Value of: Next Kaprizov's contract

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have no idea how hard a guy will play after 160 games or how he will handle winning the NHL lotto being a target can wear you down. Why does it hurt them to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal? What’s the rush
If he won’t give you UFA years he won’t give UFA years taking a huge long risk for no reason seems pointless
NHL cap will still be around $81.5 mill, even with the new US TV deal and more gambling revenue on the horizon, along with jersey ads. Other areas of revenue have declined. I think most of the other top RFA who turn 22/23 are going to take a short bridge contract and come back again for the big contract in 2 years time.

If Minny has the cap space to do a long term deal with him, they should do so. He's 24 now. 8 years would take him to 32. If he did a 2 year bridge, then a max term deal, he would be 26, then 34 at the end of the 2 deals.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I think with special talents you skip the bridge as it will only cost more in the long run. Go with the Mcdavid/Mathews routes. If not then you will be paying big bucks to guys in their mid 30's

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
That‘s not how a bridge works.

Really Alex Debrincat signed a three year bridge deal at 6.4 million that's how it works in Chicago.

Most bridge deals are two years with a rare agreement on a three year, but it does happen. The third year condition in Debrincat's case could be an age thing not sure... Anybody familiar with the clause on a rare three year bridge?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think with special talents you skip the bridge as it will only cost more in the long run. Go with the Mcdavid/Mathews routes. If not then you will be paying big bucks to guys in their mid 30's
The hard part is going to be for the 2 sides to come to an agreement of what Kaprizov's future production is expected to be based off 1 NHL season. His PPG prorated would put him at 76 points over a full 82 game season.

So, is he roughly a PPG guy? Does KK think he can push 100 points in the very near future and would thus like to be paid like one?

Minny would have to have a little leap of faith to do term for money commensurate with a 90 point player, while KK would have to accept security over max salary in order for the 2 sides to come to a long term agreement.

That's why a bridge may end up being the resolution for the 2 sides.

Tarasenko got an 8 year deal coming off his ELC. 73 points in 77 games in year 3 of his ELC. The first 4 years of his deal prior to his shoulder injuries was between 66 to 75 points, so he stayed basically at the pace of his final year of his ELC. No big increase.
Compared to Mark Scheiffle who got 61 in 71 games in his ELC year 3, then went onto put up over a PPG since, so his production went up.

In retrospect, the Tarasenko deal has been fair to both sides, prior to the shoulder injury. Scheiffle deal, benefits the Jets more as he took a big step up since the deal was signed. You can even through Saad into the mix, who like Tarasenko stayed at his ELC production of mid to high 40 point production, but at $6 mill per, so probably overpaid on his deal a little bit.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
His ELC is over after this season, so what are the Wild going to offer him, and what is Kirill going to accept?

He's 24 so it's 3 years untill UFA. I think, it's going to be 2 year bridge with $5-6M per.
5 years. $8.75mm AAV.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Good point. I'm aware of that. I did lookup Debrincat and at the end of his 6.4 x 3 contract he is an RFA. Is there anything else you would like to teach me?
This is a Kaprizov thread, did you look to see what a 3 year bridge deal would do for his status?

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
This is a Kaprizov thread, did you look to see what a 3 year bridge deal would do for his status?

I was informed by educated posters like yourself that 3 years would take him into a UFA. Which would be pointless so sounded like only a 2yr deal could work in order to keep the RFA status.

Two years at 5.75 million probably is spot on.

Reactions: Boondock

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Give me the longest term possible. If we can keep it under 10 million that is great. This guy is going to be a consensus Top 10 player by this time next year. It also helps that he is insanely likable and a great match with the Minnesota market as a humble, outdoorsy type of guy.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I mean no disrespect but is Kaprizov really worth the money he is being offered in this thread? People are talking 9-10 million. He’s been in the league 1 year.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
I mean no disrespect but is Kaprizov really worth the money he is being offered in this thread? People are talking 9-10 million. He’s been in the league 1 year.

That's dumb money. He's not Panarin or Tarasenko.

Minnesota shouldn't offer him crazy money. If you're wanting to lock him up for 8 years anything a bit over 50 million is generous and fair. 7x7 is generous.
Nothing in the 8m a year range, nope.

70-80 million contract if he had three years of NHL proven success.

Last edited:
Reactions: shortfuze

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

No doubt that it's crazy money, but circumstances here are pretty much unprecedented. It's really just deciding which risk to take; we'd be taking one either way.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I was informed by educated posters like yourself that 3 years would take him into a UFA. Which would be pointless so sounded like only a 2yr deal could work in order to keep the RFA status.

Two years at 5.75 million probably is spot on.

Kaprizov can turn a 2 year deal into a 3 year deal if he wants to, and then go right to UFA anyway.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's dumb money. He's not Panarin or Tarasenko.

Minnesota shouldn't offer him crazy money. If you're wanting to lock him up for 8 years anything a bit over 50 million is generous and fair. 7x7 is generous.
Nothing in the 8m a year range, nope.

70-80 million contract if he had three years of NHL proven success.
Isn’t that the issue here. How are the 2 sides going to figure out what his expected future production will be over a long term contract just based off this one season?

Minny has to be somewhat conservative and can’t be thinking he’s a future 90 plus point guy and pay him Panarin money. Nor do I think Kaprizov isn’t confident enough in his ability to thinks he’s going to well exceed the 70 odd point range over a long term deal.

if they can’t come to an agreement on that then they likely end up with a bridge deal.

a couple of guys like Tarasenko and Saad their production remained consistent at what it was on their final elc year. Tarasenko around 70 points and Saad in the high 40’s on average for a full season. Does KK remain at this production or does he increase into another range?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad