Speculation: Next captain of the Canucks?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
No question in my mind it has to be Bo, either give it to him now or go with either a rotating C amongst the A's or just have the A's for a year or two until both the team and Bo are ready for the new era.

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
I hope it's Bo, but I can see them going without a C next season. I can see Boeser as a dark horse. The team often praises his strength of character though I would prefer him as an A. Could also see them waiting to see what Pettersson is like in the room. From a marketing standpoint, they should give it to one of the young guys. If they go to a vet I can see Edler or Sutter, but I wouldn't like it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm sure it'll be Bo, but all logic says that the captaincy is one of those things that matters 99% less than Canadian hockey fans think it does.

I think for nhl teams it is almost entirely symbolic, and giving it to Horvat is the most obvious thing to do.

I really don't give a shit who it is, but the message sent by giving it to Brandon "my balls are bigger than yours" Sutter is damned hilarious.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I can't remember actually ever having a D for a Captain. Maybe in the 70's?
You call yourself a Canuckfan.:D

Kevin McCarthy. He actually was probably our best defenseman as well in that 1982 season. With all the luck we had in the 1982, you'd know "the powers that be" would throw us a some bad luck in the form of him getting a season ending freak injury near the end of the regular season.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
This isn't a serious team... this team is a stop gap until a serious regime takes over. When Bo becomes captain, I think it would be better on a real team, with a real direction, led by real people. It would put way too much pressure on him, being a captain on this joke of a team, imo. My vote is let sutter lead this failure to the bottom... not Bo. Whomever they choose is setting this player up to fail. The job description is basically Wanted: Captain of the Titanic.
I was thinking anybody but Sutter, but I agree with your thoughts. I do think having Horvat as the captain would set him up for failure and I do see how Linden and Benning see him more a mentoree than a mentor. But as long time fan it wo uld just kill me to have Sutter as the captain, he doesnt even feel like a canuck to me.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Wouldn't mind going one season without a captain and then let Horvat take the reins. Let the team mature a year together first.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Heard on the radio this morning that Linden had stated Bo is not getting the C. They are going with a "leadership group" of Sutter, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Erickson, Edler and Tanev.

This is not a joke. This is our life now.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
The "C" in hockey, imho, is made to be far more significant that it needs to be. Who is the Captain of the Lions, Mariners, Raptors, Whitecaps? I also think it puts too much pressure on one person. I prefer the multi- A's.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Heard on the radio this morning that Linden had stated Bo is not getting the C. They are going with a "leadership group" of Sutter, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Erickson, Edler and Tanev.

That might not be accurate, could be a quote taken out of context. Maybe somebody like Pratt stoking the fire.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I can't remember actually ever having a D for a Captain. Maybe in the 70's?
Doug Lidster wore it on rotation with Linden and Dan Quinn in 1990-91.

As someone mentioned above, Willie Mitchell was also the de facto on-ice captain when Luongo was anointed.

If that Linden statement is true, that is so beyond ridiculous and sounds very specifically like a troll job, especially with Eriksson thrown in there for good measure.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

What an absolute nightmare. It's clear they aren't even looking at getting rid of Sutter/MDZ/Gudbranson/Eriksson and think they are actually important players, which is terrifying.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Well if you look at the players on the list - they all spend roughly 50% of the season injured anyway. Maybe Linden is ahead of the curve as with this group the team now has 'leadership depth'. When Guberson gets injured over xmas holidays - boom MDZ is right there to step in. No worry when Tanev is on the IR getting facial reconstructive surgery - Sutter will show the group what balls of steel looks like.

Really, it's a critical mass of both leadership and mentorship- wow. If Linden doesn't get an extension after this - I quit. If this move alone doesn't spike season ticket sales it's clearly a sign that there is a major problem with the fans in this market.

Reactions: Toxic0n

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All these arguments about how choosing a captain doesn't matter half as much as anyone thinks because it has minimal effect on the ice is kind of missing the point, IMO-- It matters in the same way that retiring someone's number matter-- it's a symbolic gesture, and the principle behind it alone is worth caring about. It's something that just feels right when it's done right, and like a gross abomination when it's done wrong. So.... hopefully it's done right.

Any on-ice difference it makes is just a bonus.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Wouldn't mind going one season without a captain and then let Horvat take the reins. Let the team mature a year together first.

90/91 Linden, Quinn, Lidster all shared the C. Once the team got better Linden was the full time captain in 91/92. If there going to be a lot losing next year. It might be too much pressure for Horvat to have rhe C. Wait a year and then give the C to Horvat.

Reactions: CRDragon

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Horvat may not want the added headache of media spokesman duty? It's not just the on ice stuff to consider.

Canucks might sign a guy that deserves consideration? This Summer might change everything.

Green could use the Captaincy to discipline the defensemen. Grievous giveaway? Next game, you're the Captain!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad