Value of: Next Kaprizov's contract

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's been great but it's been 1 season and not even a full season you can't pay him huge money based on less than 1 full season

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes we can and should. The worst thing we could do is sign him to a 3 year bridge deal.
YUP. He’s only going to be this good or even better (I’m thinking he’s going to even be better as he learns the whole league)
So 9 million x 7 years would be fair.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Kaprizov bets on himself, why exactly would he accept anything less long-term? Panarin went from 2 year ELC > 2 x 6 mil > 7 x 11.6 mil.

If the Wild want to lock Kaprizov up long term, I don't see why he would take anything less. If there's a bridge and Kaprizov becomes a PPG+ player (which i'd be very surprised if he doesn't), he'd be asking ~$10 mil at the end of it.
I see what you're doing there, Avs fan.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Hopefully he's not one of those Russians that just try to get the big pay day and becomes Invisible..

I really like that guy hopefully he doesn't do that to the wild

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I see what you're doing there, Avs fan.

I don't know as much as about the team or Kaprizov, granted. But he's played one season in Minnesota, usually that's not enough time for players to have a strong sense of loyalty to the club or to have put down roots where they're willing to take a discount. It just depends on if he's trying to maximize his earnings or not and if he's willing to bet on himself.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If I'm the GM I give him the money I don't play around with the dude he's played in the khl for 6 years I don't think he has a problem going back for 2 then going To the highest bidder in ufa after that

Would be 3 years I think. He'd be making ~1/3 of what he'd be making in the NHL for those 3 years and then he'd have to rely on teams being willing to hand out top dollar to a guy that had 56 NHL games 3 years ago. And the amount that it would have to be would have to be extremely high to make up for those 3 years. I'm not saying to go extremely lowball or anything, but I also don' think it's a blank check situation.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Pastrnak's deal is a fair comp. He will get a bit more because he is UFA in two years. Six years, 7m aav.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Minnesota should get as many years as they can in the 7-8 million range. This kid is legit. Wild posters were high on him before he came over and the kid didn’t disappoint.

Many said Chiarelli screwed up the Draisaitl contract at the time giving him 8.5 x 8 it’s proven a great value contract. Minnesota should view this as a similar opportunity. Lock up young elite talent

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Minnesota should get as many years as they can in the 7-8 million range. This kid is legit. Wild posters were high on him before he came over and the kid didn’t disappoint.

Many said Chiarelli screwed up the Draisaitl contract at the time giving him 8.5 x 8 it’s proven a great value contract. Minnesota should view this as a similar opportunity. Lock up young elite talent

Everyone in Minnesota would would jump on this in a second. Needing to go up in the 9’s or 10’s is what gets problematic.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
They should give him an 8 years contract and he should take it.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Not likely. Guerin will want to sign him long term....7-8 years ~$8 million per.

Oof that’s a huge risk this season is funny and will have many outliers plus if you hand a person 64 million you better be sure he isn’t going to decide he isn’t hungry anymore.
Short bridge is the way to go

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Oof that’s a huge risk this season is funny and will have many outliers plus if you hand a person 64 million you better be sure he isn’t going to decide he isn’t hungry anymore.
Short bridge is the way to go
Short bridge for some unproven teenager, yes.
Methuselah is anything but that. He is more like Selanne, who was 22 when he came to the NHL.
You get what you see.
8 years should be the only way.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Short bridge for some unproven teenager, yes.
Methuselah is anything but that. He is more like Selanne, who was 22 when he came to the NHL.
You get what you see.
8 years should be the only way.

You have no idea how hard a guy will play after 160 games or how he will handle winning the NHL lotto being a target can wear you down. Why does it hurt them to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal? What’s the rush
If he won’t give you UFA years he won’t give UFA years taking a huge long risk for no reason seems pointless

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
A flat cap is going to have an impact on players like this from getting large amounts. Admittedly I'm not cognizant of Minnesota's cap situation nor do i care honestly but it will be hard and interesting what teams do this off-season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

This guy gets it.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad