Next Rookie to get to 100 pts?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'd say that someone from the 2022 draft class is most likely in the near future. Lafreniere? I'm not really seeing him as someone who can score 100 points as a 18-year-old, although it might be possible. If not someone from 2022, then perhaps 2024.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
It would take a Crosby/McDavid kind of talent.

McDavid might have done it.. 52 points in 37 games isn't exactly out of reach if you take for granted that he would have gotten better as the season went on (assuming he never gets injured).

Also, Lafrenière is not scoring 100 points next year.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think if an already strong offensive team gets lucky and wins the lottery in a strong year (Lafreniere, Byfield, Wright, etc.) that would be the best chance.

An example off the top of my head would be like Lafreniere playing with Barkov and Huberdeau next year.

Reactions: tuozzi

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
Cole Haworth born on october 14th 2037 in Brampton Ontario will get 121pts as a rookie for the NHL Whitehorse Blizzards in 2055-56

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Sid/Ovi were a perfect storm that year. Generational prospects, a lot of players getting accustomed to new rules + some taking time off during the lockout, scoring way up, and PP opportunities off the charts (which really helps the star players). Ovechkin had 52 PP points that year and Crosby had 47. Both of those are higher totals than any player (rookie or veteran) since 2007/08, except for Kucherov last year who had 48.

Even though scoring is creeping up closer to what it was in 2005/06, a lot still has to go right. 85 is the best rookie season since 2005/06, which was done by both Malkin and Barzal. McDavid was the only other one over a point per game, and even someone as talented as him was only on pace for 87 points over a full season.
Crosby had 61 PP points in 07 I believe, which is the most, though I guess that is including 06-07

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Maybe if a generational talent goes off to KHL for 2 seasons, and breaks in at 20.

Or maybe if Lafreniere does the Lindros impression for a couple of years, declines to play for Detroit and stays in the juniors for 2 more years / goes off to Europe to develop.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Lafreniere could do it I think, he’s an extremely smart player and is both a playmaker and goal scorer, that versatility will help him if his linemates end up being trash.

Love Lafreniere and think he has 90-100 potential in his prime but he has no chance at 100 next Season. 70 points would be absolutely fantastic but I think 55-65 is more reasonable.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lafreniere could do it I think, he’s an extremely smart player and is both a playmaker and goal scorer, that versatility will help him if his linemates end up being trash.

Not very likely in an NHL were at most 6 or 7 guys even break the 100 point mark in any season.

I mean it could happen with a freak perfect storm but that's extremely unlikely gvne the state of the game in today's NHL.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Mcdavid probably wouldn't of even done it healthy so I'd imagine it will be a long time. Sid and Ovi did it in years when scoring was absolutely insane due to pps

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'd give Laf a decent chance but it also depends on the landing spot. Most likely not though.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's very tough to do at 18. Only three guys in history have done it: Crosby, Hawerchuk and Gretzky. Remember that Ovechkin was the oldest guy in the draft and then waited an additional year on top of that because of the lockout. Then only scored 106 and 92 in his first two seasons, respectively at a time when PPs were crazy.

Crosby doing it as a true rookie is an extraordinary feat and he's the best player in 20 years but he also wouldn't have done it without all the PPs that year.

Basically anyone who isn't Gretzky and is a 1st overall pick and comes into the NHL right away has no chance. Even Mario just barely hit 100 and he was also one of the oldest guys in the draft and was 19 when the season started and it was a high-scoring era.

I think the next time it happens is more-likely to be someone like Panarin who is older as a rookie and lands in the perfect spot. He had 77. Or a guy like Selanne who was 22.

Reactions: tuozzi and MadLuke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->