Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
AV is not a terrible coach. But he does make a lot of questionable decisions. His time here demonstrates that he is probably not the best option to develop young talent.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Let me throw a name out of left field at you...D.J. Smith.

Smith is in his third year as Mike Babcock’s assistant in Toronto. Previously he coached the Oshawa Generals to a Memorial Cup championship in 2015. He spent 6 years in Windsor as an assistant including their two Memorial Cup teams in 2009 and 2010 before moving to Oshawa. He has demonstrated experience with young players and rebuilding teams.

In talking with NHL friends, I hear his name mentioned as a future NHL coach. I want to specifically point out that I have never heard him directly connected to the Rangers but just as a real good NHL coaching possibility. Another connection...The Generals are partly owned by Peter DeBoer who is Adam Graves best friend.

I don’t expect the Rangers to make a glamour hire here. If Quenneville leaves Chicago, he isn’t signing up for a rebuild. Tippett has been rebuilding teams forever. The teams needs fresh blood and a different direction. This feels very possible to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Let me throw a name out of left field at you...D.J. Smith.

Smith is in his third year as Mike Babcock’s assistant in Toronto. Previously he coached the Oshawa Generals to a Memorial Cup championship in 2015. He spent 6 years in Windsor as an assistant including their two Memorial Cup teams in 2009 and 2010 before moving to Oshawa. He has demonstrated experience with young players and rebuilding teams.

In talking with NHL friends, I hear his name mentioned as a future NHL coach. I want to specifically point out that I have never heard him directly connected to the Rangers but just as a real good NHL coaching possibility. Another connection...The Generals are partly owned by Peter DeBoer who is Adam Graves best friend.

I don’t expect the Rangers to make a glamour hire here. If Quenneville leaves Chicago, he isn’t signing up for a rebuild. Tippett has been rebuilding teams forever. The teams needs fresh blood and a different direction. This feels very possible to me.
Quennville

I don't wanna detract from your pitch for what is definitely Zib's favorite coaching candidate (eh ehh), but I wanna focus more on that guy you kinda brought up and shot down real fast. Let's take a bit more of a look.

At the end of Quennville's career he played for the Devils and then 7 seasons in Hartford. He has ties to the area. The team isn't going bare bones rebuild - there are guys here and he would be given legitimate real talent to work with.

When Quennville went to Chicago the Blackhawks were coming off a year where they finished 10th in their conference, 20th overall in the league; Kane and Toews had just finished their rookie years. In fact, he wasn't even originally hired as a coach there, but has a pro scout and then promoted a month later.

Quennville was fired from his Blues head coaching job in 2000 for the team slumping - he got hired back to the Avs based partially on his prior time there as an assistant coach, and even then he had them coming fresh off the lockout and they had 6th and 7th place finishes in the conference. Even on the Blues he got the Head Coach job because Keenan was fired mid-season, and then Quennville stuck around because he did well.

Quennville has had no qualms going places that are less than stellar. But, Colorado, St. Louis, Chicago more recently - he likes the big time places. And look at how he got to those situations and the teams he had. Sure, hindsight shows what gems he was inheriting with Toews, Kane, and Keith, but they were all still developing and not some surefire things.

Point is, I would not rule out Quennville coming to New York at all. And I think he fits the mold of character that Sather would really like if he had a say.

Reactions: Matz03

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Quennville

I don't wanna detract from your pitch for what is definitely Zib's favorite coaching candidate (eh ehh), but I wanna focus more on that guy you kinda brought up and shot down real fast. Let's take a bit more of a look.

At the end of Quennville's career he played for the Devils and then 7 seasons in Hartford. He has ties to the area. The team isn't going bare bones rebuild - there are guys here and he would be given legitimate real talent to work with.

When Quennville went to Chicago the Blackhawks were coming off a year where they finished 10th in their conference, 20th overall in the league; Kane and Toews had just finished their rookie years. In fact, he wasn't even originally hired as a coach there, but has a pro scout and then promoted a month later.

Quennville was fired from his Blues head coaching job in 2000 for the team slumping - he got hired back to the Avs based partially on his prior time there as an assistant coach, and even then he had them coming fresh off the lockout and they had 6th and 7th place finishes in the conference. Even on the Blues he got the Head Coach job because Keenan was fired mid-season, and then Quennville stuck around because he did well.

Quennville has had no qualms going places that are less than stellar. But, Colorado, St. Louis, Chicago more recently - he likes the big time places. And look at how he got to those situations and the teams he had. Sure, hindsight shows what gems he was inheriting with Toews, Kane, and Keith, but they were all still developing and not some surefire things.

Point is, I would not rule out Quennville coming to New York at all. And I think he fits the mold of character that Sather would really like if he had a say.
Almost all of what you posted happened before he was an established coach with three Cups on his resume. He’s in a much different place right now. I don’t think it fits for him or the Rangers.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Almost all of what you posted happened before he was an established coach with three Cups on his resume. He’s in a much different place right now. I don’t think it fits for him or the Rangers.
Maybe.

We'll see.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Whoa haha that's an aggressive comment.

He's aggressively awful.

I've seen coaches that are inept, but AV is the first coach I've ever seen that tries to be inept because he thinks he's re-invented the game and is actually doing the right thing.

We don't even cycle. Who the f*** doesn't cycle? That's like an MLB team not using a bullpen.

Reactions: RGY

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Molding young talent is going to a prerequisite for the next NHL coach. As is an understanding that there's a very real possibility (within the organization) that he might very well be the coach before the coach who leads us during our peak seasons.

AV will not fit either of those criteria.

Reactions: bobbop

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Molding young talent is going to a prerequisite for the next NHL coach. As is an understanding that there's a very real possibility (within the organization) that he might very well be the coach before the coach who leads us during our peak seasons.

AV refuses to fit that criteria. He's not the coach before anything. He's the only coach. In his mind, he's bigger than hockey.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What exactly am I suppose to be overly critical of?
Hmm...

• His misuse of personnel constantly
  • No consistency with his line combinations; has no feel for who should play with who
  • Can never ever make in-game adjustments; when his system is being stifled as it so often has been he does not know how change gears and come at the opposition with something different
  • Game preparation lacking severely; whether it is not getting his players ready to play or there being a lack of respect for him, the never ending opening minute(s) opposition goals is evidence of this
  • It had been said of him that he was not good at developing young players in Vancouver, and this has been exemplified here. He mismanages them. He is a coach that is dependent on having a veterans in the lockerroom with a great goaltender to bail him out of having to do the talking
  • BUT MOST OF ALL, IT IS HIS TRASH TRASH TRASH DEFENSIVE SYSTEM. Whatever you want to call it at this point, because it certainly is not man-to-man, is a f***ing circus act. Not one player seems to understand. Opposing players constantly are open, and not just open, but find themselves open in the high percentage scoring areas. He has his wingers collapse down low for some god forsaken reason, vacating the opposing defensemen, allowing for pucks to go around the boards to them with time and space to fire away and make plays, thus pinning us in our own zone.

He is a JOKE. JOKE. I pray no other fan base has to suffer from watching his "coaching" and "system." He needs the perfect storm for his "system" to be successful. He needs multiple defensemen to have speed with fantastic puck moving ability to get out of the jams his "defensive system" creates in their own end, to be able to spring the play to offense and swing the momentum. But you are not always going to have the perfect group to achieve this. And a good coach would be able to make adjustments, have a plan B to adjust to the group he has to work with. He never has. He has had players that have been able to cover up his deficiencies during the years we were making our runs.

Time to go.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Everything.

AV's existence is an assault on hockey.
Get a grip!

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Hmm...

• His misuse of personnel constantly
  • No consistency with his line combinations; has no feel for who should play with who
  • Can never ever make in-game adjustments; when his system is being stifled as it so often has been he does not know how change gears and come at the opposition with something different
  • Game preparation lacking severely; whether it is not getting his players ready to play or there being a lack of respect for him, the never ending opening minute(s) opposition goals is evidence of this
  • It had been said of him that he was not good at developing young players in Vancouver, and this has been exemplified here. He mismanages them. He is a coach that is dependent on having a veterans in the lockerroom with a great goaltender to bail him out of having to do the talking
  • BUT MOST OF ALL, IT IS HIS TRASH TRASH TRASH DEFENSIVE SYSTEM. Whatever you want to call it at this point, because it certainly is not man-to-man, is a ****ing circus act. Not one player seems to understand. Opposing players constantly are open, and not just open, but find themselves open in the high percentage scoring areas. He has his wingers collapse down low for some god forsaken reason, vacating the opposing defensemen, allowing for pucks to go around the boards to them with time and space to fire away and make plays, thus pinning us in our own zone.

He is a JOKE. JOKE. I pray no other fan base has to suffer from watching his "coaching" and "system." He needs the perfect storm for his "system" to be successful. He needs multiple defensemen to have speed with fantastic puck moving ability to get out of the jams his "defensive system" creates in their own end, to be able to spring the play to offense and swing the momentum. But you are not always going to have the perfect group to achieve this. And a good coach would be able to make adjustments, have a plan B to adjust to the group he has to work with. He never has. He has had players that have been able to cover up his deficiencies during the years we were making our runs.

Time to go.
Im sure the organization is taking your observations seriously.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Im sure the organization is taking your observations seriously.
I am sure this is a message board and if you dont like it when someone responds to your very open ended statement about AV not being a problem, and then not go and bother to state your case for the opposition, then you should probably not waste our time posting your snobby sarcastic posts. Just dont bother being a member if thats the case. You can still visit the site to read the content.

Oh and it seems others seem to agree, imagine that.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I am sure this is a message board and if you dont like it when someone responds to your very open ended statement about AV not being a problem, and then not go and bother to state your case for the opposition, then you should probably not waste our time posting your snobby sarcastic posts. Just dont bother being a member if thats the case. You can still visit the site to read the content.

Oh and it seems others seem to agree, imagine that.
We dont have a top twenty five player at any position or any mind blowing prospect.
What exactly do you seek to accomplish with any coach?

Sounds exactly like Knick fans under Dantoni

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We dont have a top twenty five player at any position or any mind blowing prospect.
What exactly do you seek to accomplish with any coach?

Sounds exactly like Knick fans under Dantoni
Love this pathetic easy way out excuse.

So, basically, what youre saying is there is no possible way to evaluate a coach unless he has an elite player? Really? This unbelievably laughable. A whole group of 20 players, that has changed albeit over the last 3-4 years, has continued to exemplify the same flaws year in and year out. Youre right, AV is not to blame at all. Blame the personnel, heck blame his Defense Coach changing too. Dont blame him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Knoblauch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->