Speculation: Next Flyer to Reach 100 Points in a Season.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
What I said early on is still what I think. 100 point scorers are exceedingly rare and the majority of the times that it does happen it's a generational talent (in recent history, Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin making up the bulk of it).

I wanna vote for Leino now though.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
If G and Yak are going to hit 100 points, they need a guy with a great shot. Look at Thornton's 114pt year... 22 g, 92a, and Cheechoo put up almost 40 goals... They need somebody like that, somebody who will shoot a lot and score at a solid clip for them to hit 100pts, especially for both of them to do it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), the Flyers don't really have anybody like that.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
dats81, jphil and yours truly voted against Time itself, but I have to say our gambit is looking pretty good so far. The NHL is as Dead Puck-y as ever and it's going to take fundamental rule changes for anyone in this generation of Flyers players to have a likely shot at 100 imo.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Honestly, what the hell happened. All the NHL wanted to do after the mid 2000s lockout was score, they did everything they could, now we are back, to never scoring again. And it's not like they don't call penalties.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't want to call Player Not Yet in Organization a bust or anything yet, but I think we should start lowering our expectations because it seems like the guy just doesn't have what it takes to pull something like this off.

Wait, did you vote for "not in org" or "Never again?"

Who are you referring to?

What year is it?

Help

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
G could have possibly done it in 11-12 if he hadn't gotten hurt for four games.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He's not that far over..less than 200 total points in his career since this thread started.

I thought he was asking if he's scored 100 points in a season since then. Thus why I was joking.

I have no clue how many total points he's had since then.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Since 2012-14 it has only been accomplished four times, by separate players (D.Sedin/MalkinCrosby/P.Kane) and never more than one per Season, over the six Seasons since the Thread was created... TBF, one Season was a shortened one,

So, safe to say; it's more difficult accomplishment than ever... No shame to not ever reach the milestone in a player's career. Also, this points out how career records from various Eras cannot easily be compared.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Since 2012-14 it has only been accomplished four times, by separate players (D.Sedin/MalkinCrosby/P.Kane) and never more than one per Season, over the six Seasons since the Thread was created... TBF, one Season was a shortened one,

So, safe to say; it's more difficult accomplishment than ever... No shame to not ever reach the milestone in a player's career. Also, this points out how career records from various Eras cannot easily be compared.

Weren't you the one arguing with Jester for like half the topic about how somebody would reach it?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Weren't you the one arguing with Jester for like half the topic about how somebody would reach it?

:laugh: TBH... not foreseeing the future, and the lack of 100 point Seasons going forward... I didn't realize what would be the case displayed in what I researched AFTER THE FACT.

Not going over the 'discussion' and what was said, I do remember that Giroux appeared to be gathering points on an upward arc and seemed to be on a pace that might lead to accomplishing the feat... I seriously thought he had a good shot... I was wrong... so sue me.

... Now I being called to task for following up on a personal opinion about a player from six years earlier? :shakehead

EDIT: FWIW... the prior Season to the Poll there where four Players who reached 100 points and three others in the 90's... The Season before that was similar... Who would have predicted the steep drop off? #HindSightIsAlways20/20

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
BTW: Only 3.31% of those responding believed that no Flyers Player would ever score 100 Points again... while over 52% also believed at the time that Giroux would be the next Flyer to do so... So, I guess I wasn't the Lone Ranger on this.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, what the hell happened. All the NHL wanted to do after the mid 2000s lockout was score, they did everything they could, now we are back, to never scoring again. And it's not like they don't call penalties.

Bigger/better goalies, better skating across the board, a lot less goons, less one trick ponies, etc. The players have just evolved too much for the NHL to keep with right now.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Bigger/better goalies, better skating across the board, a lot less goons, less one trick ponies, etc. The players have just evolved too much for the NHL to keep with right now.

Not to mention the larger Goalie Pads and equipment... that has since been addressed somewhat.

The equipment Bernie had compared to today's is like a Model T and a Lamborghini... Granted, the difference between now and pre-LockOut equipment is not as striking, but I'd think that it still would come into play.

EDIT: Striiker beat me to it. haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->