Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No. The organization is being tight-lipped about it, as they should be. We have the non-answer from GMJG earlier in the month and that's about it. That, and just general assumptions he'll be gone since this year was mostly a **** show.

I have my doubts.
I also have my doubts, which is why I was curious if I had missed some report about it.

I figured the reason they brought in Ruff was that if the team floundered, they could fire AV and have someone with experience behind the bench. They never did that, though. And I get that we're now basically playing out the string and the coach doesn't matter for much, but still. Just the way the season went down, it makes me feel like they're gonna give him another year. Hope to god I'm wrong.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I also have my doubts, which is why I was curious if I had missed some report about it.

I figured the reason they brought in Ruff was that if the team floundered, they could fire AV and have someone with experience behind the bench. They never did that, though. And I get that we're now basically playing out the string and the coach doesn't matter for much, but still. Just the way the season went down, it makes me feel like they're gonna give him another year. Hope to god I'm wrong.
Feel exactly the same way.

The "excuses" are ripe for the making. This was an injury plagued year. They may give AV October to see what is actually happening. It wouldn't surprise me.

Guy should've been fired two years ago, so I'm not holding my breath, ya know?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
No. The organization is being tight-lipped about it, as they should be. We have the non-answer from GMJG earlier in the month and that's about it. That, and just general assumptions he'll be gone since this year was mostly a **** show.

I have my doubts.
I can't see them bringing him back. JG would not comment on his job security, that alone speaks volumes, then you throw in the Hank factor where Hank wouldn't comment on AV, McKenzie and Brooks both said AV was not on board with the rebuild and Jeff's philosophy. Then you throw in the rebuild, the kids, the fan pressure ... I mean I cannot paint a scenario he returns.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
https://nypost.com/2018/03/26/why-the-rangers-would-fire-alain-vigneault/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

The adage in sports is that you can’t change all the players, so you change the coach, instead. Except that management has already changed nearly all the players over the last two years, with another couple likely on the move this summer. Indeed, only seven guys — Henrik Lundqvist, Staal, Skjei, Chris Kreider, Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello and Jesper Fast — who played in the 2016 first-round defeat to the Penguins remain on the roster.

But the more things have changed in the personnel department, the more they have stayed the same in the defensive zone even as the Rangers have had three different assistant coaches running the blue line — first Ulf Samuelsson, then Jeff Beukeboom and now Lindy Ruff — over the last three seasons.

Over the last three seasons, with and without Derek Stepan, with and without Derick Brassard, with and without Girardi and McDonagh and with and without Yandle and Dylan McIlrath, the Rangers have allowed the third most five-on-five attempts against and the third-most shots against; have the third-worst attempts percentage; and, the second-poorest xGA, according to the numbers on corsica.hockey.

Perhaps more damning, even in acknowledging that subjectivity can be applied to defining “high-danger chances,” the Rangers have allowed more of them than every other team in the league over the last three years, according to naturalstattrick.com. These numbers merely confirm the eye test.
Fantastic post with stats to back up what I have been saying for so long.

Plenty of reason to fire this idiot other than just for his personal personnel decisions that are all-time moronic.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Oh, you mean the stats we've been screaming about for over two seasons now?

Welcome to the dark side, friend.
Yeah I’ll let you guys handle the interpretations of them. I still have not had the time to become acclimated with what they all mean or how to read the charts. Probably simple, but you guys do a good job of that.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Fantastic post with stats to back up what I have been saying for so long.

Plenty of reason to fire this idiot other than just for his personal personnel decisions that are all-time moronic.
A lot of people like to talk crap on these "advanced" stats mostly because they don't understand them, when you start to understand the implication of the stats and how they were constructed through each variable, things make a ton of sense. No stat is perfect, and no stat is the end all be all, but it's another tool in your belt to help make an accurate assessment without bias thinking. I myself had no clue what half these stats were until I started researching them and do my own digging and sure at first it was a lot to digest, but there's definitely a good correlation to some of these advanced metrics and dominance of play. Sure they don't predict the outcome but they do give you a clear predictability of who dominates the puck and the play.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah I’ll let you guys handle the interpretations of them. I still have not had the time to become acclimated with what they all mean or how to read the charts. Probably simple, but you guys do a good job of that.
I am definitely working on better ways to communicate their effectiveness. It's a major gap that needs to be bridged.

Happy to field any and all questions in the advanced stats thread.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It's actually not simple at all. I admit it. I still have trouble with it sometimes, but a lot of the correlations do match a lot of "eye" tests I have had. The team that controls the puck more, has more zone time, better quality shots, and more pucks to the net (no matter how they are calculated) tend to dominate the game and have a better chance of winning. Sure a hot goalie can steal a few games, but over the course of a season when you dominate the puck you dominate games.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I am definitely working on better ways to communicate their effectiveness. It's a major gap that needs to be bridged.

Happy to field any and all questions in the advanced stats thread.
The problem a lot of people have w/ the advanced stats is not the trust in them but the language it's displayed in. If it's more user friendly and palatable, it's easier to comprehend and discuss. It's like trying to speak fluent Spanish to someone who took a year or so of it in HS.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Feel exactly the same way.

The "excuses" are ripe for the making. This was an injury plagued year. They may give AV October to see what is actually happening. It wouldn't surprise me.

Guy should've been fired two years ago, so I'm not holding my breath, ya know?

I have my doubts as well, because if we didn't fire him after Ottawa in '17, where do we draw the line?

Hopefully, we draw the line at f***ing with Henrik Lundqvist. Calling him out to the media, leaving him in to give up 7 goals, and then benching him for Georgiev full time (before this mysterious "injury" just popped up). I pray that AV bit off more than he could chew going to war with the king of the franchise.

Reactions: nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can't see them bringing him back. JG would not comment on his job security, that alone speaks volumes, then you throw in the Hank factor where Hank wouldn't comment on AV, McKenzie and Brooks both said AV was not on board with the rebuild and Jeff's philosophy. Then you throw in the rebuild, the kids, the fan pressure ... I mean I cannot paint a scenario he returns.
But why have the kids start to learn and play in the existing system, if you know the next coach will come in with a different one?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But why have the kids start to learn and play in the existing system, if you know the next coach will come in with a different one?
It's important to get NHL ice time regardless of the system. Become acclimated to the speed of the game, the physicality, practice with other NHL-caliber players, start learning the ropes of travel and getting some of that anxiety out of the system, it's all important. Again, I have my doubts as to whether we're moving on from AV, but even if we're actually planning on moving on I'm still glad the kids are getting the game experience.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Having NHL ice time is just as important.
Exactly. I don't care who the coach is, nothing is as valuable to these kids at the end of the season as getting in some actual game experience. With every rookie there's always an adjustment period; getting through some of that now, when the games realistically don't matter, can only help next season regardless of who is coaching.

Reactions: GregSirico

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A lot of people like to talk crap on these "advanced" stats mostly because they don't understand them, when you start to understand the implication of the stats and how they were constructed through each variable, things make a ton of sense. No stat is perfect, and no stat is the end all be all, but it's another tool in your belt to help make an accurate assessment without bias thinking. I myself had no clue what half these stats were until I started researching them and do my own digging and sure at first it was a lot to digest, but there's definitely a good correlation to some of these advanced metrics and dominance of play. Sure they don't predict the outcome but they do give you a clear predictability of who dominates the puck and the play.

I think that's only partially true.

I think a lot more people would be open to them, but frankly, some of the people touting them do an absolutely brutal job as ambassadors.

Unfortunately, they get a little too "convert or die" about it, and that can be incredibly off-putting for people. It's a balance. Once you start getting condescending to your audience, or a little fervent in your beliefs, your odds of reaching them goes down considerably.

I think if you get someone who can "nudge" people in the right direction, and not go guano loco with the flippant remarks, you'd start to see it become a little more mainstream on here.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

I think a lot more people would be open to them, but frankly, some of the people touting them do an absolutely brutal job as ambassadors.

Unfortunately, they get a little too "convert or die" about it, and that can be incredibly off-putting for people. It's a balance. Once you start getting condescending to your audience, or a little fervent in your beliefs, your odds of reaching them goes down considerably.

I think if you get someone who can "nudge" people in the right direction, and not go guano loco with the flippant remarks, you'd start to see it become a little more mainstream on here.
That is totally fair.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

No YOU

Reactions: Edge

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Montgomery would be nice

Wonder if he is more likely to make the jump if someone offered him a NHL position now that a lot of Denver's bigger studs have signed with their NHL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->