Next Great Goalie Final!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
mattihp said:
Alot of if he will adjust and so will depend on how he's treated over there... He's quite the crybaby (IE, wants to be starter or leave, Norrena situation) so I doubt he will want to play in the AHL to learn to tinker with his style... Much will matter on coincidences too.. On how the defense will line up front of him...

Lundqvist has said he is full expecting to start in the AHL and he is excited and ready for it. He knows he cant just expect to fly right into the #1 goalie role for the Rangers. He got a great attitude.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im going to keep this thread in my favorites so in 3 years I can shove it in the peoples faces who said Lundqvist is nothing and Leth is god, also that Lundqvist will never be anywhere near Leth. (le goalie looking in your direction)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Im going to keep this thread in my favorites so in 3 years I can shove it in the peoples faces who said Lundqvist is nothing and Leth is god, also that Lundqvist will never be anywhere near Leth. (le goalie looking in your direction)
I doubt anyone with any kind of hockey knowledge would put Lundqvist lower than top 5 upcoming goalies in the world...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
mattihp said:
Lehtonen has also improved every year, and his fast improvement made his team want to bring him over as early as possible.

Lehtonen has improved every year? As far as I remember, his first season in the AHL was considered a step back.

And the statement that Lehtonen has proved his worth against NHL talent is not exactly accurate. He's played 4 games in the NHL, won them all. Didn't Patrick Lalime go undefeated in his first 16 games in the NHL? Hardly a harbringer of the next great goalie to come. Fact is, against top-level talent, Lundqvist has proven more than Lehtonen. He's won a championship in one of the two best leagues in the world this season (SEL and Russia). He took his team to the finals in the World Championship last year. BTW, Sweden made a huge mistake last year having Tellqvist as their backup in the World Cup. Lundqvist was the 3rd goalie, but you could easily have made the case that he should've been the first.

That said, I don't think there really can be a real comparison here on these guys' future's. Both players are unproven in the NHL, and that's really what matters here. Lehtonen is a major major talent, probably more natural ability than Lundqvist. He's got the tools to be the next great NHL goalie, and he might very well end up the next great NHL goalie ahead of Lundqvist. But if both play to their ability, the only reason why he's next is because he's paid his dues within an NHL team's system. Lundqvist hasn't, and that's the main reason why I think he'll be in the AHL next season. Lehtonen is going to be an NHL starter before Lundqvist.

While I would like to abstain objectively given that I think this is too close a call to make, I'm a Rangers' fan... and that pushes Lundqvist over the edge for me.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
mattihp said:
I doubt anyone with any kind of hockey knowledge would put Lundqvist lower than top 5 upcoming goalies in the world...

Judging from comments here...(legoalie)...seems like a lot arent putting him any kind of top.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I quit this board if if Lundqvist beats Lehtonen lol. It will prove A: no one knows anythin about Hockey or B: people just vote for who is hot or in the news at the time.

This is like people voting Loui Eriksson over Eric Staal or Tim Ramholt over Ryan Suter.

If you would honestly start your team with Lundqvist over Lehtonen you better drop Hockey and pick up another sport.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Wally112pac said:
I quit this board if if Lundqvist beats Lehtonen lol. It will prove A: no one knows anythin about Hockey or B: people just vote for who is hot or in the news at the time.

This is like people voting Loui Eriksson over Eric Staal or Tim Ramholt over Ryan Suter.

If you would honestly start your team with Lundqvist over Lehtonen you better drop Hockey and pick up another sport.
It's not that far off, so I think you're exaggarating a bit ;) and that coming from a finnish fan who is a diehard Kari Lehtonen fan...

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Das Rancor said:
I would... The AHL is the number one show case for young players who want to make it to the NHL... The players have something to prove... The SEL might have been full of NHLers, but the question is how hard did they try? And they had to adjust to the swedish game aswell...

I'm sorry, but now you're just insulting one of the top leagues in Europe and the professionalism of the world's top hockey players. They're not just there to make up numbers, they play to win. They weren't hired for starpower, they were hired to perform. If they didn't, they'd be thrown out, and that is what happened to those clowns who didn't take it seriously (ie. Marc Savard in Switzerland). But I'm not only talking about the NHL talent: the level of talent and competition in the SEL and other top elite leagues was higher than the AHL even before the NHL players went over.

Das Rancor said:
Oh yeah... Tim Thomas totally dominated in the finnish SM-Liiga this season... With a couple of NHL goalies playing way worse than him... Success in Europe doesn't mean success in NA...

I agree, success in Europe doesn't necessarily mean success in NA (and vice versa, thanks Kaizer ;)). The nature of the game is different. On the flip side, however, success in the AHL doesn't necessarily mean success in the NHL, either. Amongst the best goalies in the AHL over the last few years have been J-F Labbé, Jason LaBarbera, Steve Valiquette, and Johan Holmqvist (and I'm sure you can think of many more). None of them are going to make any noise in the NHL.

Now, don't think I'm criticizing Lehtonen or his success. But don't argue that Lundqvist doesn't deserve recognition.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wally112pac said:

Nobody is saying that, right this second if a man walked up to me and said..."We are giving you an NHL team..pick a goalie!" I would say Lehtonen because he is more NHL ready in a way...but this question is who is the next Great goalie and Lundqvist could be that great goalie. (not saying Lehtonen cant by any means)

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Lundy

Lehtonen hasn't proven himself against the same level talent as Lunqvist has. so if either of them have more to prove, it is Lehtonen. :teach:

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Judging from comments here...(legoalie)...seems like a lot arent putting him any kind of top.
...and that's the problem here. Even if Lehtonen is better (which I believe he is) doesn't mean Lundqvist suddenly sucks or can't compare.

These things can be great threads if people choose to avoid hyperbole and make intelligent arguments.

Das Rancor

Dec 4, 2002
Saukkola City
Visit site
007 said:
I'm sorry, but now you're just insulting one of the top leagues in Europe and the professionalism of the world's top hockey players. They're not just there to make up numbers, they play to win. They weren't hired for starpower, they were hired to perform. If they didn't, they'd be thrown out, and that is what happened to those clowns who didn't take it seriously (ie. Marc Savard in Switzerland). But I'm not only talking about the NHL talent: the level of talent and competition in the SEL and other top elite leagues was higher than the AHL even before the NHL players went over.

Now, don't think I'm criticizing Lehtonen or his success. But don't argue that Lundqvist doesn't deserve recognition.

Sorry, i ain't tryin' to insult no one... But i'm not convinced that every NHL player really came to do his best in Europe... Sorry, I just have my doubts...

I used to think that the Elite leagues were way better than the AHL too... Nowadays i think the AHL's pretty much at par with the Europoean leagues... If not, at least pretty close... But the differences are the rink size (which does seem to have an effect on goalies too) and the playing style...

I don't want to bash Lundqvist or anything, I just think that Lehtonen is going to be the next Elite goalie... And I don't think Lundqvist can reach that level... Maybe he proves me wrong... Then i'll be the first to eat my words, as we finns tend to say...

AndersEriksson*

I love how you've proven yourself in the NHL by playing four games.. I guess I'm an experienced lovemaker after a couple of tries then.. :yo:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hedberg16 said:
Definately KARI LEHTONEN.

Henrik Lundqvist made the final? There are alot of goalie prospects better than him.

like who? there may be some others better but to say there are alot shows you are majorily underrating him.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mattihp said:
Lehtonen is in the playoffs, since the team that drafted him wanted him over as soon as possible when they saw how he could carry a team ;)

lehtonen was picked 2nd overall, lundqvist was drafted in the 7th round (205th overall) so obviously expectations were much higher for lehtonen when he was younger...and being allowed to develop in a top euro league isn't exactly a bad thing (especially this year with all the nhlers). i'm not saying that lehtonen isn't better, just pointing out that different expectations as 18 year olds doesn't mean in the long run that will remain the same...

and also keep in mind that lundqvist would have been over last year if it wasn't for the lockout.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
E = CH² said:
I really want to understand what's up with all the lundqvist hype. Before those goalie threads and before the WC I had never heard his name before. How come so many posters like him more than a guy like Lehtonen ? Just being curious...

just because you haven't heard of him, that doesn't mean he hasn't been very good and underrated for awhile...he's been the top goalie in sweden for 3 years...dominating the league.

2 championships in 3 years, silver medal at last years world championships, league MVP this year (outplaying nhl goalies like theodore and kiprusoff)

his stats for this year are mindblowing...33-8-3 1.79 .935 6so during the regular season, 12-2-0 1.06 .962 6so in playoffs...

even as a ranger fan, as high as i am on the kid, i can't put him ahead of lehtonen (atleast not yet) but just because people in north america weren't aware of what he was doing over in europe doesn't mean he wasn't doing it. just because you aren't overhyped that doesn't mean you aren't good...

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Hedberg16 said:
Definately KARI LEHTONEN.

Henrik Lundqvist made the final? There are alot of goalie prospects better than him.

yah dude....in the free for all one....Lundqvist actually beat Lehtonen like 42-39 or something and the next strongest was like Toivanen with 26 and MA fleury with like 23!!

Lowest would have been blackburn if he wasn't eliminated he would be at like -20.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
NYR469 said:
just because you haven't heard of him, that doesn't mean he hasn't been very good and underrated for awhile...he's been the top goalie in sweden for 3 years...dominating the league.

2 championships in 3 years, silver medal at last years world championships, league MVP this year (outplaying nhl goalies like theodore and kiprusoff)

his stats for this year are mindblowing...33-8-3 1.79 .935 6so during the regular season, 12-2-0 1.06 .962 6so in playoffs...

even as a ranger fan, as high as i am on the kid, i can't put him ahead of lehtonen (atleast not yet) but just because people in north america weren't aware of what he was doing over in europe doesn't mean he wasn't doing it. just because you aren't overhyped that doesn't mean you aren't good...

I was genuinely curious about why so many people knew him. He might be the next best thing. I really don't know..

Anyway thank you, and my thanks to everyone else who took the time to answer. It's appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad