Speculation: Next captain of the Canucks?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Just curious, who was the last captain to get into a fight? Not that dropping the gloves is some magic hat of leadership, and I'm not knocking the captaincies of Hank, Luongo, or Naslund (well, maybe Luongo that was a bad joke) but I am ready for a captain with a bit of push back in their games.

Not that I think Bo will be dropping the gloves every other game or even every season, but after decades of quiet lead by example captains I'm ready for a little different leadership style.

Again not knocking Hank. He's been a great captain. Naslund was a bit emo but was still a good captain and the right choice at the time imo. But even Gentle Joe Thornton took liberties with Hank, and I'd like our next captain (Bo) to be a bit more willing to grab a guy by the jersey when that is the appropriate response.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Just curious, who was the last captain to get into a fight? Not that dropping the gloves is some magic hat of leadership, and I'm not knocking the captaincies of Hank, Luongo, or Naslund (well, maybe Luongo that was a bad joke) but I am ready for a captain with a bit of push back in their games.
Linden was HORRIBLE at fighting (reason why he would rarely if ever fight). Pre-fat Tkachuk did his best Marchand punching Sedin imitation YEARS before. I could easily understand why Linden just stood and took it (this was remember an IN SHAPE Tkachuk who would've beat-up Linden pretty badly). It took Momesso swooping in & acting as sheriff to clean house.

Still, I would consider Linden THE type of Captain you want. He lead by example (not taking a shift off). Didn't hurt that he also had skills (I actually thought he was one of the better Team Canada forwards in the Nagano Olympics - though maybe that's my Canuck bias setting-in). He could throw a great hit (no need to link that player thru the boards clip) - he just wasn't good at fighting.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
In the unlikely event we land Tavares, do you give it to a guy who has never been a Canuck before? In any case it should probably be Horvat, Edler is gone after next year and likely Tanev soon thereafter.

Didn't the Islanders give the "C" to Linden the second they traded for him?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Linden was HORRIBLE at fighting (reason why he would rarely if ever fight). Pre-fat Tkachuk did his best Marchand punching Sedin imitation YEARS before. I could easily understand why Linden just stood and took it (this was remember an IN SHAPE Tkachuk who would've beat-up Linden pretty badly). It took Momesso swooping in & acting as sheriff to clean house.

Still, I would consider Linden THE type of Captain you want. He lead by example (not taking a shift off). Didn't hurt that he also had skills (I actually thought he was one of the better Team Canada forwards in the Nagano Olympics - though maybe that's my Canuck bias setting-in). He could throw a great hit (no need to link that player thru the boards clip) - he just wasn't good at fighting.

Yeah in a lot of ways TL was the prototype for an NHL captain. Raised his game when stakes were highest, consistent effort, well spoken, and could dish out some physical play even if, as you've said, he couldn't fight jis way out of an open door.

On paper Bo has a lot of the same attributes Trevor did, including a natural maturity at a young age. Now hopefully they don't go and turn a top 6 centre into a 3rd line winger like they did with Linden.

Reactions: Hit the post

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Not that I think Bo will be dropping the gloves every other game or even every season, but after decades of quiet lead by example captains I'm ready for a little different leadership style.

Again not knocking Hank. He's been a great captain. Naslund was a bit emo but was still a good captain and the right choice at the time imo. But even Gentle Joe Thornton took liberties with Hank, and I'd like our next captain (Bo) to be a bit more willing to grab a guy by the jersey when that is the appropriate response.

Hank has been a decent captain but I agree with you; I would prefer a guy like,say, Iginla who would often fight his own battles and would often come to the assistance of his teammates despite not being a fighter per se. Naslund was arguably the worst captain that we have ever had and Lou wasn't a captain at all other than in name (Willie Mitchell was the de facto captain during that time). You have to go back to Linden to find a truly great captain on this team.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Hank has been a decent captain but I agree with you; I would prefer a guy like,say, Iginla who would often fight his own battles and would often come to the assistance of his teammates despite not being a fighter per se. Naslund was arguably the worst captain that we have ever had and Lou wasn't a captain at all other than in name (Willie Mitchell was the de facto captain during that time). You have to go back to Linden to find a truly great captain on this team.

Well I would say Hank has been a great captain, even if I would like to see a bit more emotion from the next guy. As for Iginla, ya okay but Iginla is a pretty rare bird.

I think Bo checks most of the boxes I look for in a captain and he's really a no brainer imo. Only question is whether its next year or the following one.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I think Bo does the opposite of crumble under the pressure of the C and takes his game to another level.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If they named Brandon Sutter captain... I don't know if I could be a Canucks fan anymore. It's gotta be Bo.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think Bo does the opposite of crumble under the pressure of the C and takes his game to another level.

I think Bo has always been wired for this kind of role. He welcomes it. And as much as Henrik deserves all the accolades they will receive this week it really is time for a change with a new leadership group.

I know many Canuck fans are heartbroken but good players retire all the time and teams move forward, new players and leaders emerge.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This isn't a serious team... this team is a stop gap until a serious regime takes over. When Bo becomes captain, I think it would be better on a real team, with a real direction, led by real people. It would put way too much pressure on him, being a captain on this joke of a team, imo. My vote is let sutter lead this failure to the bottom... not Bo. Whomever they choose is setting this player up to fail. The job description is basically Wanted: Captain of the Titanic.

That is how to do it. Have a sacrificial goat as a short term captain for the next year or two of rebuilding, someone with name recognition, but also someone people don't give a shit about. Sutter is perfect for the job. One or two years from now, when the team is ready to start being good again, strip Sutter of the C and give it Horvat.

* Sutter fronts up for the losses
* Canucks/fans get a rest break between eras/long term captains
* Horvat rides the recovery wave.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Zippy was in a coma during the Messier years. That piece of **** was the worst C in Canucks history. It's THE supreme insult to call Naslund a worse Captain. **** Messier & **** .....err you get the idea.

I'll agree that Mess was all but useless but Naslund was awful, no leadership whatsoever. If he has a shred of leadership in him the whole Moore/Bertuzzi fiasco doesn't happen.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm torn between Horvat and Tanev. Not that I don't think Horvat shouldn't get it, doesn't deserve it, or can't handle it yet, just think Tanev is the perfect kind of temperment to wear the C for a young team.

DRich82

Sep 30, 2009
Changing of the guard - During their retirement ceremony, (hopefully Season opener at home) trot out Hank wearing the C and have him take off his jersey as it rises to the rafters. At the same time, have him hand Bo a new jersey with the C on it and Bo puts it on.

It's time for Bo to take over this team.

Reactions: dim jim

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Agree with Bo as the choice. It is silly to suggest an interim captain, it makes no sense. Who would want the job, knowing that in a year or two they will get turfed?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If Dorsett was healthy he would probably be a front runner. Says a lot about the state of this team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gotta' be Bo.....he's the clear leader of the next core of Canucks.....only other candidates are Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson or Sutter....and half of them should be traded anyway.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Didn't Linden just say the core leadership group on the team is the Sutter's, the Gudbranson's, the DelZotto's a couple of day's ago?...he just told everybody where the letters are going. Fuuuuu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad