Next Season (OHL-Related COVID-19 Discussion Thread) [Part 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Continued from: Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread as it relates to the OHL) [Part 3]

Posts need to be directly related to the OHL in some way. There are plenty of other places on the internet to talk about COVID in general, how various governments are handling it, how the public is handling it and people are reacting, how vaccine progress is going, what the current COVID numbers are, etc.

We're done with this thread. The posters on this forum have shown absolutely no ability to stay on topic with posts directly related to the OHL whatsoever. If you want to talk about covid on this website, go here:

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Do not pick up this discussion in your individual team's forums.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just saw that the NHL is now looking at mid-January start. Seems that they are pushing things back. Going to be interesting to see how the OHL handles players that go to NHL camps and get cut. Obviously players playing on Cdn teams will not be affected but what happens to players that were drafted by American teams with the border closed

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

It's all nice that the OHL is having another governors meeting on these little issues like the draft, however the draft is a very small part of the OHL game what would be more important is an update on the timeline for the OHL and where they are in there talks with the province on safely returning to play.

I'm not saying the draft isn't important for the OHL but that is something that is a very minimal affect on the outcome of the league. The only true effect it has on the league is in the overage limit and that is something that can be adjusted as needed. For example depending on the number of potential OA's that could be in the league when it gets going they can easily and temporarily make an adjustment to increase the OA age from 20 to say 21 or 22 without a huge problem the only issue with that would be is that it would waterdown the age groups for teams. The reason I bring this up is the draft very much affects the development of teams and further that how teams handle trading draft picks and how many teams could and do need or not on any given year. As for the date of the draft it doesn't make a huge difference in the end result as the draft is solely affected by the the OHL and NHL start and end dates.

We all know that under a normal year that the draft is usually the first weekend in April and this year has been pushed back to accommodate the world situation as it forced the OHL to adjust the start date twice so far. But I believe and think there are bigger issues than the draft IMO like safe travel and testing for one as well as a shopping list of others that have yet to be determined by the OHL and the government.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
It's all nice that the OHL is having another governors meeting on these little issues like the draft, however the draft is a very small part of the OHL game what would be more important is an update on the timeline for the OHL and where they are in there talks with the province on safely returning to play.

I'm not saying the draft isn't important for the OHL but that is something that is a very minimal affect on the outcome of the league. The only true effect it has on the league is in the overage limit and that is something that can be adjusted as needed. For example depending on the number of potential OA's that could be in the league when it gets going they can easily and temporarily make an adjustment to increase the OA age from 20 to say 21 or 22 without a huge problem the only issue with that would be is that it would waterdown the age groups for teams. The reason I bring this up is the draft very much affects the development of teams and further that how teams handle trading draft picks and how many teams could and do need or not on any given year. As for the date of the draft it doesn't make a huge difference in the end result as the draft is solely affected by the the OHL and NHL start and end dates.

We all know that under a normal year that the draft is usually the first weekend in April and this year has been pushed back to accommodate the world situation as it forced the OHL to adjust the start date twice so far. But I believe and think there are bigger issues than the draft IMO like safe travel and testing for one as well as a shopping list of others that have yet to be determined by the OHL and the government.

Can't see the OA being adjusted. You're not having 22 year olds playing against 16 year olds

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

So what you are saying is, you would rather have the board of governors meet to discuss issues that are out of their control at the moment?

Do you honestly believe that they don't already have contingency plans in place if the border doesn't re-open by February?

Reactions: rangersblues

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
So what you are saying is, you would rather have the board of governors meet to discuss issues that are out of their control at the moment?

Do you honestly believe that they don't already have contingency plans in place if the border doesn't re-open by February?

I never said I didn't believe the league didn't have a contingency plan. I said the "draft is very small part in the OHL game." Meaning that in the whole issues of having a season that should be solely based on trying the get the safest possible return for the league that they can and worrying about something that can and was even adjust this past year is something that is a small problem really.

The league probably does have some contingency plans for February 4th but that is something that's sooner than the draft and IMO is more critical to the progression of the league moving forward. The league can essentially throw any date to restart the season and any date to have a draft that follows but it comes down to the simple issue of when the league gets going do you really believe that the owners or governors will be worried about when the league will hold a draft quite simply no they won't thats up to the mangers of these teams to worry about not the governors and the owners certainly won't be worrying about that either they will be worrying about the lost revenue they have to try and salvage in a shortened season.

Otto

I never said I didn't believe the league didn't have a contingency plan. I said the "draft is very small part in the OHL game." Meaning that in the whole issues of having a season that should be solely based on trying the get the safest possible return for the league that they can and worrying about something that can and was even adjust this past year is something that is a small problem really.

The league probably does have some contingency plans for February 4th but that is something that's sooner than the draft and IMO is more critical to the progression of the league moving forward. The league can essentially throw any date to restart the season and any date to have a draft that follows but it comes down to the simple issue of when the league gets going do you really believe that the owners or governors will be worried about when the league will hold a draft quite simply no they won't thats up to the mangers of these teams to worry about not the governors and the owners certainly won't be worrying about that either they will be worrying about the lost revenue they have to try and salvage in a shortened season.

So, you feel that the league has contingency plans... but they should discuss things that they have already discussed anyway and leave the new business to people who wouldn't normally make those decisions

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
So, you feel that the league has contingency plans... but they should discuss things that they have already discussed anyway and leave the new business to people who wouldn't normally make those decisions

What I'm saying is show me a schedule for the whole league for the announced 40 games and how they are going to handle the issues that the Q has had and safety precautions and let the people who are more hands on in that area the GM's who ultimately handle the draft figure out how and what they are going to do about this issue.

I ask you this who makes the selections on draft day the governors or the GM's and their scouting staff??? Cause if it's the governors then why do teams need GM's???

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While the draft is small in comparison to say, the season starting up, it's still a thing to tackle overall. In any normal season, things like Trade Deadline, OHL Draft, CHL Import Draft, various rule adjustments, etc. are all considered newsworthy in their own rights. All we know is the OHL is meeting to discuss several things, including how to conduct the draft and when to do it. They might not even be looking at specific dates, but something like "let's do it the weekend after the Memorial Cup" or "let's wait until the NHL decides their draft and work with them." It doesn't necessarily have to be "okay, we don't when the season will start but the draft will be held on May 5."

Reactions: Otto

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The OHL draft is an issue that has been completely undermined. There's literally thousands of kids and their families who have really heard nothing on how this is going work. Not many are even playing real games. Some closure for them is probably just as important as anything else, they are the future of this league.

Otto

What I'm saying is show me a schedule for the whole league for the announced 40 games and how they are going to handle the issues that the Q has had and safety precautions and let the people who are more hands on in that area the GM's who ultimately handle the draft figure out how and what they are going to do about this issue.

I ask you this who makes the selections on draft day the governors or the GM's and their scouting staff??? Cause if it's the governors then why do teams need GM's???

OK... so now you are saying that the league cannot proceed until they show YOU want they have planned... smh...

And yes, the GM's make decisions for their individual teams.. the BOG makes league wide decisions. Using your logic the players should make the schedule

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
OK... so now you are saying that the league cannot proceed until they show YOU want they have planned... smh...

And yes, the GM's make decisions for their individual teams.. the BOG makes league wide decisions. Using your logic the players should make the schedule

Spin it the way you want but why would the governors make a decision that has nothing to do with them directly is what I'm saying. The OHL van discuss whatever they want but until we have a schedule and season the league has done about as much as they can until they get the green light to play.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think the league has a plan and contingencies for sure. With respect to Covid and the OHL, I would imagine they are set to go under a few different scenario’s:
1> Border Closed. US Based teams will either cross for the season or bow out. The League will devise an appropriate schedule regardless.
2> “Hot Spots” The league will have discussed this at length in light of that being the single most disruptive issue in the QMJHL. The Quebec Government barring play in certain areas because of the Red Zone factor etc. The assumption is those teams will remain off ice for the duration and the other assumption is they won’t be allowed to leave their Health Region to play games; however, this is the one area that would need to be finalized with the Province of Ontario as part of their return to play plan.
3> “Positive Cases” I think it is reasonably guaranteed if any player or coach in the organization tests positive, their operations will be shut down for 14 days and all games involving that team will be cancelled.

I believe you are 100% correct that the league has a map and they will follow it. As we get closer to Feb 4, we will see exactly how the league will uncover their plans and make them more public.

The main issue really is the financial. Will the owners foot the bill for a season or not?

Regardless of all that, the league operations off ice need to continue. The questions surrounding a draft are seriously important. The draft provides their primary pipeline. As such, it is imperative they have one. Who knows what types of things will be discussed to find an equatable solution considering very little hockey will have been played. Also, what if hockey is played into the summer? It is not like the OHL Cup will be played as scheduled. In many cases, that tournament solidifies many scouting reports and helps determine final rankings. A draft in April and an OHL Cup in June would be irresponsible. They won’t come out with a date but I think they may identify certain benchmarks that will be required to be reached prior to having a draft.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The QMJHL “issues” have been way overblown IMO.

The biggest issue for the QMJHL so far has been their approach to colour coding their hot spots and the restrictions that are compiled in those spots.

The OHL has a significant advantage of the QMJHL in so far as where their teams are located compared to current hot spots. The Province of Ontario has high concerns within the GTA. Only one OHL team is located in the GTA, The Steelheads.

Discounting obvious issues with three American based teams, the remaining 16 teams not in the GTA or the USA should all be cleared to play games with no fans. There is some question regarding the “Red Zone” towns but as far as I know only the Grey Zone towns are affected with arenas closed.

So, if the OHL teams can stay relatively clean from a Covid Positive test situation, I think the OHL would have far greater success than the QMJHL in so far as the Province setting own Health Unit zones.

If I were to hazard a guess, players and coaches would require a Covid test upon arrival and a quarantine would be in place until test results were uncovered. Any positive tests would result in the quarantine protocol. Enough time will have been given to allow for a quarantine period prior to the season.

If during the season a player/coach tests positive, the operations are suspended for 14 days. I believe this only affected 4 teams in the QMJHL. Their cancellations and schedule disruption was based on hot zones etc affecting too many games to make it worth while. I don’t see this as big of an issue in the OHL considering their teams are generally outside the major population zone of the GTA where the current issue are focussed.

Otto

Spin it the way you want but why would the governors make a decision that has nothing to do with them directly is what I'm saying. The OHL van discuss whatever they want but until we have a schedule and season the league has done about as much as they can until they get the green light to play.

Again... because the Governors make decisions on league policy... they act on behalf of the owners and their teams. They have plenty to do with it.

And regardless of if there is a season or not there will still be a draft in some form. There will be some sort of 2021/22 season and teams need to fill out their rosters. They need to act on this and plan for it. They are not just going to turn around and say "Oh.. let's draft tomorrow"

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Your comment about the border closure and USA teams bowing out is completely insane. The OHL team has said numerous times that they will make the decision "as one group"...meaning all 20 teams. Do you really think the 70 to 80 kids playing for those teams will just stay home and watch all other 17 teams play. C'mon....you're a bright guy....you're better than that.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I'm sure that Anaheim and Winnipeg would be thrilled to hear that the OHL has decided to play a season without their First Round picks.....LOL !!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Your comment about the border closure and USA teams bowing out is completely insane. The OHL team has said numerous times that they will make the decision "as one group"...meaning all 20 teams. Do you really think the 70 to 80 kids playing for those teams will just stay home and watch all other 17 teams play. C'mon....you're a bright guy....you're better than that.

Hypothetical:
Border is closed

Option One:
-The US Based teams choose to relocate
-The league operates as per Covid precautions and the three US based teams play out of an alternate city/town TBD

Option Two:
-The US Based teams choose not to relocate. The league then has two choices
1> Proceed without the US Based Teams and run as a 17 team league
OR
2> Cancel the season, thus ignoring the welfare of the league and the other 17 teams

To me, this comes down to whether the US based teams choose to relocate. I would imagine it would be their choice as has been the case with other Professional leagues like the ECHL where the Northern Division decided to pull out for the year.

So, yes, the option may still be to operate as a 17 team league. Or 18 or 19 for that matter.

A 3 team US based division may still be possible but there still would be no answer for playoff participation because it is highly unlikely the border situation will change prior and it would behoove the OHL from making irresponsible decisions with this sort of potential consequence without at least some form of reasonable guarantee of cross border travel.

The reality is we don’t know what the US based teams tipping point is. We do know their obvious preference is to not relocate but I see no other alternative at this point.

As an extension to this, the possibility, although very slim, an Ontario based team may decided to not operate. For example, the Steelheads may say that considering their location and all the disruption their Health Unit Region is embroiled in, they choose to not play this season. If nothing significantly changes in that area of the GTA, the Grey Zone restrictions may last for quite some time. This would preclude them from playing anyway. IF they bring the players back and attempt to operate, they would be on the hook for all the compensation etc. I am not sure that is viable. We could see something like this happen in isolated examples as we approach Feb 4.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Branch: "Welcome to the meeting, let's discuss how a season happens if there's a season"

All 20 GM's at once, "it's not up to us, it all relies on the government"

*Meeting adjourned*

Government states ohl non essential.
Meeting closed.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The QMJHL “issues” have been way overblown IMO.

The biggest issue for the QMJHL so far has been their approach to colour coding their hot spots and the restrictions that are compiled in those spots.

The OHL has a significant advantage of the QMJHL in so far as where their teams are located compared to current hot spots. The Province of Ontario has high concerns within the GTA. Only one OHL team is located in the GTA, The Steelheads.

Discounting obvious issues with three American based teams, the remaining 16 teams not in the GTA or the USA should all be cleared to play games with no fans. There is some question regarding the “Red Zone” towns but as far as I know only the Grey Zone towns are affected with arenas closed.

So, if the OHL teams can stay relatively clean from a Covid Positive test situation, I think the OHL would have far greater success than the QMJHL in so far as the Province setting own Health Unit zones.

If I were to hazard a guess, players and coaches would require a Covid test upon arrival and a quarantine would be in place until test results were uncovered. Any positive tests would result in the quarantine protocol. Enough time will have been given to allow for a quarantine period prior to the season.

If during the season a player/coach tests positive, the operations are suspended for 14 days. I believe this only affected 4 teams in the QMJHL. Their cancellations and schedule disruption was based on hot zones etc affecting too many games to make it worth while. I don’t see this as big of an issue in the OHL considering their teams are generally outside the major population zone of the GTA where the current issue are focussed.

More grey areas might pop up more than gta area which would prevent more hockey fir season.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

So if the border still closed what do the 3 American teams do?
They force a cancelation of a season?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm sure that Anaheim and Winnipeg would be thrilled to hear that the OHL has decided to play a season without their First Round picks.....LOL !!

This is a situation thst never happened.
Might not play out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad