Next Rookie to get to 100 pts?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Sid and Ovi were the last to reach that. Since then no one has reached it. Hughes and Kakko are at 20 pts and they were super super hyped. Think of how bad those stats are relative to Sid and Ovi. 100+ vs 20 pts. Season isn't over and they might reach 30 but what a huge difference and there was enormous hype for both Hughes and Kakko. Not just them but Matthews was hyped and didn't reach PPG despite 4 goal start. McDavid got injured as a rookie so we never got to see what he could or couldn't do, and he ended up pacing for about 87 pts.

So the question is, who is the next rookie that will reach 100 in year 1?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
never again because that would ruin Sid's legacy and we can't have that can we

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
lol at Hughes and Kakko were super super hyped. Just because they were the consensus 1-2 doesn't mean they were super hyped. They had nowhere near the hype that guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, or even Tavares had pre draft.
Kakko was overly over hyped by a lot of Finns to a point that we really thought he was better than rookie Laine

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
would have to be a guy who is 24-25 outta the KHL or college.

can't see a 18-19 year old topping 100 points, unless its a McDavid

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I could see it happening in the near future. Scoring is at a pretty high level, we're seeing a good number of 100 point players so it's not like a rookie need to come in and lead the league in scoring to get 100.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Sid/Ovi were a perfect storm that year. Generational prospects, a lot of players getting accustomed to new rules + some taking time off during the lockout, scoring way up, and PP opportunities off the charts (which really helps the star players). Ovechkin had 52 PP points that year and Crosby had 47. Both of those are higher totals than any player (rookie or veteran) since 2007/08, except for Kucherov last year who had 48.

Even though scoring is creeping up closer to what it was in 2005/06, a lot still has to go right. 85 is the best rookie season since 2005/06, which was done by both Malkin and Barzal. McDavid was the only other one over a point per game, and even someone as talented as him was only on pace for 87 points over a full season.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Lafreniere could do it I think, he’s an extremely smart player and is both a playmaker and goal scorer, that versatility will help him if his linemates end up being trash.

Lafreniere looks good but hes not anywhere near a 100 point rookie player. I think him getting 60 would be an amazing feat.

I think they were at the same level of Matthews/Laine combo but are a lot worse than both of them.

Hughes and Kakko werent anywhere near as hyped as Matthew's and Laine, and in 5 years they still won't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad