Next Rookie to get to 100 pts?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Likely don’t know his name yet, but man people are close minded. When Benn won the Art Ross 5 short seasons ago with 87 points. all it took was 4 seasons until a player won with 128 points and it could happen again this season.

Rest assured, there will be another rookie someday who passes Ovechkin and Crosby in points as a rookie and maybe even Selanne’s 132 points.

Things can change so fast and scoring is trending upwards and hopefully will continue to do so. Maybe by the end of the 2020s, we’ll be entering another golden age like the 80s in terms of goal scoring numbers being up.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Matvei Michkov
2023, Michkov and Bedard will be the new Crosby/Ovie. Remember where y'all saw it first.

On a serious note, its not impossible. I mean Barzal got 85. So a supertalent on a Doug Weight run team?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With the draft lottery the way it is and the amount of parity in the league, there's a chance that a decent team will get a really good rookie.

Like, imagine if the Oilers don't get to the playoffs and magically bump up to the top 5 and they take a forward who gets slotted with Drai and McDavid and stays healthy the entire year. Entirely possible.

Under the more traditional mindset that the worse teams tend to get the best players, I would say not anytime soon...not until another generational talent comes around like Sid, Geno, Ovie, McDavid, etc.

Reactions: LeHab

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Scoring is up last few years. Could be as soon as Lafreniere.

Hughes didn't have a ton of hype, Kakko neither. I think McDavid could have hit it in today's league vs his rookie year, barring injury.

To me Lafreniere is one of the most hyped prospects after McDavid since the lockout.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not until another McDavid level prospect comes along or another Barzal type that developed post draft and came into a good situation.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Crosby did it.....at 18 years old.....

The next one who will do it at 18....is not born yet.

Before Crosby.....Dale Hawerchuk did it and Lemieux

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Crosby did it.....at 18 years old.....

The next one who will do it at 18....is not born yet.

Before Crosby.....Dale Hawerchuk did it and Lemieux

2 things need to happen.

Insanely talented player.
Scoring needs to shoot up so there are several 100 point players.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lafreniere could do it I think, he’s an extremely smart player and is both a playmaker and goal scorer, that versatility will help him if his linemates end up being trash.

I would guess there is a 90%+ chance he doesnt. Regardless of how talented he is. The best players in the world have a hard time hitting 100 points in this league, let alone a rookie.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Sid and Ovi were the last to reach that. Since then no one has reached it. Hughes and Kakko are at 20 pts and they were super super hyped. Think of how bad those stats are relative to Sid and Ovi. 100+ vs 20 pts. Season isn't over and they might reach 30 but what a huge difference and there was enormous hype for both Hughes and Kakko. Not just them but Matthews was hyped and didn't reach PPG despite 4 goal start. McDavid got injured as a rookie so we never got to see what he could or couldn't do, and he ended up pacing for about 87 pts.

So the question is, who is the next rookie that will reach 100 in year 1?

I think the next one will be in about 5 or 6 years when the Pens decide for a rebuild the year before and get top pick in the draft.:naughty:

Worked with Lemieux and again with Crosby. Although Crosby was the luck of the ping pong ball.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'd say that someone from the 2022 draft class is most likely in the near future. Lafreniere? I'm not really seeing him as someone who can score 100 points as a 18-year-old, although it might be possible. If not someone from 2022, then perhaps 2024.

Michkov is 2023...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How good is Muchov Looking in comparison to past Russian Prespects? His stat line looks insane

He’s definitely really good. Whether he’s a generational level player or only a guy who’ll be a star NHL winger is still to be determined. I figure when you are so good and are playing such low level competition, either level of player will do to put up incredible numbers.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s definitely really good. Whether he’s a generational level player or only a guy who’ll be a star NHL winger is still to be determined. I figure when you are so good and are playing such low level competition, either level of player will do to put up incredible numbers.
Yeah, he has something like 78 points in 18 games and is average a hat-trick a game, which is quite impressive. I was just interested to hear how he compared to Ivan Miroshnichenko, because that’s another guy that I’ve heard people throw the “could be generational” label at.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, he has something like 78 points in 18 games and is average a hat-trick a game, which is quite impressive. I was just interested to hear how he compared to Ivan Miroshnichenko, because that’s another guy that I’ve heard people throw the “could be generational” label at.

I was very impressed by Miroshnichenko. Looks like what people expected Wahlstrom to be when he was getting top 5 hype from some for the 2018 draft. I think most prefer Michkov and he may end up better, but I think it’s a lot closer than most would think. Admittedly, limited viewings, but that was my opinion.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Are Ovechkin or Kuznetsov's U16 results available to compare?

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Probably some 22-25 year old Russian who has already destroyed the KHL for 3 or 4 but didn't come over to NA for whatever reason.

No 18 or 19 year old rookie will do it in the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->