Toronto
in order:

forward:
-bertuzzi (if re-instated)
-kariya
-primeau (if healthy of course)
-tanguay
-nash
-sullivan (doesnt get much press, but he's a warrior. also, 16th in overall points this year)

Defense:
-mccabe
-bouwmeester
-phillips
-aucoin
-hannan
-souray

Goal:
-theodore
-turco
-giguere
-joseph
-cloutier

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my opinion if Belfour pulls out it should be Theodore. If Blake pulls out it should be Bouwmeester. Then at forward if Maltby has an unfortunate accident (Please oh please) then I wouldnt hesitate to pick Paul Kariya. He still should have not been left off the team. He played awesome in the Olympics. He had a bad injury riddled season and they forget that he's a former 100 point man. He is still very capable of scoring goals.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
IF Blake can't go, McCabe should replace him (McCabe is a worse version of Blake, but plays a similar type of game). If a defensive defenseman goes down, then you should put in Hannan (or someone like him). BUT, replacing Blake with Hannan is a BAADD move, and I don't think the coaching staff will like it.

With this change, we are down to 4 defensemen who are good, offensive defensemen (Redden, Pronger, Jovonoski and Niedermyer), one who is decent (Brewer) and 3 who are defense first defenders (Hannan, Foote, Regher). That ISN'T good, and if one of those first 4 guys goes down, it wil start to affect the PP. It also guarantees that those first 4 will dress every game, as the coaching staff all like having the defense chip in on offense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't count on Primeau accepting any invitations to the World Cup.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Chances are posters based in the east are going to be biased towards defensemen in their conference. It's not like the Sharks play at a reasonable time in the east. Hannan was the #1 defensemen for a club that played in the western conference finals.

Did you (SensGuy) seriously see enough of Hannan to definitively say that McCabe had a better season? I highly, highly doubt it.
Its the same way in the west, almost every west poster on this site I know is biased towards players within their own conference.

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I take primeau. He had a great season this year, and yes, i believe he IS healthy. He has all the tools of a great player: size, strength, speed, skill and spirit. Part skill, part grit, part heart.... I like that combo.... (i wrote a whole argument on this topic for class, believe it or not)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
AUCOIN.

He was very close to a Norris finalist this year and made the second All-Star team. He's as solid and consistent physically and defensivley as you are going to find and very rarely makes mistakes in any zone. He's got a great shot from the point and moves well.

It blows me away that he isn't going to be on this team. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is one of the top 8 Canadian defencemen out there.

McCabe? Hannan? Come one. I just don't get it.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
Jonathan Cheechoo ???????? I'm not you're a Sharks fan but there's a lot of players I would take before him. Maybe later but for this august World Cup, I really don't see how he could be in line. Little bias here don't you think ?

Alyn McCauley ???????? How many Sharks do you think are world class player ????

Sheldon Souray ? Unless he prove to be healthy he doesn't belong there.

Mike Rathje ?????? Why not Tom Preissing for team USA ???

P.S. If all of your sharks nominees was a joke that I didn't see it, i'm sorry it's late. If it's not a joke, you overrate your team as much as any team fans.

I am just naming any name that pops into my head, being a Sharks fan obvously shark players come to mind. Jeez it's like your accusting me of murder here. Calm down dude

How can you say Alyn McCauley isnt worthy if Chris Draper made the team

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
I am just naming any name that pops into my head, being a Sharks fan obvously shark players come to mind. Jeez it's like your accusting me of murder here. Calm down dude

This is just my opinion of course but Draper won the Conn Smythe & also he prove to be an elite defensive-forward through more than 1 year.

McCauley had a great & is starting to establish himself as an elite def-forward & a leader but 1 great year doesn't put you thourgh TEAM CANADA IMO.

Same thing applies for Primeau sort of. Primeau just not so long ago (FEBRUARY - ALL STAR GAME) was the laughing player on the UNDESERVE NOMINATION in the All Star Game & for 1 great playoff run he's now a dominating force that every team shoud have :shakehead . Primeau was great in the playoff but if he ''deserve'' to be on team Canada IMO it's more a combination of his size & his defensive than STRICKLY & ONLY his defensive play.

That's just me.

Phanuthier*

dumpnchase said:
Just a note to all who doubt Hannan or the Sharks players. Most of these guys have be proving for years that they are good players they just weren't getting the press so everyone outside of the pacific didn't realize how good they were until last season when they went to the WCFs.

It's not just with the Sharks it can be said of a lot of players playing in the Pacific timezone who are underrated.

Also Cheechoo scored almost 30goals playing on the Sharks third line. How many other NHLers scored 25-30goals playing on their team's third line? If **I** was picking I would pick him not because of skill (he does have an excellent shot) but because its guys like him who show everyone what a real NHLer is, all hard work and no whining.

And no Cheechoo isn't my fav player, that would be Friesen.
Right... didn't McCauley play in Toronto, the center of the universe?

Yeah... he really didn't get any press. For sure.

Any why would Cheechoo's "almost 30 goals" put him ahead of Art Ross Trophy winner for leading scorer Rick Nash again?

But hey, I guess Mike Rathje should get nominations over Bouwmeester and McCabe.

Phanuthier*

sharkyz15 said:

I got a few of my own then

Stephane Yelle... Sheane Donovan... Rhett Warraner... Andrew Ference showed tons of heart... am I starting to sound stupid yet?

With all due respect, not THAT many Sharks on on the list. Obviously, Hannan is on the short list, and Stuart is in the mix, but Cheechoo? McCauley? RATHJE?! I doubt it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don_Cherry said:
AUCOIN.

He was very close to a Norris finalist this year and made the second All-Star team. He's as solid and consistent physically and defensivley as you are going to find and very rarely makes mistakes in any zone. He's got a great shot from the point and moves well.

It blows me away that he isn't going to be on this team. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is one of the top 8 Canadian defencemen out there.

McCabe? Hannan? Come one. I just don't get it.

Agree completely. I made a post in the other thread on this subject about him, but I don't think it can be stressed enough.

This is a player who last year was:

2nd in average icetime amongst Canadian defenders
5th in scoring amongst Canadian defenders
1st in +/- amongst Canadian defenders
6th in Norris voting and 4th amongst Canadians

Like I said in my other post, IMO he's the best all-around defender Canada has outside of Pronger ... does everything well, can play a ton of minutes in every situation, makes very few mistakes, and has a lot of experience in international hockey. He's in the top 3 or 4 Canadian defenders, never mind the top 8. To see guys like Brewer and Jovo, who just were not very effective players last year, and flavour-of-the-month guys like Regehr and Hannan (both very good players, but nowhere near the level Aucoin is at) on the team or in serious contention and Aucoin not to be is astonishing.

senskickass12

Jun 19, 2004
"It now appears all but certain that Colorado Avalanche defenceman Rob Blake will not be a part of Team Canada in next month's World Cup.

Instead, he will be replaced by Scott Hannan of the San Jose Sharks."

"The Team Canada organizers had a short list of potential replacements which included the Maple Leafs' Bryan McCabe, the Florida Panthers' Jay Bouwmeester, and a couple of Hannan's teammates, Mike Rathje and Brad Stuart."

http://www.slamsports.com/Slam040714/col_strachan-sun.html

I personally think that Aucoin should be on that list and him or McCabe should be Blake's replacement.

As for forward replacements

Kariya
Nash
Tanguay
Primeau

Goaltenders

Theodore
Giguere

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
well, Hannan obviously IS good, but McCabe was the choice since he's more of an offensive threat. also, he loves hitting guys ass-first, which is always fun to watch

canucks-for-life

Jul 11, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:
Thats alot of Sharks :joker:

For my list,

Forwards: Bertuzzi (if reinstated), Primeau (if healthy), Rick Nash, Tanguey, Kariya, Jason Spezza
Defenseman: Bouwmeester, McCabe, Hannan

Thank god somebody remebered TODD BERTUZZI, I was shocked that no one rembererd him earlier then this poster (splatman phanutier) obviously he is the only one here who nows alot

ps how could you guys (refraining form saying idiots) put geezers like recchi and shannahan and plain old players that simply arent WC skill level like mcauly before bertuzzi.

plus id have to say bouwmeester mCabe on defense to.

canucks-for-life

Jul 11, 2004
tml_4ever said:
I take primeau. He had a great season this year, and yes, i believe he IS healthy. He has all the tools of a great player: size, strength, speed, skill and spirit. Part skill, part grit, part heart.... I like that combo.... (i wrote a whole argument on this topic for class, believe it or not)

Actually you obviously dont now anyting and our basing your entire opinion on playoffs IN THE REGULAR SEASON PRIMEAU WAS INJURED AND IN 50 SOME ODD GAMES HE ONLY HAD SEVEN GOALS, if he didnt have such a good playoffs no one would be near considereing him, and if you say we could use him for leadership not points we already have guys like LEMIEUX

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
Cheechoo: how can you consider him when he could not amass as many point as Chicago's Tyler Arnason bothe second year players and tyler wasn't selected for the US

STEVE SULLIVAN! SHOULD BE SELECTED! He has never had a chance he is a top top 20 forward in the NHL and most are foreign

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Hawkhead said:
Cheechoo: how can you consider him when he could not amass as many point as Chicago's Tyler Arnason bothe second year players and tyler wasn't selected for the US

STEVE SULLIVAN! SHOULD BE SELECTED! He has never had a chance he is a top top 20 forward in the NHL and most are foreign

Does Arnason have duel citizenship or something? He was born in Wichita I believe when his dad Chuck played in the WHA, but he grew up in Winnipeg and lives here during the offseason. His dad grew up in Manitoba and has lived his entire life outside of pro hockey here too. Tyler is as Canadian as maple syrop, but perhaps he's found a loophole into international hockey a la Hull, Deadmarsh etc...

Either way, Arnason or Cheechoo won't get a sniff at the World Cup yet, no matter what country they come form.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->