Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread) [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Sheesh — the Q issued the official statement I linked about the positive Blanville-Boisbriand Armada player test just a few hours after they issued an angry statement about the government’s shutdown of team sports in red zone spots, including Blanville-Boisbriand. The league wrote, in reference to its virus control protocols, “The League would like to congratulate the players and team staffs for its flawless execution.” That did NOT age well.
QMJHL Reacts to Quebec Government Announcement

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sheesh — the Q issued the official statement I linked about the positive Blanville-Boisbriand Armada player test just a few hours after they issued an angry statement about the government’s shutdown of team sports in red zone spots, including Blanville-Boisbriand. The league wrote, in reference to its virus control protocols, “The League would like to congratulate the players and team staffs for its flawless execution.” That did NOT age well.
QMJHL Reacts to Quebec Government Announcement

I guess it depends on how you interpret that.

Just because a player tests positive, if doesn't mean the player got it playing hockey. In fact, if the player that tested positve doesn't spread it within the league, you could suggest the protocols work fantastic!

We don't know what the domino effect will be but it is too early to admonish the league.

The leagues are not in a bubble so there will be some level of positive tests for sure. The leagues will be judged or should be judged more so on containment.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Just because a player tests positive, if doesn't mean the player got it playing hockey. In fact, if the player that tested positve doesn't spread it within the league, you could suggest the protocols work fantastic!

We don't know what the domino effect will be but it is too early to admonish the league.

The leagues are not in a bubble so there will be some level of positive tests for sure. The leagues will be judged or should be judged more so on containment.

Similar to Baseball when they started off with positive tests, but for the most part all those players who tested positive where identified and isolated, and i believe other then 1 player, came back and played. Towards the end of the regular season i believe that positive tests where fairly rare.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

The league issued a press release this morning just dripping righteous indignation because the rules of the province applied to them. Do the teams play in bubbles? I think not, and you think not, but the league’s statement claims they do: “Over the course of the next few days, we will share with Quebec Public Health Officials additional measures which will render the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada's and Quebec Remparts' bubbles even more secure.” Their word, bubbles.

My only real point here is that it’s rarely a good idea to raise a public stink and disingenuously cast yourself as a victim of a government directive impacting several million red zone residents in the province, a province that cut you a $20 million cheque just 7 days ago. It’s an especially bad idea when just hours later you’ve got to walk it all back because your “bubble” didn’t hold. It’s utterly amateurish.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The league issued a press release this morning just dripping righteous indignation because the rules of the province applied to them. Do the teams play in bubbles? I think not, and you think not, but the league’s statement claims they do: “Over the course of the next few days, we will share with Quebec Public Health Officials additional measures which will render the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada's and Quebec Remparts' bubbles even more secure.” Their word, bubbles.

My only real point here is that it’s rarely a good idea to raise a public stink and disingenuously cast yourself as a victim of a government directive impacting several million red zone residents in the province, a province that cut you a $20 million cheque just 7 days ago. It’s an especially bad idea when just hours later you’ve got to walk it all back because your “bubble” didn’t hold. It’s utterly amateurish.

I disagree.

If the QMJHL submitted a return to play plan and the Province accepted that plan, I don’t think the Province should be selectively restricting the teams from playing regardless of the current situation unless that was made abundantly clear as part of their acceptance for the league playing. As far as I am aware, the member teams were not advised they may be selectively shut down based on whether their team resides in a “red zone.”

I see this as changing the rules for no clear reason, especially considering everyone knew we would see hot spots surface.

The QMJHL does have a bubble of sorts but it is far from infallible. Just because there are inherent gaps doesn’t mean they dropped the ball either.

I think it is far too soon to make rash judgements. I know MLB had loads of issues the first week or two and then everything tightened up a lot and they were able to finish their season and have had a successful playoff so far.

With respect to the indignation, I would agree. I think it could have and most certainly should have been handled far more diplomatically. That said, why would a Province dole out $20mil and then shut the league down? I know governments like to burn money like a drunken sailor at port but they have to allow the league to find their way otherwise why give them money to operate?

Reactions: Mata

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
We can agree to disagree.

Surely to God the leaders of the Q knew full well that any Covid-related red zone provincial legislation would apply to them the same way it applies to absolutely everyone else.

Good luck finding any support from members of the Quebec legislature to extend a red zone exemption to an amateur hockey league where over 40% of the players are legally minors.

In my view, the league played this wrong, wrong, wrong. And now they have a player who tested positive for the virus, a boatload of people have to be tested (presumably billet families too) and they’ve already tossed away whatever fragile goodwill they had with the province and are going to be seen as ungrateful scoundrels moving forward.

God help that league if they need something in another month or six. Politicians have long memories. The government cut a $20 million dollar cheque for 12 teams to cover their expenses, and then they get attacked in the press?

Reactions: Tarantula

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Cancel the season

A positive test through a whole is something that can be spun two different ways. Is it one player or a whole team(s) that's something that isn't told. From the article it sounds like one player out of a whole league, one player is amazing on the limit of community spread.

Knowing that the Canadian health sector believed that as we get closer to the cold and flu season that illness gets spread around isn't a shock to see the Q have positive tests ? I believe that if it was a whole team then I think that would be a bigger concern but in no way in any part of the article says how many of the either teams just that there was a single positive test.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
A positive test through a whole is something that can be spun two different ways. Is it one player or a whole team(s) that's something that isn't told. From the article it sounds like one player out of a whole league, one player is amazing on the limit of community spread.

Knowing that the Canadian health sector believed that as we get closer to the cold and flu season that illness gets spread around isn't a shock to see the Q have positive tests ? I believe that if it was a whole team then I think that would be a bigger concern but in no way in any part of the article says how many of the either teams just that there was a single positive test.

1 player. The team and the team they most recently played are all isolating

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
1 player. The team and the team they most recently played are all isolating

Exactly my point not like the whole league contracted the virus at once it was one player out of the whole league and both teams are taking the necessary steps to protect themselves that's the key thing with this whole thing it's not like it was half the QMJHL was infected.

Let's all calm down and see what happens between now and the expected start date on December 1st before we all start panicking over 1 case. There's been more cases south of the border then the whole province of Quebec through this whole thing not that we should all turn our backs on this but let's use common sense and think through this on a simple basis it was 1 player not the whole team.

Reactions: Mata

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
Exactly my point not like the whole league contracted the virus at once it was one player out of the whole league and both teams are taking the necessary steps to protect themselves that's the key thing with this whole thing it's not like it was half the QMJHL was infected.

Let's all calm down and see what happens between now and the expected start date on December 1st before we all start panicking over 1 case. There's been more cases south of the border then the whole province of Quebec through this whole thing not that we should all turn our backs on this but let's use common sense and think through this on a simple basis it was 1 player not the whole team.

Try substituting "league" with the word "world" for your whole post and see how it reads.

It all started with one person.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Well..... COVID-19 outbreak hits Armada – LHJMQ

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This virus is going to be around for a long time, even with a vaccine. Is the CHL expected to close up shop the next 5 years?

Apparently, yes. Along with all other non-essential businesses.

But, the good news is I was at Ikea this week and it was jam packed. So we've got that going for us....

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would love to see an investigation in how they got it. They played back to back games so maybe being on a bus but for that team to be infected and we haven't heard much from Sherbrooke who was the opponent both nights... I mean there was a 30 teenager house party the police broke up in my area, nobody fined or anything but you would think all of them indoors that would be a petri dish as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad