Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread as it relates to the OHL) [Part 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
From April through July, Ontario flattened the curve had got case numbers into the double digits. How? Masks, social distancing, and listening to health officials (for the most part). Stateside, they ripped into the docs, opened up, and the numbers skyrocketed. While I'm sure Joe50305693 on Twitter or BeaverPatriot on Facebook have some killer medical advice, I'm sticking to what worked during the Spring.
Fantastic - "killer medical advice". :wg:

Reactions: OHLTG and Otto

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

"She says it's not just team play during practices, but the social events that take place both before and after, such as carpooling or after-practice meals and drinks."

Interesting, I never would have guessed...

Maybe I am just a skeptic, but why are we only hearing about spread on adult teams when there are all these youth teams playing? I know the youth teams aren't going to the frat house for beers after practice...

Has anyone confirmed the spread is in fact happening on the ice?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
From April through July, Ontario flattened the curve had got case numbers into the double digits. How? Masks, social distancing, and listening to health officials (for the most part). Stateside, they ripped into the docs, opened up, and the numbers skyrocketed. While I'm sure Joe50305693 on Twitter or BeaverPatriot on Facebook have some killer medical advice, I'm sticking to what worked during the Spring.

Actually, masks weren’t mandatory until July. The “curve” flattened without them.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I didn't say they were "mandatory", but they were highly recommended and people were using them well before July. You combine masks, social distancing, hand washing, and listening to medical officials, and you've got a flattened curve. None of this was tough in the past, why is it all of a sudden now?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I didn't say they were "mandatory", but they were highly recommended and people were using them well before July. You combine masks, social distancing, hand washing, and listening to medical officials, and you've got a flattened curve. None of this was tough in the past, why is it all of a sudden now?

I guess we have a differing opinion.

From my perspective, people were distanced because many didn’t wear masks. Then people started wearing masks after it was mandated and two things happened:
1> People started to get a lot closer to each other
2> Stores got a heck of a lot more packed. I can’t remember the last time I had to wait to get into a store.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

From my perspective, people were distanced because many didn’t wear masks. Then people started wearing masks after it was mandated and two things happened:
2> Stores got a heck of a lot more packed. I can’t remember the last time I had to wait to get into a store.

And how is Ottawa doing?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

You know what else happened at the same time as the mask mandate? Stage 3 of the reopening which included private indoor gatherings, and eating indoors in restaurants among other things. Those are two activities which have generated significant, documented spread (masks weren't worn during those activities when the spread was documented).

Were people more distanced before the mask mandate? You betcha, but it was because many of the activities requiring close contact were still restricted. Does wearing masks result in closer contact? You betcha, because it allowed other activities to resume that aren't safe without them. But I don't worry about someone wearing a mask leaning in to snag an item off a shelf at a grocery store. The viral load just isn't enough to transmit in that scenario.

The CDC also just changed it's guidance on "close contacts".

The updated guidance changes the definition of a "close contact" of a Covid-19 case to a person who has been within 6 feet of an infected person for a total of at least 15 minutes in a day. That includes multiple, but brief, encounters, one or two minutes at a time.

Previously, a close contact was defined as spending 15 consecutive minutes with a Covid-19 patient.

CDC changes guidance on close contacts, emphasizes importance of wearing mask

The science is clear that masks work when distancing is not possible. This argument that the mask mandate somehow makes us less safe is unfounded. Masks allow more of the economy to reopen safely. People should wear them, even in their own houses when having private gatherings. We would all be safer for it.

Reactions: Otto

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

All through this we have cases spiking in certain areas where masks are mandatory. At the very least we should be able to agree when people said masks were the 3rd or 4th most valuable suggestion to combat covid they were right. I will wear the mask but I don't believe for a moment it will prevent me from getting covid if that was the case Toronto/Peel/Ottawa/York would still be fine and dandy.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
BREAKING: Rapid testing at airports to replace mandatory quarantine for international travellers | Toronto Sun

Its just for air at the moment.

1. its probably way more effective then allowing people to self isolate and self police,
2. if it proves effective, may pave a way for the border to open in a controlled way.

I don't think it'll be quick enough for the OHL and they should simply have all 20 teams focused in Ontario to start, but at least its a small pathway to a smart, controlled border open.

Reactions: HockeyPops

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
This is huge news. If this can be proven effective and be implemented on the ground for border crossing, we might be able to see the American teams be able to cross at some point in the season. Probably not until the back half, if not the playoffs. But it’s a start and if all goes well, probably gets rid of a potential playoff bubble.

Reactions: ohloutsider

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
This is huge news. If this can be proven effective and be implemented on the ground for border crossing, we might be able to see the American teams be able to cross at some point in the season. Probably not until the back half, if not the playoffs. But it’s a start and if all goes well, probably gets rid of a potential playoff bubble.

Its refreshing to see everyone trying to work through problems and find solutions that allow us to function as a society, yet also stay safe as opposed to hard lock down style of mentality as opposed to a hard lockdown mentality. Lets hope there's more to come.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm on the side of "do what got you healthy in the first place." That was masks when suggested/requested, keeping your distance, washing your hands, and listening to actual medical advice. If others want to listen to randoms on social media or YouTube who swear docs are lying, then so be it. We just have zero room to complain when restrictions tighten.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm on the side of "do what got you healthy in the first place." That was masks when suggested/requested, keeping your distance, washing your hands, and listening to actual medical advice. If others want to listen to randoms on social media or YouTube who swear docs are lying, then so be it. We just have zero room to complain when restrictions tighten.

If restrictions happen. So be it.
Cases r still very high.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Drummondville Voltigeurs in the Q have suspended their team activities after recording a positive COVID-19 test among the players.

The process of testing all of the players/staff and contact tracing will begin soon.
Voltigeurs Suspend Activities

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
Alberta to host rapid COVID-19 testing pilot of international travellers

The program will start in early November at the Coutts border crossing and at the Calgary airport as a test run before being expanded across the country.

COVID-19 in Canada: Alberta launches pilot program to reduce quarantine requirement for travellers while Ontario ponders similar test

Ontario Premier Doug Ford responded to Alberta piloting a new program to reduce the quarantine requirement for travellers returning to the province by adding a voluntary testing option upon arrival.

Ford said he’s keeping a “sharp eye” on what happens with the program, adding that he would be “open” to implementing something similar in Ontario, depending on Alberta’s results.

“Toronto is much different than Calgary,” the premier said. “It doesn’t get the volume, number one, but [also] doesn’t get the diversification around the world.”

Ford added that he believes travellers should be tested “as soon as they get off that plane.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad