like Kitchener even though it was North Bay and Saginaw.

As long as the host tenant can arrange for the scheduling that would allow for both clubs to use one facility without interfering with the other I can't see that being an issue. Where it shoots in the foot is the season ticket holders in the U.S. based cities that may or may not be allowed to cross the border especially if they've already paid deposits on season tickets. As the bulk of the all the U.S. based CHL teams are Canadian born players at least from the OHL standpoint anyway it would just mean that they would have to dig deeper in their prospects chart to fill the spots that the U.S. born players would naturally fill.

So to answer the question seeing the U.S. teams play out of other OHL cities are possible.

100% possible. Not likely. As far as I am aware (and if I am wrong, please correct me) Erie, Flint, and Saginaw all draw fairly well attendance wise. It would be an easier decision if attendance were somewhat poor.

This could be a great opportunity to use a few neutral sites. Throw a team in Cornwall and/or Chatham for a season. See if you can get some traction...not for relocation but more for potential expansion options.

Hell, if you need a site, Brampton is empty and a quality facility!

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
100% possible. Not likely. As far as I am aware (and if I am wrong, please correct me) Erie, Flint, and Saginaw all draw fairly well attendance wise. It would be an easier decision if attendance were somewhat poor.

This could be a great opportunity to use a few neutral sites. Throw a team in Cornwall and/or Chatham for a season. See if you can get some traction...not for relocation but more for potential expansion options.

Hell, if you need a site, Brampton is empty and a quality facility!

I'm not disputing that the 3 American cities don't draw decent crowds cause they do but looking at contingency plans the league has to consider if the border sits closed for too long due to the high risk factors. This league has to take the situation into their decision making an if it means trying different locations like a Cornwall or Brampton like you mentioned for the majority of the teams players safety then that could be an option.

I like the idea of a little trial run to see if junior hockey could go back to some of these old locations even if it was a temporary situation till things get more under control.

Decisions, decisions??

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm not disputing that the 3 American cities don't draw decent crowds cause they do but looking at contingency plans the league has to consider if the border sits closed for too long due to the high risk factors. This league has to take the situation into their decision making an if it means trying different locations like a Cornwall or Brampton like you mentioned for the majority of the teams players safety then that could be an option.

I like the idea of a little trial run to see if junior hockey could go back to some of these old locations even if it was a temporary situation till things get more under control.

Decisions, decisions??

I mentioned it a few posts back. I could see the US based teams playing out of Canada if the border stays closed. I don't think Cornwall would be an option though given that all 3 teams are in the Western Conference. We could see an area sharing agreement with Niagara, Sarnia, and Windsor.

Wouldn't it be great to see the Firebirds outdrawing the Spits in Windsor?

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Decisions, decisions??

Yeah. I just don't see it being a problem. If they are doing it for the Professional Leagues, I can see them open the border for the CHL. It may not be PRO but it is close enough to receive an exemption provided they are able to follow the same procedures as the Pro Leagues.

That said, I too like the idea of using thee neutral cities to see what kind of $$$ can be generated there. It would be a nice controlled experiment.

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Yeah. I just don't see it being a problem. If they are doing it for the Professional Leagues, I can see them open the border for the CHL. It may not be PRO but it is close enough to receive an exemption provided they are able to follow the same procedures as the Pro Leagues.

That said, I too like the idea of using thee neutral cities to see what kind of $$$ can be generated there. It would be a nice controlled experiment.

Wildcard would be facilitating billet homes for the kids. I can see how schooling can be managed, billets would be difficult on short notice.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Wildcard would be facilitating billet homes for the kids. I can see how schooling can be managed, billets would be difficult on short notice.
Billets are already concerning. A lot of billets are older (at least in my experiences around rinks) which obviously is not great.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Unfortunately at this point in time neutral siting the U.S. teams maybe to OHL's only option. Yes there will always be that debate that the 3 American teams that are in the OHL their host cities would lose on local profits to be made and that the families and fans in those cities would get feathers ruffled due to the fact that they have paid for tickets and prior to the season starting. But looking ahead here and seeing what the OHL and as a whole CHL could do neutral siting teams maybe the only real way to get 2020/21 off the ground. I like your idea of a controlled experiment theory place the 3 American teams in locations that are as close to the main cities as you can get that would cover the fanbase accurately with a reimbursement/OHL Live stream option for those cities with proper radio and newspaper coverage to keep the local fanbase cities aware of what's going on with their teams, and yes not every fan is going to like it for the time being but as a temporary solution even if it was for just one season that would be the safest and best feasible option for the time being.

As we all know the CHL solely bases it's decisions on what the pro leagues do but this could benefit in a few different ways.

1. Players safety could be closely monitored for health and safety

2.It would as you pointed out a chance to experiment in different locations for potential expansion/relocation in the future.

3. Allows the bulk of the CHL players who are coming or returning to the league to have a season for 2020/21.

That being said even for those fans in American cities if they weren't able to view games through OHL live stream each one of those cities does have local media coverage through newspapers and radio stations which in the this rough idea could be used to re-transmit the broadcasts to those main cities. Even if you split the profits 50/50 between the cities who would play host and the teams it would still work as each of those teams would be making profit.

Otto

Even if the border is open in time for the season to start I don't see the two week quarantine going away any time soon. And I don't see that being waived for teenaged hockey players.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Even if the border is open in time for the season to start I don't see the two week quarantine going away any time soon. And I don't see that being waived for teenaged hockey players.
Most ( don't have exact numbers) players in the OHL are Ontario kids. They are already here and their families are already here. Means most families would not have to head across the border to watch games so if they held games close to TO most kids come from that area so families can attend games. Now the US born and Euro kids would have to come 2 weeks early to quarantine but less of them to do this. Saves all players from having the issue of moving back and forth across the border more than once. Not an ideal situation for sure and how do the teams make any money if not playing at home? I would not blame fans for being peaved if this kind of thing is worked out but all options have to be looked at before the season is a complete wash.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I mentioned it a few posts back. I could see the US based teams playing out of Canada if the border stays closed. I don't think Cornwall would be an option though given that all 3 teams are in the Western Conference. We could see an area sharing agreement with Niagara, Sarnia, and Windsor.

Wouldn't it be great to see the Firebirds outdrawing the Spits in Windsor?

It would come down to whether they were willing to juggle the divisions for a season or not. Probably not because I think they’d want to return to their normal cities as soon as possible. But, if they were to commit to a full season in Canada through the playoffs, I could see them do a slight divisional realignment to accommodate the geography.

I am not sure I should say that because it will spark another, “I think this would be a good idea for realignment!”

Reactions: three dog night

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Source please.

Reactions: Otto

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
It would come down to whether they were willing to juggle the divisions for a season or not. Probably not because I think they’d want to return to their normal cities as soon as possible. But, if they were to commit to a full season in Canada through the playoffs, I could see them do a slight divisional realignment to accommodate the geography.

I am not sure I should say that because it will spark another, “I think this would be a good idea for realignment!”

I would have to think Brantford and Belleville would be ready to go right now, as long as the work has been done with regards to billets, schooling can still be done online if needed. Chatham would be an appealing location, just not sure if the infrastructure is there from an arena standpoint.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
the amount of people I’m seeing in pictures at Grand Bend for Canada Day is concerning.

It is interesting to see how many pro athletes have tested positive but are asymptomatic. It's been a rather large percentage. It makes you wonder how many people have it or have had it and didn't know.

As an extension, if "herd immunity" applies to this Virus and a bunch of people have already had it, it may bode well for the fall.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
i can't remember the name of the website. It was one of those fact check sites that look at data surrounding the Virus.
If it's any kind of reputable source I should think it would be easy enough to find. Otherwise it's very irresponsible of you to make an unsubstantiated claim of this magnitude. Especially about a world renowned doctor. To be frank it's something I would expect from others in this discussion, but not you.

Reactions: Otto

Otto

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If it's any kind of reputable source I should think it would be easy enough to find. Otherwise it's very irresponsible of you to make an unsubstantiated claim of this magnitude. Especially about a world renowned doctor. To be frank it's something I would expect from others in this discussion, but not you.

I said “Truth? Dunno, But it does give one a moment for pause.”

I never claimed it as fact, just something I read AND I also said I wasn’t sure if it was fact or not. I pointed to that as a means of showing there is a lot of confusion and we are at a point of not knowing what to believe.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

That may be true but if they had the virus and it didn’t develop into symptoms, it is likely if they get it again, they still won’t develop symptoms.

We don’t know why people don’t present symptoms yet so it is really tough to tell.

We also don’t know whether heard immunity is even a thing for those that get the virus. Can they get it again? It is assumed, no but we don’t know.

Again, loads of unknowns; however, I still think it is positive if a great number of people carry it and are asymptomatic. When 5% of the first 200 NHL players tested positive while they were supposed to be under strict quarantine suggests the asymptomatic numbers of around 35% may be right.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
No sign of schedule coming out so I wonder if there a season it might not be till December or January 2021 if we one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->