Speculation: Next Flyer to Reach 100 Points in a Season.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I felt that Esche's leg pads certainly looked larger than Mason's... But Mason's are still much larger than those back in the prior century... Pelle's looked the smallest.

I see Bernie's leg pads being larger than Favell's and Lindbergh's but not the others... and certainly not larger in the blocker width nor the leg pad height.

Also the equipment has clearly developed to a more squared off and less form fitted over the years... and protection-wise, when feeling them it is obvious that they allow much more protection for the golie... so I don't know if the size really helps so much in that... besides stopping some angled shots from reaching some areas that are uncovered.

I believe the material used weighs less also... and IIRC absorbs less moisture, thus being lighter in tht aspect also.

It would be interesting to hear from the Goalies in the Forum on this... who surely have much more expertise on the matter.

Hextall's pads look much smaller than Parent's. Mason's are definitely taller, but they seem to have the same width.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Hextall's pads look much smaller than Parent's. Mason's are definitely taller, but they seem to have the same width.

Yeah... Hexy's pads were definitely prior to the larger pad Era.

The width of Parent's pads and Mason's are for me hard to clearly gauge due to the rounded shape and the sharp edge squared off shape of Mason's... I'm thinking that the shorter Parent pads may distort the appearance of their width.

I do know that when you see the new pads that Mason etal have up close and are able to handle them -- I have seen them t the SkateZone and at the WFC charity sales -- they seem impressively large... The equipment from the earlier days of the NHL that have been on display on occasions have been strikingly smaller in comparison... and definitely display where technology has taken us in equipment development.

... More obvious though has to be the blocker and glove which have morphed from bare bones to huge puck grabbers... from protection to tools. The gloves are much like the baseball mitts. When I was a kid the gloves were small; over the years they have evolved to where players should be embarrassed to drop a ball... I can only imagine Willie Mays and Ernie Banks fielding with these new gloves. haha

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Yeah... Hexy's pads were definitely prior to the larger pad Era.

The width of Parent's pads and Mason's are for me hard to clearly gauge due to the rounded shape and the sharp edge squared off shape of Mason's... I'm thinking that the shorter Parent pads may distort the appearance of their width.

I do know that when you see the new pads that Mason etal have up close and are able to handle them -- I have seen them t the SkateZone and at the WFC charity sales -- they seem impressively large... The equipment from the earlier days of the NHL that have been on display on occasions have been strikingly smaller in comparison... and definitely display where technology has taken us in equipment development.

... More obvious though has to be the blocker and glove which have morphed from bare bones to huge puck grabbers... from protection to tools. The gloves are much like the baseball mitts. When I was a kid the gloves were small; over the years they have evolved to where players should be embarrassed to drop a ball... I can only imagine Willie Mays and Ernie Banks fielding with these new gloves. haha

That's true. It'd be good to make that glove a lot smaller. I like how Hextall's pads look. Goalies get way too much help.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
That's true. It'd be good to make that glove a lot smaller. I like how Hextall's pads look. Goalies get way too much help.

Yeah... Taking some of the advantage goalies have away would surely up the scoring... but still allow the talented goalies to shine... And the good glove saves would be that much more impressive, when there are less gobbled due to huge mitts.

Hexall is a fashion plate now... and I always thought he was as a Player also... His mask and equipment to me was always so imaginative and worked so well together... and always held to the Flyers scheme and spirit. With Hexy IMO it was more than going out to an expert mak maker and having him create a work ofar... I'd bet he worked with the equipment company... and a mask artist that was before his time... and get what he wanted. I feel the original Black Jersey from he mid-nineties was perfect for Hexy's style. Going through his images, I couldn't find good images of the pads/equipment I wanted... but did discover that when he started out his equipment were leather color like Pelle's, and then the new-age equipment scheme began... so he was there for the early development of the new look... That one smaller picture shows his Garth Snow coat-hanger type shoulders. haha

usa-ron-hextall.jpg

hextall.jpg

650x366

392467-dec-1998-goaltender-ron-hextall-of-the-gettyimages.jpg

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The Poll is gone... but the Thread survives... and I thought I'd resurrect it with both Giroux and Jake's scorig prowess now resurrected.

We have discussed the difference between the past High Scoring Era ad the current Lower Scoring Era were only one or two Players per Season reach the 100 Point Mark... when this Thread originated, Giroux was o a good pace but fell short... subsequently IIRC whe the Thread was last resurrected, the question seemed ludicrous at best... Today, while still a log shot, both G and Jake are on a decent pace and keeping it would give it to them.

I'm hoping but not all that optimistic that one or both will accomplish the feat... But still... who knows? They are playing very well.

What say all you?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tangentially, as Jake is pacing to 100, he is tied for 4th in the league in PP points (21) and leads the Flyers. Since the non-Flip unit was assembled in late October, he also leads the team in PP points/60 and primary assists/60. This was a hot topic last year/summer where people desperately wanted him moved to PP2 and Ghost put in his spot, along with Provorov added in his place, despite being a top 10 PP player over like 6 years. Ghost is also leading all d-men in PP points btw, despite time missed, and on pace for personal bests on the unit, despite the contemptible (!) Voracek on the right wall. And they even get to switch spots sometimes! Still.......if Voracek was on PP2.......

Like besides Bonds, Sosa, and McGuire's MLB Records? :sarcasm:

Nah. They were hulking home run machines. Home runs are basically goals. Voracek is Dee Gordon.

Last edited:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Giroux has been incredibly unlucky with injuries when he was playing at a level to do it. I think he wouldve got 100 in 11/12 if he played the full season, he might have also pushed for it in 13/14 if he hadnt messed up his wrists. 48 in 40 will be tough to reach it this year but I would love to see him do it. Maybe Konecny unleashes his goal scoring potential in the second half.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Giroux has been incredibly unlucky with injuries when he was playing at a level to do it. I think he wouldve got 100 in 11/12 if he played the full season, he might have also pushed for it in 13/14 if he hadnt messed up his wrists. 48 in 40 will be tough to reach it this year but I would love to see him do it. Maybe Konecny unleashes his goal scoring potential in the second half.

I agree that health has bee and will be the the key... G has always played almost every Game, but all too often played through many injuries late in each Season.

This Season Giroux is healthy -- knocking on wood -- and I believe playing less stressful TOI... and playing Wing could also be beneficial... Still, hard to keep up the pace, although he seems to have upped it as this Season has progressed... even without Jake riding shotgun. An improved Top PP Unit would help his chances... as would KoneHead potting some more... Coots keeping his Goal scoring going of course would have to continue.

All that said... yeah... G has to stay hale and healthy to have a crack at it.

Jake being off of the top Line IMO hurts his own chances at it greatly... but who knows... maybe a reunion will be in the offing.

... This may be fun to track.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
90+ would be unreal in this scoring climate.

Im guessing he hits a mini slump at some point though and finishes between 75-85 pts.

Reactions: Tripod

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
97 and counting for Giroux and 83 and counting for Jake Voracek which are career highs for both. Not bad for two guys whose own fan base had turned on over the prior two seasons.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
90+ would be unreal in this scoring climate.

Im guessing he hits a mini slump at some point though and finishes between 75-85 pts.
It really didn't hit me until somewhat recently about how pessimistic you actually are. :laugh:

Looked back through this whole thread, figuring that I embarrassed myself in the initial iteration of this thread. Only posted twice, once to pick someone not on the roster as the next 100 point scorer, and once to temper Jake's breakout year. Not as bad as I thought.

A lot of ghosts of HF past in this thread.

I definitely don't miss the Jester and Spongolium banter :laugh: , but there was a good crew here not so long ago that has left and didn't return.

Last edited:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I would like to point out that Konecny has scored 19 goals since I posted this.

Reactions: Rebels57

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Only read the first page but my favorite post (from 2011, of course) said how we don't rely on just a couple of guys to score like the Penguins do.

I cried a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad