• Sprong Daniel

• none of them

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Didn’t Panik say earlier this year that he’s more comfortable at LW? For the bottom six, I would go:

Panik/Eller/Sprong (or McMichael)
Hagelin/Dowd/Hathaway

Hagelin is a great energy guy with good speed and does a helluva job on the PK, but he’s borderline 3rd line guy now IMO—I know they had similar numbers this year but I think Panik has more goalscoring ability at this point in their respective careers. Plus, Panik and Eller would really help mask the defensive shortcomings of Sprong (and possibly McMichael as he acclimates to the NHL) at the RW spot. Lastly, a Hagelin/Dowd/Hathaway fourth line would be a real pain in the ass for other teams.
Panik has been abysmal since the bubble started. Hence why the coaching staff hasn’t played him much...at all. I’m not sold he is on the third line next year, salary be damned. I don’t think the Caps current coaching staff is too high on him IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Panik has been abysmal since the bubble started. Hence why the coaching staff hasn’t played him much...at all. I’m not sold he is on the third line next year, salary be damned. I don’t think the Caps current coaching staff is too high on him IMO.

I still have hope for Panik. Every forward except for Oshie that we’ve acquired has struggled offensively their first year for whatever reason and he looked really good pre-Covid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still have hope for Panik. Every forward except for Oshie that we’ve acquired has struggled offensively their first year for whatever reason and he looked really good pre-Covid.

A lot of players struggle with a new team. Its common. My question is how much of Panik's success is chem with Dowd?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Whether the linemates are Hagelin-Eller or Panik-Eller or even some sort of combination of Backstrom/Boyd/Dowd/Hathaway/whoever sprinkled in, that 3rd line needs a pure goal scorer, someone that get the puck and actually finish. We thought we had that with Kovalchuk... but nope.

No more of this 3rd line is a checking line bullshit.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Whether the linemates are Hagelin-Eller or Panik-Eller or even some sort of combination of Backstrom/Boyd/Dowd/Hathaway/whoever sprinkled in, that 3rd line needs a pure goal scorer, someone that get the puck and actually finish. We thought we had that with Kovalchuk... but nope.

No more of this 3rd line is a checking line bullshit.

I think that having a pure goal scorer on your 3rd line is both a luxury and a rarity. The Caps have had Connolly, Vrana and Burakovsky in that spot. They couldnt afford to keep but one and are paying him legit top 6 money. Unless the Caps can find another legit top 6 winger on an ELC or second contract, they arent going to find a legit 20 goal scorer they can fit under the cap.

Sprong is their only real shot for a Connolly like deal. My guess is that the 3rd line will be Hagelin Eller Panik with hopes that Panik can score 15.

Kovalchuk was a pipe dream

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I think that having a pure goal scorer on your 3rd line is both a luxury and a rarity. The Caps have had Connolly, Vrana and Burakovsky in that spot. They couldnt afford to keep but one and are paying him legit top 6 money. Unless the Caps can find another legit top 6 winger on an ELC or second contract, they arent going to find a legit 20 goal scorer they can fit under the cap.

Sprong is their only real shot for a Connolly like deal. My guess is that the 3rd line will be Hagelin Eller Panik with hopes that Panik can score 15.

Kovalchuk was a pipe dream

Doesn't have to be a 20 goal scorer. Cup year Connolly I think had somewhere like 25 points total on the season. Just need a threat. We had that with Burakovsky (inconsistent) and Connolly (still finding his game). Hagelin, Eller, Kovalchuk aren't scaring anyone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Doesn't have to be a 20 goal scorer. Cup year Connolly I think had somewhere like 25 points total on the season. Just need a threat. Hagelin, Eller, Kovalchuk aren't scaring anyone.

Brett Connolly had 15 goals in 70 games that season. Which is what the Caps need from Panik

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Brett Connolly had 15 goals in 70 games that season. Which is what the Caps need from Panik

We also had Burakovsky, as inconsistent as he was. But at least he was a threat to score.

edit: And I agree with your sentiment that Sprong is our only legitimate answer at a Connolly type player.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We also had Burakovsky, as inconsistent as he was. But at least he was a threat to score.

edit: And I agree with your sentiment that Sprong is our only legitimate answer at a Connolly type player.

Yes, I think I mentioned that they had Connolly, Vrana and Burakovsky in that spot. I think Panik will work out

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Yes, I think I mentioned that they had Connolly, Vrana and Burakovsky in that spot. I think Panik will work out
The only difference I see is hunger. Burakovsky and Vrana were young players who hadn’t yet proven themselves, beyond flashes of talent, while Connolly was coming in with a lot to prove and little to show for it. They hired Panik specifically because they thought he was a proven two-way guy. He always comes across as calm and at ease, despite not getting on the board for long period of time. Doesn’t seem comparable.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only difference I see is hunger. Burakovsky and Vrana were young players who hadn’t yet proven themselves, beyond flashes of talent, while Connolly was coming in with a lot to prove and little to show for it. They hired Panik specifically because they thought he was a proven two-way guy. He always comes across as calm and at ease, despite not getting on the board for long period of time. Doesn’t seem comparable.

Hunger. Maybe. The two kids overmatched 3rd line oppo with their skill level. Connolly was a home run on a dumpster dive. Something you cant expect to repeat. If CMM is ready to play, he might be similar to Burt or Vrana, but lets remember that Burt and Vrana to an extent were wildly inconsistant. 25 game goalless streaks and so forth.

Reactions: HecticGlow

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Hunger. Maybe. The two kids overmatched 3rd line oppo with their skill level. Connolly was a home run on a dumpster dive. Something you cant expect to repeat. If CMM is ready to play, he might be similar to Burt or Vrana, but lets remember that Burt and Vrana to an extent were wildly inconsistant. 25 game goalless streaks and so forth.
I'm not for a moment suggesting they weren't inconsistent, or that next year's third liners might not be either. Just that I wonder if Panik does just need time to settle down, as Eller did, or if there just isn't a fire burning under him in a way the team badly needs.

Reactions: txpd

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I also believe Panik can do much better than this season. There have been so many Caps player under performing in the Reirden-years, while everyone going elsewhere have excelled. Its more likely coaching change can get some guys back on track, and Panik can definately be that guy.

For the same reason I favour bringing Kovalchuk back, and moving Panik for whatever to make cap space for Kovy. Kovalchuk is Still the ultimate low risk high reward guy. The kind of guy that even when he is not playing that great everyone is rooting for him to success and brings leadership. And if he can get hot at the right time..

If Kovy doesnt work out its easy to get rid of him closer at TDL and try to look replacement via trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->